Author Topic: Morning of your surgery  (Read 10427 times)

Ned

Re: Morning of your surgery
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:21:14 am »
I remember Rita, I talked with her many times.  I had chosen HEI and they helped me get the insurance company to allow the surgery.  I changed my mind, but had plenty of confidence with HEI.  You will be done with the surgery in a blink and on with life.  Prayers for you.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:57 am »
Deep down I know that is the place to go so thinking maybe if need be a nice train ride might be pretty and low to the ground ...lol.... Flying to places a very short distance in the past going was great coming back I always had problems so thinking fly there and train back ?
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

New girl

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:43 pm »
Hi Mindy - I stayed in a hotel across the street from the hospital the night before so we just got up and walked across the street the morning of the surgery.  Walking over I was scared to death.  Even though I always knew surgery was the path for me I was still really scared.  My hair actually starting falling out the night before the surgery since I was really stressed.  I told some of the doctors and nurses that I was scared and they were all super supportive.  They gave me some sort of sedative in the pre-op room.  That helped me relax.  When they wheeled me into the OR I was so impressed with the giant high tech room that I forgot I was there for surgery.  Then they knocked me out.  If you do get scared you are not alone!  Sorry for the late response.  Best wishes!!!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

JAndrews

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »
I was a mess the morning of surgery. Crying,shaking..freaking out..and I had my husband and sister with me. I went into a room for prep and asked the anesthiolosgist to put me to sleep as soon as he could....he did..I was not awake for any prep or the ride on the stretcher to the OR. Worked out good for me:) I also stayed at Seton. There is a book with lots of patients of HEI in the living room where there is a kitchen. See if you can find me. I wrote an entry the first week of February 2009--Julie Andrews..I put my phone number after my entry...my phone number is the same., please use it if you want to talk! I am in Florida--3 hours behind CA.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:47:36 pm »
I remember the morning clearly.  It took about 1 1/2  hours to drive to Boston and I was so nervous, I kept thinking I cannot believe I am doing this.  I felt bad for my husband because I would sleep all day he had to hang around all day.  The pre-surgical area was quite full when we got there and I was a bit relieved that they would never get to me.....lol.....they called me almost first, kissed my hubby goodbye and went in.  I remember seeing all the prep going on, they did IV's put compression booties on me etc etc.... finally the anesthesiologist came out and said you want something to relax and he off to sleep I went.  Getting to sleep the night before was the worst part of the pre-op.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

New girl

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 06:10:42 pm »
I also felt bad for my family since they would have a long day of waiting (ended up being 9.5 hours).  I put together a bag for them full of fun stuff to read, snacks, and funny stuff to play with (stress balls shaped like brains, etc).  They really enjoyed it.   :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

lrobie

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
New Girl,

That's a great idea! 

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:13 am »
My first morning I can rememer being VERY cold...it was in December and it was cold and rainy that day (no beautiful sunlight going down the hall of windows at HEI!) and then I had to wait forever in the pre-op room (where they shaved my head) because Dr. Brackmann was like over an hour late!  I had all these blankets on me, was still cold...In hindsight, it was probably nerves that contributed to that, even though I felt like I was calm enough at the time.  After that, it was the provervial blur for me! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

rvb755

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:29 pm »
I had my surgery at HEI in August 2011.  I actually met two people while I was in Seton Hall after my surgery who found out about my surgery from this forum.  There is also a book in the common room you can sign while you are there, and look for others who have been there before.  I was calm the morning of my surgery as I had already released control of the situation to God.  I was under prior to going in to the operating room and do not recall seeing the doctors at all the day of surgery - only the prep nurses and anesthesiologist.  You are in good hands with Friedman & Schwartz.

Rick VB
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

patbiedermann

• One day at a time...small steps!
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 06:17:28 pm »
I was glad it finally had come,  I arrived at the hostpital at 5:30am.  Prep amounted to changing into hospital gown, vitals and insertion of the IV.  It seems like every person who was a part of "the team" was in the room with my husband and I.  There were a few last minute questions that were answered and the doctors reassured my husband and off I went.  I don't remember too much else until sometime the next day.  My husband, daughter, son and daughter-in-law were there.  I was glad to see them. 

I wish you the best of luck.  It will be what it will be was how I went about all of it.  It is out of our hands ...stay positive as much as you can.  you will get through this!
Translabyrinthine removal on 6/13/11 for a 3-4 cm cerebellopontine angle tumor (vestibular schwannoma) at University Hospital in Syracuse, NY by Dr. Deshaies and Dr. Woods.  10 1/2  hour surgery.  Got 90-95% of tumor. Hospital stay for 10 days. Inpatient Rehab for 7 days.  doing pretty well.

alabamajane

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 10:34:25 am »
Mindy, if you are on today,, GOOD LUCK tomorrow! We are all with you in prayers/thoughts... you will do great I am sure.. in good hands.
Let us hear from you as soon as you feel able.. we are here for you.  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26