Author Topic: New member from Denmark - preparations for surgery  (Read 7259 times)

wendysig

Re: New member from Denmark - preparations for surgery
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »
Kenneth,
Welcome to this forum I'm sorry to be a little bit late in putting my my two cents worth.  Please don't feal you are being weak if you are feeling overwhelmed right now.   For me the initial diagnosis of having an AN was a scary one but I soon realized I could deal with it, could survive it and it would make me stronger.  One of the problems with having an acoustic neuroma is that you look perfectly fine to everyone else -- no one can see the things you are feeling so it is hard for them to relate.  This can even be true of doctors.  The ENT who diagnosed me, for whatever reason, didn't believe me when I told him my dizziness and off balance feeling was getting worse.  When I had my next balance test in the surgeon's office it shjowed exactly what I desrcribed -- an increase in balance problems.  The point I'm trying to make is doctors are not God -- if one is not helping you move on and find someone who will.   I lost most of the hearing in my right ear a month before my surgery.  Being SSD is awful for me and I plan to get a BAHA as soon as humanly possible.  Many find being SSD is not a  problem for them and some do not want further surgery and opt for TransEar.  Most people who have either BAHA or TranEar are very happy with them.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2008, 06:50:36 am »
Hi Kenneth,
Since you are fortunate to live in a country where your standard of living won't be compromised, then I agree with others who have said, "take the time off".  Both physically and emotionally you have a lot to deal with.  Keep us posted.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

kenneth_k

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 10:49:57 am »
The military has offered me to call in sick part time. That means that I can stay at home if I feel the need without any deductions in pay. My more offcial business is handed over to the second in command, who will get a higher salory for taking care of my duties. A win-win situation ;) This gives me more time to relax and be prepared for the operation in three weeks.
Once again, thanks for your kind replies.

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 02:43:41 pm »
A win-win situation ;)

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that you have worked something out, and can be well rested and ready for your procedure.

I have taken the liberty of adding your surgery date to the AN calendar (link below). Best wishes for a great outcome!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

calimama

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 07:27:07 pm »
Hi Kenneth,

I was ready to go home ("sick") the day that i got my diagnosis. That was the end of January. But i had a daughter in daycare so i stuck it out for the rest of the day, my head spinning from the news. It was surreal. I spent the whole weekend on the internet doing research and then back to work on monday. I spent the next few months doing research and meeting with doctors, all the while keeping my 'news' a secret to many of the people in my life - i just needed space to sort it all out. Once i made the decision to have surgery and had a date, i felt better. I did not have any of the nasty symptoms that you mention (only hearing loss and tinnitus) but i sure can't imagine having been at home for a month before surgery... i would have gone crazy with worry and anxiety. And then my surgery date was moved twice, putting it back another 3 weeks. In the end i worked til 5pm on friday and had surgery first thing on monday morning. I was not scared, just anxious to get it behind me and hoping so much that i would be ok after without serious complications.

I also had a CP angle tumor. Mine got pretty big (around 3cm), i guess there was lots of space in there. And very little of it went into the IAC, which i understand was part of the reason that i didnt have any other symptoms.

I hope you can make your way through this without too much more suffering and stress.

Good luck,
Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 09:26:46 am »
Iake that time off from work prior
I too took a month off, was at home literally freaking out and being depressed, then my dad came over and was like Lisa ur going to the hospital and they admitted me three weeks prior to surgery.....My tensions subsided and I felt confident..
Just a suggestion, I say go for it, take time off!
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
Hi  Kenneth,

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to welcome you, however belatedly, and I  hope that all is going well with regards to your treatment.  I'd love to go to Denmark also.  My mother-in-law was of Danish and German heritage and her grandparents (Anderson/Andreasen)  were from Praesto area. 

Wishing you well in your treatment and recovery,

Sue in Vancouver WA, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Lu Lu

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 03:28:29 am »
Hi

I too have been recently been diagnosed with an AN which is slightly larger than yours (1.7 x 1.3 x 1.2)  and I have really bad pain on the other side of my face which pretty much wipes me out some days. I too feel as if I could fall to pieces because I seem to be getting the run around by doctors who cannot tell me what is going on with the non-AN side of my face.

I cannot however take time off work so have been trying to keep going but some days I feel like jumping in a hole and pulling the lid in on myself.

There seem to be some great people on this site who can offer you support and information based on their experience ... they have definitely helped me and I hope they can help you.
Cheers
LuLu
AN 1.7mm x 1.3mm x 1.2mm left ear

Lu Lu

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 04:01:13 am »
HI Kenneth

I have just read the response I posted to you and thought I had better cllarify  - I totally empathise with you (realte to what you are saying)... my first response sounds a bit distant ... sorry ...am new to the site and to my diagnosis. But I just want to say to you that you are not a whosss (sorry spelling... I think my mental processes are being affected) - this is really scary - I am really scared - and reading the responses from everyone they too were really scared. But everyone seems to be saying there is light at the end of tunnel ... sp please take care of yourself

Lu Lu
AN 1.7mm x 1.3mm x 1.2mm left ear