Author Topic: Unique?  (Read 3086 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Unique?
« on: March 19, 2010, 04:36:10 pm »
After thinking about how we all say our outcomes are pretty unique, our presenting symptoms are pretty unique, etc...  I decided to mathmatically figure out how many scenarios there are...

Presumption:  The 16 items listed in the ANA Patient Survery in the "Symptoms reported by respondents" are the only possible symptoms.
Presumption:  You can either say "Yes I have/had those symptoms" or "No I didn't have those symptoms"

That means, there are only 2 possible answers for 16 questions..  If you take the number of possibilities for symptom 1 and multiply it by the possibilities for symptom 2 (e.g. 2 * 2) and then multiply that by the number of possibilities for symptom 3 (eg. 2 * 2 * 2) and so on for all of the possible symptoms listed in the survery (16)..  You should come up with 65,536 different possibilities.

Seeing as the forum only has a little over 4,000 subscribers, then it's highly likely that we are all "unique" to each other, but we're not overall unique taken the entire AN population...

Anyone have any comments?  :)  Yes, I was bored today..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

Re: Unique?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:30:53 pm »
I was going to say that you had WAY too much time on your hands...I hope that was AFTER our chat & not during!!  ???

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:39:43 pm »
Brian .....

No matter what the stats say, YOU are unique!   ;D  Love it!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Keri

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:02:57 pm »
i think i'm uniquely confused! ???
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »
Pooter -

I'm with my sister, Kaybo.

You DEFINITELY have too much time on your hands.  You should check out the threads on the ANA Book Club or the one called Let's Run! or Walk! or Something.
Either one would be a much better use of your time  ;D

And although I agree with Clarice that you are "unique", I also have to say quite frankly that you are "scary" at the same time  :D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:00:36 am »
What's that you say  ???  ::)  :o  :-\

:) Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:21:28 am »
Funny post to wake up to. You need to get out and smell the fresh air,lol!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

badbadbrain67

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:47 am »
Oh my God!! I survived AN surgery only to have your post almost exploded my brain. Haha!! I was never really good at stats anyway.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:06:54 pm »
Brian ~

I'm going to take your statistically-based premise seriously and respond by commenting that with AN patients, 'the devil is in the details'.  Although there may be lots of similarities in the symptoms, each AN patient has a slightly different level of pain, headache, facial immobility, hearing loss, etc., as well as a slightly different tumor location and shape, making each of us, in fact, unique - although we often add a modifier to the adjective 'unique' as a tacit admission that, while we each present with similar symptoms, they are not precisely the same for each individual.   

Now, let's go get some fresh air!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:11:28 pm »
Hahah...  Kay, this was done AFTER our chat by several hours.  I was fully engaged (as I could be at work with people walking in) in our chat, and thank you VERY much for that, btw..  It really opened up my eyes and world..

Actually, it took me about 5 minutes to come up with that number.  So, I wasted more time posting about it than I did coming up with it..

Jan, about the walking thread... I've been following it.  I've wanted to contribute, however 2 months ago when I started jogging/walking again for exercise, I somehow tweaked my knee.  Now, 2 months, 2 doctor visits and a round a x-rays later, it's still got fluid on it.  Luckily, the last doctor said it didn't require surgery... I had hopes of running in a 5k here locally on the day of my 2-year ANniversary, however with my knee still being bummed, I don't think I'm going to be able to.  I still have aspirations of running a 5k and eventually running the Houston Half next year, but I've got to get my knee well again first..  So, what else can I do but come up with stats like this to fill my time?  ;)

Clarice, awww... how sweet!  So are you!  The stats don't lie!  ;)

It's nice to see that my Discrete Mathematics course in college (where we learned combinations and permutations) has FINALLY come in handy all of these years later..  ;)

Jim, excellent points!  I hadn't factored in the LEVEL for each 'symptom'..  Wow.. The number is much higher than I first predicted.  Sufficiently high enough, that I'm pretty close to saying that we are all, truly, unique individuals with ANs.  It's raining here today so no fresh air for me today.  Now, where's my calculator..  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:44:48 pm »
I am glad you found a use for the math you learned in college ... I still struggle trying a place to use the advanced algebra I took in high school ...and I used to think it was fun... but that is because I used to not be this cool person that sits before you but was a bit of a geek and found enjoyment in things that made my fellow students cringe
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:25:48 am »
Damn, Pooter!  Sorry to hear about the knee.  Hope it gets better soon!

In the meantime, lay off the statistics.  If you contact Steve maybe he can help you learn how to knit hats.  A MUCH better hobby  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:51:25 pm »
sorry about the knee too... hope it gets better soon
as far as the houston half, y'all could have a whole AN reunion there. patrick ran it; laura (allegro17) runs it every year...
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!