Author Topic: Translab recovery and caring for small children  (Read 4116 times)

go4sherri

Translab recovery and caring for small children
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
I have my translab surgery booked for Jan 28 and was wondering if any of you have had to deal with recovery while caring for small children? I have a 9 month old baby and after reading some posts I'm really starting to get worried.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Translab recovery and caring for small children
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:34 pm »
My kids were older (both 11) when I had my surgery but speaking from experience I can tell you that there are usually restrictions post op on how much weight you can pick up - which might be a concern with a 9 month old. 

You will not be able to drive for a time, and your balance will most likely be compromised for a while - until your body adapts. 

Also fatigue is very common (and usually a big "side-effect" of surgery).

Everyone's recovery is different - some recover faster than others - but you may want to have someone help you especially in the early weeks.

Just my opinion,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 12:33:27 am »
i have surgery booked 25th Jan & i to have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old .. it a really worrying thing & time :(

Do you have family close who can come and support during recovery?

We also live in the country so driving is really going to affect me :(
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

Slab

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 08:34:08 am »
Every surgery is different, but mine went really well. I would arrange for help with the kids, you will be exhausted the first week and then gradually less so. I had a large (3.5cm) tumor removed translab. Had almost no balance issues post op as the vestibular function was already pretty well compromised. The quicker you are up and moving around, the quicker the balance restores. It was recommended to me- short "exercise" sessions followed by sleep and then do it again sooner rather than later- seemed to work for me. I'm now almost 6 weeks post op. I've been back to work for a month- although the first couple of weeks were part time. I started driving again after 2 weeks, too. But I was still taking frequent naps and limiting my kid time (I have a 2 1/2 yr old boy and an 8 month old girl at home). Noisy, busy environments tended to make me tire quickly..... Still waiting for my facial function to return to normal- seems to improve every day and the doctor's are confident it will all return in time.

Anyway, I recommend finding full time baby help for the first week or two and then adjust as needed. You will be exhausted and in need of lot's of quiet time.
10/30/2012 - MRI reveals 3.5 cm AN on left side 
conversation level hearing down to 20%, facial tingling/numbness around lips/nose, occasional loss of balance, and tinnitus
12/3/2012- 12 hr. Translab at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh, PA- Drs. Chen and Aziz, comp. tumor removal, facial nerve saved

go4sherri

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:54:15 pm »
This is great advice, thank you. As the 28th gets closer and closer I am getting more worried. My husband will be home for two weeks, first week while I'm in the hospital and the second week while I'm home, hoping that I'll get to go home asap. After that I will have too see, I have family that is offering to come and help or I may go and stay with my parents for a bit, I just hate to leave my husband as they are three hours away.
Our little guy is just starting to walk (way too early in my opinion) this week and is always on the go now. Looks like I will need to get some help for sure.
I am beginning to understand that every recovery is different after reading posts on here but how severe can I expect facial paralysis? My surgeon didn't really talk all that much about recovery and what to expect other than I'll feel like it's the worst hangover of my life for about a week, I had a good chuckle.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »
Sherri ~

As you can see by reading the posts, there isn't a guaranteed time frame for your AN surgery recovery.  It's pretty safe to state that you'll be fatigued for the first week or so post-op and will need help when you get back home.  After that, you should slowly regain strength but, once again, how quickly is unknown at this point.   Your doctor cannot give you a concise answer regarding possible facial paralysis because it is simply unpredictable and does not always occur.  If it does occur, severity will vary from patient to patient.  Although post-op facial paralysis - if it occurs - is usually temporary it can take some time to resolve. I did not experience facial paralysis following the debulking of a 4.5 cm AN (followed by FSR).

Wishing you an easy time with your upcoming AN surgery.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:32:45 pm »
how severe can I expect facial paralysis?

Facial paralysis differs from patient to patient.  Most docs monitor the facial nerve during surgery so they know when they are getting too close to it. 

I had very slight paralysis the first 24 hours post op; a dose of steroids rectified it - but that's just me.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

go4sherri

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
Jim, that's great to hear that you had no issues with your facial nerve. I should dig and read more posts like yours to reassure myself that anything can and will happen and it doesn't mean it's all going to be bad!
leaptrtwins, I was not aware that it could just last 24 hrs, that's great.
Looks like I have a lot to learn in the next couple of weeks and am glad that I have found this forum to help put me at ease, even if just a bit!

mikechinnock

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:24:06 am »
I got custody of my 2 year old and four year old after my 4th surgery. I had fluid lead two weeks later and was in the hospital three weeks to have an LP shunt installed. Six months later I had my fourth craniotomy and was again in the hospital three weeks. As noted above help can be essential. I was fortunate that my parents lived in the neighboring town and could care for the kids while I was in the hospital. As noted above, help can be essential at times, whether one has an AN, or not when dealing with two kids. I was fortunate that I could drive, get around using a cane and call on help if I needed it. It can be done, even by a father. Good luck.
In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king.