Author Topic: TransEar gets better each day  (Read 65332 times)

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
Re: TransEar gets better each day
« Reply #150 on: April 17, 2007, 09:49:38 pm »
How did you get Blue Cross to cover it as a prosthesis? ....
Jean

I had an amputation of the vestibular auditory nerve.
That effects balance.

Thats how it was written up in the "medical necessity letter".
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2007, 04:44:22 pm »
well Starkey no workey, have the thing turned up max, and all it sounds like is a mouse being tortured to everybody in the room.

My audiologist thought it would operate on the premise of bone conduction, but no go, he wanted to try the starkey because the mold does not go As deep as the Transear.

I have bone growths in my canal that make a deep mold painful, BUT I am about to try a mold for the transear anyway to see if the pain is really that unbearable.

Has anyone here ruled out the transear because of the PAIN with it being so deep in the canal?

DaveM

« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2007, 08:16:43 pm »
Newbie here,

Question for all you pros out there.

I have profound hearing loss in one ear.  High frequencies (above 2500 Hz) are dead.  From 1,500 to 2,500 very bad.
Low frequencies are fine.

Tried the BAHA test band and I was very impressed, but I am not game for surgery.
I am debating between trying a transear and trying a Widex Inteo with Audibility Extender.

My 1st concern is that the transear will occlude what usable low frequency hearing I do have in the bad ear.
Anyone's input is appreciated.  Does the transear work better for people with complete deafness in one ear?  The transear website mentions venting.

My 2nd concern is related to the audibility extender.  Tests seem to indicated that people prefer NOT to use it for speech recognition, and that is the main reason I am interested in a hearing aid.  On the plus side, this aid appears to be more comfortable in everyday wear.

Anyone tried the audibility extender and transear and can compare?
Anyone who has made the transition (from traditional hearing aid to transear) care to comment on the differences?

Thanks in advance.

Boppie

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2007, 11:57:57 pm »
Dave I have SSD and an earlier TransEar that still has the audibility extender turn on (I think that is what it is)  I heard that this feature was turned off for the newest TransEar.  Also, I have high frequency loss in my remaining ear.  I do fine with my TransEar as is.  That is as much I can answer from your questions.  TransEar can answer your questions best since their data will have records and facts about other users.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:25:38 am by Boppie »

mhoyland

« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2007, 04:08:04 pm »
On a recent trip to the US, I went to see an audiologist about TransEar.  I had the earmold made and unfortunately the TransEar was not received by my audiologist during my visit.  She did the programming according to my hearing test - and to the other hearing aid I'm trying out (Widex) and sent me the TransEar via post, which I received yesterday.  However, I'm having real difficulty fitting TransEar.  I'm finding it so painful!!  Since TransEar is not offered in the UK, I can't just go see any audiologist and get it fitted.  Just wondering if those of you who have one did any of your own modifications to make it fit.  I really want to give it a go, but only so much I can take with trying to get it to fit properly.

Jeanlea

« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2007, 06:43:50 pm »
mhoyland,
Welcome to the TransEar club.  I'll give you what little advice I can.  The first time I put in the TransEar I put auragel on the earpiece and put it in.  I had a little bit of trouble doing it by myself.  The audiologist told me to pull down on my earlobe.  That gives it a little more room to go in. 
If you still have trouble I think you would still be able to get help from anyone that does hearing aids.  It's not that much different in how you put it in.  It's just deeper and then it works through bone conduction.

Good luck to you.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Boppie

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2007, 07:56:54 pm »
Jean, Does your TransEar wired unit fit in behind your ear?  I have the short wire and I am thinking of getting the medium one.  The short wire makes my BTE unit sit on top of my ear.  How about yours?

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2007, 06:21:08 am »
Boppie:

The correct wire length allows the microphone opening to point straight ahead - neither too far behind the ear nor too far forward. While the fitting professional has a template provided by our firm, it is not an exact science due to the variations in the depth of the concha bowl. If your processor is visible above the ear, by all means exchange it!

Rick

okiesandy

« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2007, 06:38:49 am »
Exactly where should it sit? Mine is more near the bottom of the ear.

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2007, 07:29:31 am »
The microphone is on the hearing aid part, immediately behind where the connector wire joins the BTE. It should sit on the top of the ear and point (approximately) straight ahead so that it efficiently picks up input similar to how the normal ear performs.

Rick

okiesandy

« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2007, 06:06:44 pm »
Rick,

When I get mine back I am going to check out where the thing sits. Could this be some of my problem with the low quality of hearing I got with it?  I was in Kansas City with my son and had the one in before the last one. He was sitting behind me and has a deep voice. I could hear him so well it actually made me jump. More to ponder I guess. I may have to make that trip to Knoxville yet. Thanks!!

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Jeanlea

« Reply #161 on: June 10, 2007, 06:26:26 pm »
Boppie,

My TransEar sits behind my ear.  The top of it is just below the top of my ear.  I think that's where it's supposed to be.  I got the "small" size because I have tiny ears.  I remember that my audiologist measured it. 

I feel lucky that mine fits so well.  I've never had to do anything to it since the day I got it.  It came fitting perfectly. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

pixie1223

« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:53 pm »
Exactly WHAT is aTransear? I haven't hear of this before. And what price am I looking at? Does it help with balance problems and tinnitus? Where can I get one....if it works.  :)

Pixie
Radiosurgery 1999
4900cGy - 20 fractions

Boppie

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2007, 11:04:02 pm »
TransEAr is a bone conduction hearing aid worn inside the deaf ear canal.  It transfers  sound wirelessly through the skull bones to the good side cochlea.  No it doesn't change balance, nor does it eliminate tinnitus.  You can learn all about TransEar and how to get one from the TransEar web site.  TransEar.com

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2007, 05:25:35 pm »
Exactly WHAT is aTransear? I haven't hear of this before. And what price am I looking at? Does it help with balance problems and tinnitus? Where can I get one....if it works.  :)

Pixie
Radiosurgery 1999
4900cGy - 20 fractions

3200 dollars.
Make sure it works for your lifestyle.
I was able to get insurance to code it as a hearing prosthetic for balance and location. The underwriters were told they could spend 60 grand on a BAHA implant or try the transear. Some people have luck getting it some dont. I jumped on it right after surgery and had a CM go through the process of getting it approved.