Author Topic: Hip Problems???  (Read 5330 times)

Lynn Mc

Hip Problems???
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:13:29 pm »
Happy New Year To All!!

I have been reading this forum almost to much!  I think I am addicted to it!  There have been quite a few mentions on hip pain post surgery.  I have my pre-op next week & would really like to address this with my Doctors at that time.  If I understand correctly the hip pain is caused from being on the hip for a rather long time in surgery.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Just trying to figure all this out now not later.  My concern on this "hippy" situation is because I have had my left hip (right AN) replaced twice & am really not happy reading the hip threads.  Help!

Thanks a bunch,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Hip Problems???
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:46:34 pm »
No worries, Lynn.  I have osteoarthritis of my non AN hip and qualify for hip replacement.  No pain after being on the table for nine hours with McKenna and Barker doing their work.  Do mention it to them, though.
Good luck.
You'll be so glad to be done with it.
Get plenty of steroids post-op.  Tell them Nancy (of muffins fame) said so.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:16:52 pm »
Hi Lynn
I did have hip soreness after my 8 hr surgery. It just bothered my the first day or two but was not an issue once I got up and about. It was the side opposite from my AN side.  Probably should make your surgeon aware of you "hippy" concerns.
Erin

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 06:24:52 pm »
My surgery was 7 1/2 hours and I had no hip pain post op.

The pain I had wasn't my head either - it was my neck from having it tilted for so long during the surgery  :(

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lynn Mc

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:49:13 am »
Thanks everyone.  I am going to make everyone aware of my hip situation.  I was initially fearfull that they would accidentally dislocate my bad hip during surgery (don't want this to happen again).  Never gave soreness a thought.  I am so glad you are all here.  Everyone has such invaluable info.  I really appreciate it.

Thank You,
Lynn
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 06:30:20 am »
Just make sure you mention it to your doctor(s).  I have had absolutely no hip pain.  Honestly, it never even felt sore.  But, of course, I've had problems with my neck muscles so I guess if it isn't one thing it is the other.  LOL

If you mention that you have had trouble with it in the past, I bet they will take extra care.  Good luck and I hope it isn't an issue at all for you!

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:51:51 pm »
Mine was/is more of a problem of soreness at the hip bone pushing against the skin, more than the hip joint, if that makes sense. I woke up with a big pink spot from laying on it so long and they even had a wound care nurse just come double check that it was getting better while I was in the hospital. Since I still can only sleep on my non-AN side, it sometimes still hurts, three months post op. This may sound silly, but one of the things I found that helped (postop) is wearing different underwear styles (like the way they are cut), that way the same area on my hip isn't always being "squeezed".
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:17:53 pm »
Hi Lynn,

I was re-reading your thread and think it is good to let your docs know about the hip replacements.
Since i have not had AN surgery, i cannot speak about the pain - or lack thereof.
But, i did help my sister through 3 hip replacement surgeries (along with many others from my family!), and i would think the docs need to know that.

Good luck with the pre-op and keep us posted!
Thoughts and prayers all around.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

sues1953

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
Hi Lynn,

I am new to the site and I think I'm addicted as well, there is so much information.  I had major surgery for scoliosis 20 some years ago and have a spine full of metal with arthritis in my hips so I found this very interesting.  I never would have thought to let my DR. know.  I'm having surgery on March 15th (AN size 3.2 cm)  I will be sure to talk to him about it.  My spine does not bend like most.  Thanks so much for the great question!  Susan

3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 02:01:16 pm »
Susan,

Good luck with your surgery.  I DID tell everyone I was concerned about my hip.  Dr. Barker made note of it as did everyone in pre-op.  They actually were glad I expressed my concerns.  I really didn't want them to think I was a baby about the old hip but I also did not want to be a BIGGG baby if they dislocated it on me!  They were all very good about all my concerns.
My count down is on & I think I am getting a little excited? about getting my not so friendly friend out of my head.  Anyway maybe not excited but I am not as terrified as I had been!

Happy trails,
Lynn  

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:19:43 am by Lynn Mc »
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

msswartz

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:15:00 pm »
Hi,

I am glad you're doing better.  I don't know what those guys do to us while we are asleep!  But I know the lower right side of my sacro-illiac joint was out for about three weeks after surgery.  It hurt so bad that I could not bend over without whimpering.  I went to a chiropractor several times until it finally popped back into place.  Now I am fine but boy howdy that hurt.  8 - 10 hours on a table and then 4 days/nights in a hospital bed is just not good for you.

Michael

Michael Swartz
"May the 'Swartz' be with you always"