Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37330 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2009, 04:12:31 am »
Glad to hear things are going well JB. I'm with Lori...we all need to come down under for a visit... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

joebloggs

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2009, 04:32:52 am »
Yes you all do!  It's lovely weather down here at the moment.. about 29 or 30 degrees which I think is about 85 or 90?  Lovely.  I'm hoping to do a States/Canada visit next year (it was going to happen around Sept this year but Schwandor the tumour got in the way of that little thought process!).  So next year maybe I'll get to meet some of you!  I lived in the US and Canada for a while almost 10 years ago so I have a few old friends to visit, probably road trip-like so you never know... stay tuned for the AN express!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2009, 07:18:04 am »
Oh!  Come here, come here!  New Hampshire, that is.  We're hoping to get to NZ and Cook Islands next winter for a very extravagant vacation.  I've never been further west than Galapagos or east than Hungary, so there's so much more to see.  Dave's been to China and Japan, but he's keen on going down under, too.
I think you should do stand-up but at least keep a journal of your hilarious experiences.
Hope you're on the mend, Darlin'.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2009, 08:30:00 am »
I wouldn't mind visiting Austrailia, but I don't know if I could get used to standing upside down  ;D

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joebloggs

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2009, 08:40:21 am »
Yeah it takes some getting used to Ernie... it's starting to affect me in a weird way... I'm dizzy all the time.  Oh wait, I just had my balance nerve butchered... duh!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Kaybo

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2009, 08:50:28 am »
JB~
If you're road tripping and going cross country, know that you always have a place to stop in rest at the TOP of Texas!!  However, please don't be offended if I hide my dressing gowns!! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2009, 12:42:11 pm »
I can see it now.....the JB tour! ANer BBQ's to celebrate all across north america. If you get close to Boston JB let me know. A clambake on the beach for sure...I'll bring all 5 of my boards and we can have an AN standup outing.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2009, 06:05:52 pm »
JB,

Were in Canada did you live?

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

joebloggs

« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2009, 10:53:58 pm »
I lived in Lloydminster in Saskatchewan for a few months, then I lived in Edmonton for a few months (if you know it I used to work in the Bee Bell Bakery off Whyte Ave), then I lived in Victoria on Vancouver Island for a few months.  I was in Canada all up one year to the day (when my work visa ran out and I had to leave... so sad!).  I had a boyfriend for a while there so I came back a few times to Calgary and Canmore to see him.  I love Canada very much, can't wait to get back!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2009, 12:26:28 am »
I figured you might like some reading and watching material JB. Some new posts on the blog. When you get back on the water you need to work your way up to going out for a downwinder. SO much fun and such great exercise.

http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/

Hope everything is going well.

Bob

joebloggs

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2009, 03:52:26 am »
Thanks for the link Bob - looks good I'll have a proper look tomorrow when I've got a bit more spare time!  I bought a wetsuit on ebay yesterday so I'll be all ready for the cold water in Tassie when I get back there next week! 

Donnalynn : How funny, I know lovely people that live in Sherwood Park!  I bet you were at the Bee Bell when I was there - I used to work every day!  I used to write "Happy Birthday" or "Bon Anniversaire" on the cakes!  I hope you don't go on Saturday mornings... the line ups were legendary!  There used to be no end of problems as the counter only went up to 100 so we'd have to work out who had the number 57 ticket first when there were over 100 people in the store!  Nightmare! 

I know Vermillion too!  Ha ha how funny!  I miss Canada... I promise to come back soon!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »
Hi JB,

How cold does the water get down there. The reason I ask is if it gets truly cold you will want to use ear plugs in your good ear. makes it tough to hear others but help prevent surfers ear (exostosis). Some folks when exposed to repeated cold water/conditions in the ear have unusual bone growth in the ear canal that can sometimes require surgery to correct. I wear one all year except for summer and add my hood in winter. You just want to be extra cautious to protect that good ear.

I wish I had known earlier that you were going to Melbourne for your surgery. I would have suggested you hook up with an online friend of mine. he and a bunch of others do nighttime paddles down the Yarra River. Looks like a nice paddle.
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48010

Regards,
Bob

sgerrard

« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2009, 09:09:32 pm »
Stoneaxe,

Thanks for that link. That looks like something I could handle - although I would probably have been one of the wet ones.  ;D

Maybe this summer I can try that on the Willamette...

Best say hi to JB too, so as not to be hijacking. Hi, JB. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2009, 09:44:16 pm »
Hi Stoneaxe... thanks for the tip I would have never thought about ear problems with the cold water.  Defo want to protect the good ear.  I don't think it gets super cold, only about 10-12 degrees C in winter, but defo too cold for boardshorts!

Bummer about the Melbourne link - Yarra would have been delightful!  Maybe when I'm back for my next check-up in a month or so and a bit more balanced!  I've got a plan when I get back to the UK I'll go paddling down the Cam in Cambridge (near where I live) to Granchester where I can have a few quiet beers at a pub there.  I went paddling at St Kilda a couple of days before my op which was ok.. not as fun as Tassie though.. weather was a bit rubbish.

Hi Steve hope the hats coming along well!  My scarf is nearly finished woo hoo!

Better pop an update on things while I'm here... about 3 1/2 weeks post op (Wednesday is 4 weeks), feeling good, eye pretty much back to regular so the steroids worked a treat.  Off to the hospital tomorrow to meet with my ENT surgeon for a post-op follow up.  Hopefully will be good!  I'm meeting fellow forumite Lupy for coffee beforehand so I can show her my fab scar etc before her surgery in a couple of months.  Whoop whoop!  Hope to post some pics after!  Flying home to Tassie on Wednesday, can't wait for that, will be good to catch up with the parents!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2009, 06:59:10 am »
JB,
I'm so confused.  You're from the UK, but your parents live in Tasmania?  And Lupy is from Melbourne or wherever you are in Australia?  I missed that.  Sorry.
Anyway, sounds like you're really rockin' the recovery.  My son's in Edinburgh.  Wish he could meet you.  You sound like so much fun.
Anywho, tell Lupy Hi!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness