Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 423363 times)

cindyj

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1080 on: August 22, 2011, 01:25:58 pm »
Hey, all!  Been off for a few weeks...moved out of house, moved in with mother n law, renovating new house (you wouldn't believe the condition it was in - scary), getting my son ready to go to Japan next week - he'll be gone for almost a year  :-[  So, I have done little to no exercise, ok none!  Hope to get somewhat back to normal in a week or so...though won't be moving to new house for a couple of weeks at least.  Miss you guys and your support/encouragement! Y'all keep moving and I'll see you soon!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1081 on: August 22, 2011, 04:51:11 pm »
OK, summer is almost over ..... no more excuses!!  Kids back in school ..... lives getting back to "normal."

Finally made it back to the gym today.  Did better than I thought I would ...... 12 minutes on the treadmill, plus several of the nautilus machines of my old (pre-second AN surgery) routine.  Just needed to make myself do it!  (Course Kay sort of kicked my you know what  :o).  I've also lost about 6 pounds.  "I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.  Choo Choo"

This thread has been mighty quiet this summer ...... ahem!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1082 on: August 22, 2011, 07:06:30 pm »
fell today walking ...looked over my shoulder at coach to answer a question and when I turned back forward the world spun and I went down ... and had to do it in front of about 25 kids  >:( ... they were worried I would roll into the kudzu that lines the trail where I fell ... they just know that monsters live in it and will devour anything that falls into it ...

got up and walked last 3 laps ... got home and found it had to come up the steps ... have some swelling around knee ... put on brace and sorted calves when Bo came in ... achy but think I am OK ... this is second fall in short time ... grrr ...

when we brought cows and calves out if the hollow yesterday I walked all over the hills dogging them out and made it home without huffing or puffing and will no real trouble as far as achy joints that wipe me out ... so this walking has been good for me ... today won't put me off ... gonna start walking with my stick in hand ... we have logged 38 miles since august 8th without walking on weekends and we missed a day last week when they did Dibels tests and we were in class rooms
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

skipg

« Reply #1083 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:07 pm »
You guys and gals with your walking and running are tiring me out.....so not to be outdone, for my BD weekend my wife and I took a short trip on the Harley to Pa and back. A little over 1000 mis total. Great time but it is a little hot when the temps hover around 96 deg. Thank the Lord my balance has been mostly unaffected by the AN. I say mostly because when it is pitch dark and I have no visual reference I go a little slower to be sure footed.
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Kaybo

« Reply #1084 on: August 22, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »
Hey!  I walked/ran ALL SUMMER and reported it until the last week...hopefully I can get thru this week and then get back on track.  Of course, Dave & I go on our big trip next weekend (Labor Day) so maybe after that!!

K   ;D

Clarice ~ Yeah, you better get back to it girl - just b/c you had ANOTHER brain surgery is NO EXCUSE anymore!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1085 on: August 23, 2011, 06:32:05 am »
Yes, you did, Kay ..... and I apologize ..... talking to myself mostly because I was horribly lazy all summer!

Everyone be careful out there ..... no more falls and you Southern people, be careful in the awful heat!!!

Clarice

Kaybo

« Reply #1086 on: August 23, 2011, 09:20:40 pm »
I FINALLY walked tonight...just a little over a mile and while I was with Kendie at soccer - at least I did something.  Plan on walking in the morning - sweating a LOT and then going to weigh in!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Chances3

« Reply #1087 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:36 pm »
I'm 10 months post op for a middle fossa.  The balance has improved, the visual has improved, but I am still wonky.  Before my surgery, I ran 3 miles every other day for three reasons.
1. I love to run, and enjoy the high it gives me.
2. I run to stay in shape and keep my cholesterol down and keep my cardio up.
3. I run to burn off the stress of this modern day life we all live.

Now- I haven't been able to run because the world just bounces way too much.  I'm hoping to run again some day, but there are days when I get depressed that I can't run.

Soundy

« Reply #1088 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:22 am »
even with bum knee I am still walking ... tore something loose from just under knee ... said to brace it and continue as I could as long as pain was no more than a 3 ...can't walk up hills with out brace on ... knee wants to fold backward ... re-evaluate next week

we are up to 45 miles since the 8th... we take off walking around 8:00 and on a good day have logged 4 miles by 9:30 ... I have slowed us down and we are taking about 30 minutes longer  .... even though we are in and out of shade we do get hot , even that early in AM ... have lost another 3 pounds since last week

we took over the unused chalk board that the coached painted on gym wall ... when we come in to walk a lap or two in gym to cool down we change our number of miles nd leave silly messages ... we have a cheering squad of about 500 hoping we make 500 miles by the end of school year ...

lets go walk ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1089 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:08 am »
Chances3~

I am so sorry that you feel you can't run these days...I know how that is.  I would suggest that you walk, walk, walk and then hopefully someday you will just feel the urge to run again.  That is what happened to me...Good luck!!!

I weighed in Wed - I lost 3 pounds since I'd weighed in 2 weeks ago (I gained 1.4 pounds on cruise) so I have lost 5 pounds altogether.  Not too bad for a major trip and not really sticking with it too strictly for the past 2 weeks.  went to a "wine tasting dinner" last night so probably gained it all back!!  I DID go to the gym yesterday for the first time since my hysterectomy.  I have been walking outside all summer.  I did arm weights and some ab stuff.  That is the first time is did abs since my surgery - something just wouldn't let me & I guess I was using the excuse of listening to my body!!  I planned to walk when I got home but got involved in trying to sort my spreadsheet that I have been working on for PTO and then it started RAINING!!!

Gotta get with it today but have a meeting and a lunch date!!

Keep exercising everyone!!
K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #1090 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:47 am »
Chances3,
     Hang in there.  I was an avid runner prior to my surgery.  I had many complications, so my recovery was much slower than most I read about on here.  I started back running around 18 months post op - very slow and not nearly as far as I used to run.  At first it was difficult - wonky head problems and balance issues.  I started just trying to do flat surfaces.  Also, I used the treadmill a good bit because I could hold onto the rail.  This morning I did 4 miles outside (still very slow),  but I try to remind myself that I am doing more than most 52 year olds who have NOT had a brain tumor.  Be kind to yourself.  Sounds like you are steadily improving. 

Kaybo,
     I am also a lifetime member of WW.  You go girl!

Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Jill Marie

« Reply #1091 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:45 pm »
Hi all,  Have to put exercising on the back burner for a bit.  I've been walking my 2 dogs almost every night for the last month but haven't done any bike riding because my eye has been giving me trouble.  After work I take a nap because either I'm tired or my eye is hurting so much it gives me a headache, thus it takes up my bike time.  Yesterday I couldn't take the eye pain anymore so I went to the doctor.  He said my eye was swollen, extremely dry and I had an abrasion which I could see myself.  He said I needed to patch the eye each night, not just put on a pirate patch like I have for over 19 years.  It's the first abrasion in 19 years so I feel good about that.  There's nothing he can do for me so I just have to hope that it gets better. 

Then this morning my walking buddy STEIN got hit by a car, we had to have him put to sleep.   My husband, our other dog (Rose) & I took him for his last walk and buried him where he loved to play so I'm not sure I can do the walk with just one dog.  I know this is suppose to be an exercise thread but I just needed to let you know why I'm not exercising.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #1092 on: August 29, 2011, 05:27:33 am »
Oh Jill Marie!! I am so sorry about your sweet dog - I know that has to be hard. We haven't had to experience that yet but our beloved Strudel is getting much older & I dread the day.  :'(

The situation with your eye is a big bummer too. I am so sorry about that - at least you don't have to bandage it in the day, though. PLEASE, be careful if you are using GUAZE though - that is what messed mine up so bad - it kept popping open behind the gauze & then it would scratch my eye. I had it taped (even the Dr taped) but it wouldn't hold it. I'm just paranoid now...

You're in my thoughts & prayers!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1093 on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:28 am »
Oh Jill .....

So sorry about your walking buddy!  Sure can understand why it would be difficult to go walking without him.  Not fair that it happened at the same time your eye is having renewed issues.  Certainly hope the patching at night again brings quick relief.

Many, many thoughts and prayers for peace and healing.

Clarice

Soundy

« Reply #1094 on: August 29, 2011, 11:52:48 am »
sorry about the lose of your friend ...my CD has been gone 3 years and I still miss him ...just can do it now without crying ... take some time and then get back to walking ... Rose will be missing Stein too and walking would be good for both of you ...

I am still working on my buddy in training ... Stella weighs in at 35 pounds now ( half St Bernard half border collie ) ... I thing she was joined in the middle with a spring ... she is the bouncing dog I have ever seen ... a leash is impossible ... you put it on her and she rolls over and won't make eye contact with you ... at only 4 months old I am hoping she settles down as she loses some of her puppyness ... right now she is a tripping hazard for me ...

knee still bad ... doctor wants me to go for MRI since I have had the two falls from getting dizzy ... he is afraid that I will fall and break something , like a hip ... gotta wait and see how much money Bo has left after he pays for the hay he has got to buy since we didn't make as much as we usually do

as long as I brace knee it doesn't hurt much ... and there are certain moves that make me see stars ... but did 5 miles today ...that brings us to 57 miles ... we are working on a map and marking where we could be if we weren't just walking in circles ... the kids are walking with less grumbling ( we have a walking program that is mandatory ) ... so our laps are inspiring thee student body ... trickle down effect...

Translab July 2 ,2007