Author Topic: Facial Nerve "Supercharging"  (Read 6064 times)

Darren

Facial Nerve "Supercharging"
« on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:02 pm »
Hi Everyone - I found two Doctors in America that offer this procedure.  It seems promising because it supposed to fix a crooked smile. Or improve it at least.  It is for people with partial recovery that have function but it is incomplete.  I can't find any real info online so I'm emailing the doctors to get more info. Has anyone heard of this procedure?

Brewers7

Re: Facial Nerve "Supercharging"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:56 am »
Darren,
I had the procedure in mid December at Johns Hopkins  (Dr. Patrick Byrne).  They said it would take 6 months before I should see results, so I won't know the outcome until mid June.  The procedure was outpatient and very minimally invasive.  They connected a branch of the 5th nerve to a branch of the 7th end to end, so nothing is severed.  It  should "boost" the weak nerve and at least improve my smile.  I will keep you posted.
Susan
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »
Susan ,, did you have the 12/7 graft done at any time? I am wondering if this procedure can be done if that has previously been done to the 7th nerve,, sounds good.. I had that graft done year and half ago and have some movement,, thanks Jane ,,, good luck to you and will be awaiting your post mid June!
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:21:47 am »
I did not have the 12/7.  I have always had just a little movement, so it was not recommended for me.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

cassie d.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »
Please tell us how your smile turned out. My doctor suggested this surgery, but said it was brand new and it will be the first he's performed. Basically do you bite down to smile? And if so, when you chew food or gum, are you constantly smiling? My doc said I have good tone, but little movement and suggested this surgery but he did say a side effect, although small, is that i could lose some tone. I am anxious to hear how it turned out. I meet with him next week and I can't find anyone else who's really had it done.
cathy
4.5 tumor de-bunked with surgery Aug. 2013
gamma knife May 2015
Deaf in leftt ear
Moderate facial paralysis left side

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 07:51:28 pm »
Cassie D
Which surgery are you asking about? The 12/7 graft or the one Susan and Darren had?
What has your Dr suggested you have done??

translab Oct 27, 2011

cassie d.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 10:52:56 pm »
The one Susan and Darren had. My doctor called it supercharging the nerve. The damaged smile nerve gets grafted into the bite nerve. I have a little bit of a smile when I bite down now so I am debating whether or not to have this done. I dont want to be chewing my dinner and every time I bite down, have a weird smile unless its worth it! Right now, if I don't really think about it and/or bite down, I have no smile. But I have a deep laugh line (paralayzed side only) and a little ball at my cheekbone so really I have more tone than the good side. It's like my bad side has deeper laugh lines and cheekbone but no wrinkles. I think it looks weird. I have been debating whether or not to allow him to perform his "first time" on me but he seems very good. Just dont want to lose that tone but I also don't want to think and concentrate every time I smile.
cathy
4.5 tumor de-bunked with surgery Aug. 2013
gamma knife May 2015
Deaf in leftt ear
Moderate facial paralysis left side

alabamajane

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:54 pm »
Oh ok,, guess I haven't heard of that particular surgery,,,, don't even know what "the bite nerve" is,,  ::),,,, well good luck. I know how you must feel being his first!! Little scary,, but if you have confidence in him that's very important,,,

Let us know how it goes for you,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011