Author Topic: 6 month anniversary  (Read 2317 times)

PeaceAndLove

6 month anniversary
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:15:08 pm »
Been a few months since I stopped by, so caught up on new and looking over old posts, and I am once again so impressed and inspired by the compassion, grace and courage throughout this special community.  Thank my luck stars for this place.  I wish all relief, support and comfort in these willing hands.

Yesterday was 6 months since my surgery and I am doing well.  Last time I posted, I was 2-3 months post-op and doing well, but struggling w/headaches from working my way up to 4 hours a day on the computer in preparation for going back to work part-time.  Icing head, warming head, maxing out on the OTC pain relief medication.  Was told I probably have Nystagmus.  Then. about a month after that I started getting panic/anxiety attacks which that lasted for about a month which oddly actually helped reduce the headaches. Upped the antidepressants and started taking Ativan 2-3 times a week.  About a month after that, returned to work part-time, then full time which was surprisingly therapeutic.  Now, I look at the computer constantly during work, and then usually watch tv in the evening, but sometimes if I have a headache I won't watch the tv.

Luckily, panic/anxiety attacks gone.  Headaches nearly everyday, but really mild 99% of the time if I keep my head/neck/jaw in certain positions, movements.  Any jaw/neck related activities- eating, talking, laughing, straining sometimes cause headaches to increase, sometimes w/nausea.  I take Zoloft (was taking this pre-op) and OTC pain reliever around once a week.  Also, the headaches originate in the jaw/surgery site above ear and then will work their way up to the top of my head and then sometimes to the front of my face.  Warm/hot water on the face... what a relief.  Hot packs on the neck, jaw/ear area... very soothing.  Also, other things that confirms what I've learned from others support- eating can sometimes relieve headaches, slowing down... really, really slowing down.... can really help headaches.  I walk like a little ol' man now, rehearsing for the real thing I guess.... he he.  I won't bend over, I kneel or squat.  One more... any kind of tension in the jaw/mouth/neck/shoulder area can cause headaches and a lot of it I was not even aware I was doing it.  Being really aware of those areas and keeping them relaxed really helps.  Even certain emotions, like anger/frustration/excitement will tense up these areas.

I can swim at about 80% of my pre-op capacity, but I can't push off walls as I think it contributes to headaches.  Also, always get headaches at the top of my head when I swim, but the adrenalin and endorphins from the exercise really help the pain and a hot shower/soak afterwards and then I'm good... headaches gone.  The stretches I used to do while lying down now I do standing up.  Abdominal exercises now done in the pool, standing up and isometric.  Almost always, sitting down, closing the eyes, putting in an ear plug and just chilling will give relief.

I continue to see my chiropractor who I have been seeing for decades.  She helps me manage back issues due to rotated spine, uneven hips from scoliosis since childhood.   She's been a big help w/acupressure and body awareness and pain management.

It appears to be a slow but constant recovery.  I'm looking forward to 1 year anniversary and I've accepted it will be 3 years before I'm completely pain free, if ever at all.  I feel really luck to be where I am, although there are times when I'm in pain and then get depressed.  I'm going to schedule an MRI if I can this year.

Health and happiness to all!

Peace

4 X 4 X 3.3cm left side, solid, cystic tumor removed translab 5/12/11 by House Clinic, Brackmann/Schwartz at St. Vincent's Hospital.  Symptoms- Tingling on left side of tongue and taste loss.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 6 month anniversary
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 02:46:58 pm »
Peace & Love ~

Thank you for your contribution - and your kind words for the ANA website discussion forums.  I'm glad they've been helpful to you.

I'm also gratified by your positive outlook and continuing recovery.  I admire the way you've adapted to each obstacle (e.g. headaches) and managed to surmount the problem or at least work around it in some way.  Our ability to adapt never ceases to amaze me.  I want to commend you for your perseverance and offer my non-professional but sincere opinion that I believe in time you will be virtually pain free. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PeaceAndLove

Re: 6 month anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
Jim- Thanks for your kind words, encouragement and faith to to me and many, many others... right back at you with the admiration...  Big salute to you!!

Peace
4 X 4 X 3.3cm left side, solid, cystic tumor removed translab 5/12/11 by House Clinic, Brackmann/Schwartz at St. Vincent's Hospital.  Symptoms- Tingling on left side of tongue and taste loss.