Author Topic: Laurief surgery tomorrow 9/23  (Read 7860 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Laurief surgery tomorrow 9/23
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »
Patti ~

Thanks for the update on Laurie.  She seems to be recovering fairly normally.  The first 3 days are always a bit shaky but they are just about over, now.  I pray Laurie will experience a good recovery - but it does take a little time.  I underwent retrosigmoid approach microsurgery and didn't have any neck muscles cut - or if I did, my surgeon failed to mention it and I had absolutely no pain or soreness afterward so I assume there was no cutting of the neck muscle.  That Laurie had hers cut seems odd and I hope she gets an explanation from her doctor.  Having staples on your incision sans any kind of anesthesia is a little rough.  I would have insisted on a local anesthesia.   Pain is not good.  However, Laurie is past that now and I trust her recovery will continue without further drama.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 02:43:14 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:30:32 pm »
Thanks oop2, what a cool site showing all the muscles.  Now I know to ask the doc about the Sternocleidomastoid muslce.

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 08:24:54 pm »

HUGS to laurief from Oregon State.

There is enough people (ANA members) in Utah to form a support group (most in Salt Lake City) ... we just need a leader (or 2) to make a group.
PM me if you are interested.

Patti & Annissa I'll also send you a PM with details

DHM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:27:23 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 10:37:09 am »
Thanks 4cm in NW, 
we kinda do have our own little support group going here.  With my upcoming surgery I don't know that I could chair this right now. Def something to consider for the months ahead though. I have been a Girl Scout leader for 9 years, guess I could handle a group of ANers  ;D LOL.   Also, Anissa and Laurie are in Idaho, just came down to SLC for their surgery.

I talked to Laurie yesterday before they were about to cut her loose.  She was going to go ahead and drive straight home from the hospital, 4hours.  Hope she did OK.  She sounded much better than when I saw her on Friday.  Said the neck was feeling better and they had taken the turban off her head, so that was much better for her.
I'm sure she will be posting something in the next few days.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Laurief

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »
Hello all:

Thanks so much for all of your great wishes and prayers this past week. I'm still figuring out where to post things, and posted a comment yesterday in a new thread instead of adding to this one. 

The numbness in my face is getting to be less and I'm definitely sleeping and eating better now that I'm home. I've been walking outside with my son until today, when our weather turned colder. So we walked up and down our stairway twice- then I went right to bed and slept for an hour! Nice to have that option for the next few weeks.

I appreciate seeing the head and face muscles posted by opp2, it definitely feels like the muscle to the mastoid bone is the one that hurts today- but not really  any worse than a stiff neck. I'm compiling a list of questions to ask the doctors when I call them in a few days and the question about the neck muscle is on my list.

my best to all,
Laurie
AN 2 cm x 2.7 cm left side, Diagnosed 7/09

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 03:01:13 pm »
Laurie

I have to say... you sound marvelous and that things are really coming along for you. No worries about where you are posting things here.... we're here (the Moderators and others) to help with that.  No worries.

Continued wellness wishes to you........ onward and upward to wellness.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 06:00:55 am »
So we walked up and down our stairway twice- then I went right to bed and slept for an hour!

Laurie -

I found it amazing how fatigued I was post op, even the smallest things required a nap.  It sounds like you are having the same experience.

You'll get your energy back over time; take care of yourself  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 06:14:32 am »
There have been a few who have had stiff necks for extended periods due to positioning if I'm recalling correctly.  Scarlett?  Chime in.
My translab did not result in any neck pain.
Glad you're a postie and recovering quickly.
Oh, and I hope you were riding home rather than "drive"ing.   :o
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:16:22 am by NancyMc »
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

doctorb

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 06:45:28 am »
Call me Nancy but I got all choked up just reading all the posts in this thread...I only wish I had found ANA while I was still pre-op, that first week in the ICU et all would have been so much easier.  ;)

:) Gods speed on a recovery Laurief!  :)