Author Topic: Translab- anyone have ear sticking out afterward?  (Read 3247 times)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
Translab- anyone have ear sticking out afterward?
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:35:11 pm »
Last week I had a translab procedure done and now I'm like Mickey Mouse on my right ear.  Is this just temporary due to swelling or am I gonna have to start saving up for a little plastic surgery in my near future?  It's funny how I've lost my hearing, but it's louder in there and my ear is bigger than ever! 

Feeling a bit like Dumbo,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
Re: Translab- anyone have ear sticking out afterward?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 10:42:07 pm »
Amy,

I can sympathize with the ear issue. My translab was on December 11. At first, I noticed my surgery side ear was lower than the non-surgery side and it was sticking out as well.  Over the past 16 days, I've noticed things tightening up a bit and the ear is up higher and not sticking out as much. My stitches were removed on December 21. Looking back, I think things came back into shape better once those were pulled.

Hope that helps a bit.

Take care!
Eli.
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

Melissa778

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:26 am »
My ear stuck out for a month or more after my translab.  I think alot has to do with the swelling and stitches.  All has resuemed to fairly normal.  Yours should as well :)  Best of luck in your recovery

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:51:44 am »
Yes, I remember it well.
Now I am dealing with the opposite issue.  I have to pull my ear out to get my glasses on.  So, if it's not one thing, it's another.
There's a thread on having a dent due to shrinking of fat graft.  I believe I said that I do not have a dent, but I have since found it.
So, things continue to change for months and months.
No worries.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

moe

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:49 am »
Amy,
Yep, my ear appeared to stick out more. Plus when I wiggle the top of the ear,it is very floppy compared to the good ear. So yea, I sort of feel like DUMBO too!
Things should "straighten" out with time.
I had the BAHA (bone anchored hearing apparatus) put in during the surgery, because they knew I would lose my hearing. I decided to grow my hair out after surgery, which I'm glad I did, because it kind of helps hide the ear. I'm sure it is mostly noticeable to you though.
How's your tinnitus, BTW? Has it toned down at all?
You are still fresh post op, so take it easy, ya hear?
Easy on the bending over to prevent headaches. I know that's hard to do with little baby and chores and all.....how is the little wee one?
Peace,
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:41:47 pm »
Moe, it's too soon to tell about the tinnitus just yet.  In other words, it's still very loud and although I felt like it was better for a few days the last couple have been miserable.  I'm gonna do a post today about TMS Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation.  It think this might be my next step to reduce the tinnitus if I can get into a program.  There are very few.  Our lovely boy is well, he got lots of gifts from Santa and he's trying out his new daycare today.  He'll be gone 3 days a week for at least a month and we'll see how it goes after that.  I'm surely gonna miss him.  I'm still taking Xanax and a few other meds to get me through the days.  This tinnitus thing is fortunately my only really big obstacle post surgeries, but as you know, it's a killer.  We're gonna have to really support ATA to help find a cure.

Hope you have had a peaceful and relatively quiet holiday so far.

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

moe

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:43:18 am »
Hi Amy,
I have heard about the TMS program from reading but it sounds like it is still in the trial period? ???
I survived our holiday get together with my husband's work tonight. Something I just  used to love doing. Not any more. I was hurting. My ears literally were screaming. Good thing it was mostly people we knew. I sat on the other side of the room, and said' "Come talk to me on my good side.!" The tinnitus was unbearable.
I take xanax CR the controlled release type, .5 mg two times/day.
If you are not on controlled release, this seems to work much better than the regular dose. My new psychiatrist wrote the prescription wrong, so I did not get the controlled release one. I can really tell the difference. I ahd some leftover controlled release, so I take one in the morning, and then break the other one into two doses. Grrrr :'(
Anyway, back to the EAR,  probably no big deal compared to the tinnitus, huh? Kind of a a funny conversation piece." Look at my ear!"
Hang in there,
Maureen
I do support the ATA and am a member. Have you joined?
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Lilan

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 07:17:14 am »
I have long hair so not sure what my ear itself looked like before or after -- but I have finally realized I need to have my glasses adjusted!  8) They constantly tip crooked, and it finally occurred to me that my ear must've been relocated by a smidge!

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Jess Toews

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
I had translab surgery on November 18th with Dr. Brackmann and my ear stuck out huge. I wore hats all the time at first, but now it's finally all back to normal. Now mine just itches all the time.
Nov. 18, 2009-House Ear Clinic
Dr. Brackmann & Swartz
translab approach
3.5cm AN removed