Author Topic: diagnosed in October  (Read 3232 times)

marda

diagnosed in October
« on: December 12, 2010, 04:33:29 pm »
My husband was recently diagnosed with an AN 1.4 cm.  We are from Michigan.  Any suggestions for Drs.?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: diagnosed in October
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:05 pm »
marda .....

Welcome to this forum!  I do not live in Michigan, but others on the forum do and may be able to direct you to physicians in Michigan who are greatly experienced dealing with ANs.  Many of us traveled quite a distance to seek treatment from the most experienced medical personnel we could find.  My neurosurgeon is at Duke University in North Carolina (a 5 hour drive from where I live).  House Ear Institute in Los Angeles is a large AN treatment center (who will evaluate MRIs for free).  Stanford University (CA), University of Pittsburgh (PA), and Wake Forest Medical Center (NC) all have excellent reputations for radiation treatment of ANs.  There are many others around the country so I would urge you to do your research for the physicians with the most experience specifically with acoustic neuromas.

At 1.4cm your husband should have several options ..... depending upon the tumor's exact location and his symptoms.

In the meantime, I would urge you to send for the free Acoustic Neuroma Association's free materials.  ( see:  http://anausa.org/sc/apps/forms/forms.cgi  )  They contain a wealth of good information and much reassurance.

Gather your questions together and your new friends on here will share their own experiences with you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:35 am »
There are excellent drs. at  the U of M hospital.  A good friend of mine is an anesthesiologist for a head and neck surgery group there, and he was invaluable to me as a point of reference.  I would have to check on specific names, but would be glad to do that if you need them.
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Mark241

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:50 am »
Hi and welcome. Im originally from Belleville, MI, and most of my family still live there. My sister had neurosurgey at U of M, not AN related, but she was very impressed with the care. I had my surgeries Phoenix, AZ at Barrows Neurological Institute. My surgen in 2006 was Dr. Nicholas Bambakidas, he now heads neurosurgery at Case Western Reserve in Cleveland OH, which is kinda close. You and your husband have time to gather as much information as you can, and figuer out your plan of treatment, givin the size of the AN. Good Luck to you.   
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
Some drs from U of M talked at the AN symposium last year and seemed very good.      There are others who have been to Michigan Ear.    I think Institute is in it too.             It might be quite a ways but I go to Univ of Iowa for treatment.       I know it is a ways as I am in central Iowa but our daughter lives in Lansing so have made the drive.               Your AN is small enough that have some time to research it and decide what is the best treatment for you!             
                                                                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
MEI (Michigan Ear Institute) - Dr. Kartush, Dr. LaRoue

University of Michigan - Dr. Telian

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways