Author Topic: Anyone out there from Michigan??  (Read 12874 times)

Melissa778

Re: Anyone out there from Michigan??
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 05:53:00 am »
Lacey,

Glad to hear yopu are going to try to see someone other than Babu.  Again, if you wish to talk about Babu off the boards please PM me. 

Monroe is so close to Toledo, I've talked to others from Ohio and Michigan on here, but your definetley the closest!  I live in Maumee, near Toledo and I work for ProMedica (Toledo & Flower Hospitals), not in a medical field though. 

THe day I met with Kartush I LOVED him, he made me so comfortable and my appt with him was a long one.  I had some testing, saw one of his PA's, then spent 2 hours with Kartush himself.  He never rushed me, nor did he force surgery upon me.  He gave me equal info on surgical approaches and radiation.  I chose surgery because of my age and becuase I want the thing OUT of my head.  I'm only 29 and I have two little ones.  I actually had seen 2 other docs prior to Kartush and Kartush blew them away.  I ssheduled my surgery the day of my appt with Kartush.  He is a VERY busy man and his schedule was hard to work with, we had to move alot of things around to find the best time for myself, him, and his neurosurgeon.  My surgery is May 15th at Providence St John in Southfield.  I see Kartush again on the 5th for my Pre-Op and one more test that my insurance finally approved.

I felt so relieved once everything was shceduled.  22 days and couting....AGH!

I saw Kartush at the end of March and I scheduled my surgery for May.  I also wanted to schedule my surgery for mid-June since my oldest child would be done with Kindergarten, but no luck!  Kartush was booked in June.  Best of luck.  Maybe LaRoue has a better schedule?  Kartush did say "Most" of the docs there were very well versed in AN's, sounds like Michigan Ear treats most of them in this area.  Best of Luck to you!  That is a great airline price! 
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 06:57:38 am »

THe day I met with Kartush I LOVED him, he made me so comfortable and my appt with him was a long one.  I had some testing, saw one of his PA's, then spent 2 hours with Kartush himself.  He never rushed me, nor did he force surgery upon me.  He gave me equal info on surgical approaches and radiation. 

I'm not a patient of Dr. Kartush's, but I felt the same way about my doc.  IMO this is the kind of thing you want in a doctor - especially when brain surgery (or radiation) is involved  ;D

Eleven months after my surgery, I still feel the same way about him.  I can't imagine having had anyone else treat my AN.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 07:58:08 am »
Lacey,

I can speak from plenty of experience with MEI (Michigan Ear Inst.) and I've been seeing Dr. LaRouere since July of 2004. He's the best Doctor, (not just brain Doctor, but any Doctor) that I've ever been involved with. He has a great reputation, a great bedside manner and really treats you like family. While I was in the hospital he told me over and over again how he felt like we were brothers. My family absolutley loves him, so I know that he was great with them while I was "out of it." I appreciated the "balance" he provided because most Brain Surgeons are eager to open up your head and get the tumor out. He really was considerate of my quality of life and made sure that I was making a decision that I was comfortable with. I really appreciated that.

I can't say enough good things about him, and this is coming from a guy who didn't have a "textbook" surgery. I had some complications, (no reflection on the Dr's) and I'd still put him up against anyone. While in the hospital, I actually saw a lot of the folks from the MEI practice and they were all great. It's been almost 4 years since my first surgery and still when I walk in that place, people know me by name and nurses know my whole story. It's nice.

When it was time for my second surgery, I didn't even consider switching Dr's. That guy has been in my head twice and if God forbid there was a third time needed, he's be my Dr. again.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Good luck with everything!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:00:48 am by msuscottie »

Patch

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 04:25:24 pm »
I'm from Columbus, Oh and had treatment at Riverside Methodist Hospital
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 09:12:21 pm »
Melissa and Scott,
I DID get my surgery changed from Dr. Babu, to Dr. LaRouere!!!  I'm so happy.
I feel so much better about this whole thing....and so much more comfortable.
I have the surgery set for June 26th.  It seems a long time away, but I hope it goes fast.
This is only 10 days later than my previous surgery was set for.
Hi to everyone, and thanks for answering me.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:07 am »
I think you'll be very happy with Dr. LaRouere. You can tell him Scott Ryan said hello   :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 02:16:10 pm »
Lacey -

June 26th will be here before you know it  :)

If you haven't already, please put your surgery date on the AN Calendar.  We like to keep track of these things so we can send our best thoughts, wishes, and prayers.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lacey7

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:24 pm »
Hi Jan and Melissa, and Scott, and everyone else out there!!!
Thanks for all your wonderful replies.  I haven't had a chance to talk to my new surgeon yet (Dr. LaRoure).  Are all of you generally admitted the morning of surgery?
Also......(and I know everyone is different in this answer)....but after 5-7 days at home after, do you feel you still need help with balance, etc.?  My daughter is coming 2 days before surgery, and my daughter-in-law is coming right as I get home.  I just wondered how much I will need my d-i-l (who is an RN), when I get home???
Thank you wonderful people.  I can tell I have wonderful support, and prayers offered here.
Love,
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 06:26:46 am »
Lacey -

I don't know about others, but I was admitted the morning of surgery.  I had to have some pre op tests - blood, chest x-ray, etc - a few weeks prior to surgery.

Once you are released from the hospital, your balance may still be off for a while and you are generally still very fatigued.  There will be restrictions also.  You aren't allowed to drive immediately, and I know that my doctors wouldn't let me lift heavy objects or put my head below my knees (bend at the waist) for a period of time.  You will be able to function fairly well once you get home, but having help for a few days or a few weeks can't hurt. 

Jan
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 06:38:29 am by leapyrtwins »

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 06:35:27 am »
Lacey,

I was admitted the morning of surgery. I believe I had to be there by 6. I would give yourself about 2 weeks to regain your balance and get stronger. After that, you will still feel some effects, but should be able to do most things without assistance. Everyone is different. After my first surgery, I was in the hospital for a month and after my second surgery, I was in for 3 days, so it really depends. I think typically you're out in a few days and after a week or two, you should be feeling good enough to do most things on your own. If someone is with you for the first week to two weeks, I think that should be ok. But everyone is different. You'll probably be running around the hospital the day after surgery wanting to get home   :)

Cheryl R

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 07:13:39 am »
It is hard to say about the balance issue as it varies with each person.         I have been very lucky and now have had 4 surgeries due to being a NF2 person.      I have been up on my own to walk without help on day 2 after each surgery.                 I of course have been tired at first and not a long distance walker for several days and did iin time.                 Darkness at night is hard so make sure you have some nightlights.
  I also have been tired every time for 2 weeks and after that  feel I improve.           
                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lacey7

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 12:41:06 am »
I have one other question for anyone who had their surgery done at Providence Hospital in Michigan.
Do they have hotels close by, for relatives to stay for a few days, so they can be close.  We live about an hour and 15 min. from MIch. Ear.  I know that Providence is reasonably close to that....but not sure how close.
With the price of gas, it seems it would be cheaper to stay close by, at least for a few days, at a motel or hotel.
Anyone know???  Did anyone else do that?
Thanks so much, and please know how much I appreciate each and every one of you!!!!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 12:49:26 am »
Lacey -

I didn't have surgery at Michigan Ear, but I would imagine they have patients who travel from other states to have surgery.  You might want to ask them about places to stay that are close to the hospital.  They might even have a hotel/motel they typically recommend to patients and their families.

As for the price of gas, ugg!  It's up to $3.99 per gallon here.  Back in the Fall, I had heard $4 per gallon by summer, but I'm thinking it will be more like $5 per gallon by the time summer finally gets here :o

Jan

Curt

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 05:26:04 am »
Lacey, besides asking Michigan Ear Clinic, check with the hospital too. Often they have arrangements with nearby hotels with better rates for families of patients. That was the case in Florida when my Dad had his AN surgery. It wouldn't hurt to ask the hotel either, though you would probably want to talk to them directly, not through their normal reservation system.  Good luck.

Cheryl R

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 06:37:41 am »
I think most hotels near big university hospitals have a hospital rate.        Iowa City does and we have used them that whenever we even just go see the dr for a appt.               It helps to ask each one what the rate is as when I just had surgery in April the Fairfield Inn was  $20 cheaper than the other ones.   The rates have been going up over time.                Some hotels even have shuttle service too.
If a person ever happens to go see Jackie Diels too for the facial therapy, one is told about a special rate also and given info on how to do that. 
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care