Author Topic: Balance Issues & Radiation  (Read 3654 times)

Vivian B.

Balance Issues & Radiation
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:36:59 am »
Hello Everybody,

I am not really sure how to ask this question, but from what I understand, if you do not have balance issues, chances are you won't have them after radiation treatment. However, when we speak about balance issues are we referring to actually physically being dizzy or having vertigo? I have lost 49% of my balance nerve on my AN ear but my left has compensated pretty well, I can't say that I get dizzy. I have been told, that chances are I will lose all of the balance nerve eventually during "W & W" or possibly after treatment. I have experienced it the odd day where I feel my gait is not the greatest, but I can still manage and get on with my day, or if I turn too quickly or go up escalators I find that I have to hold on to the rail. Hopefully you will understand what I am trying to say. Would anyone be able to clarify this?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Balance Issues & Radiation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:29:36 am »
Vivian,

If the AN is sitting/positioned in relation to the balance nerve, the balance nerve is already affected pre-treatment or could be damaged by the growth's existance.  Vertigo/dizziness can enhance and is a possibility for many.  In my case, my balance was already thrown by my AN and other medical issues.... so, I walk like a drunk without even drinking.  There are those that have reported enhanced balance issues, post-radiation, since as we know, it is a potential risk in choosing radiation (or surgery, for that matter), but I also know of many that did not have enhanced balance issues (such as myself) post-radiation.

Hoping others will chime in on this with their experiences.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:37:25 am »
Hy Phil,

Thanks for replying. This helps a lot.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Sefra22

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:58:06 am »
Hi Vivian
I do understand exactly what you are saying. I was not aware I had any balance issues pre-treatment until I had my evaluation with Dr. Noren, He had me to do some simple balance tests in his office, and that's when I found out it was compromised. So that just shows how minor the balance problems were for me.  Four months post treatment, I had some OCCASIONAL vertigo. Dr. Noren assured me that it was most likely the tumor itself, and not the treatment that caused it.

I was evaluated last month by a vestibular therapist. I thought I did okay, but she has me doing some special exercises to make the nerve that's left stronger. I know that I'm not 100%, but it really isn't life altering for me at all. I work on my feet all day, and nobody would ever be able to tell that I only have one functioning balance nerve. (Unless I were to walk in a straight line heel-to-toe.....still can't do that :P)

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:17:01 am »
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for replying. I am glad I am getting such good responses. I was beginning to worry. The "what ifs" were beginning to creep up in my mind.

Vivian

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:52:30 pm »
Vivian ~

Good question.  

The conventional wisdom says that the longer your AN has compromised the balance nerve, the better your brain has adjusted to the altered input.  Thus, post-op, you won't have much of a problem with balance.  This was my experience.  As you know, I underwent both surgery and radiation (FSR).  My AN was large and, according to my neurosurgeon, had been there for some time.  My hearing had been lost for at least 4 years prior to my diagnosis.  Post-op, I had some slight balance issues but was stable enough to convince the PT nurse to allow me to be discharged. Once I was home, a VNA therapist put me through some balance exercises and after 3 visits, she pronounced me as  "no longer in need of her services".  I did a lot of walking and was a bit shaky on steep, uneven surfaces, so I forced myself to walk on those as much as possible.  I was fine within a few months.  3 years out of surgery and almost the same time past my FSR treatments, I can navigate stairs without the need of a handrail (up or down) and I don't have any life-affecting balance issues.  However, if I stumble its harder to quickly regain my balance, but this rarely comes up.  I judge my balance ability to be about 90% of normal and I'm good with that.  :)  I'm sure you'll do well regaining your balance abilities.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:10:59 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:29:44 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying. As you know there are always a million questions going on in our heads aside from our ANs. It's comforting to get some information and insight from everybody.

Thanks again.

Vivian

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 01:45:50 pm »
No balance issues before GK, but 6 months after balance nerve is compromised at 71%.  Have no hearing loss post GK.  Balance issues are bothersome, but they don't really affect the quality of my life in a big way.  I think things will even out after a while.  Still, I was surprised about the balance nerve being affected.  All this time I was worried about losing my hearing.  Best wishes.  Nancy
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:47:39 pm by Nancy Drew »
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Tisha

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 06:18:01 am »
Balance issues do not mean "vertigo" per se....they can be just a sense of unbalance, which is what I had most of the time.  I had one case of vertigo, which is bizarre.  You're just walking along, and all of a sudden it feels like a huge magnet is pulling you to the ground and you are bent over as if that is happening, ready to fall and trying not to.

Dr. Chang said that after CK, 2/3 of the patients remain the same as what they had as far as unbalance/dizziness/vertigo before CK.  1/3 get better (that would be me!) and 5% get worse.  So, the odds are in your favor that you wound't be worse...but like all these damned AN's, there is no 100% guarantee for anything.

Tisha
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Vivian B.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:26:23 pm »
Hi Tisha and Nancy Drew

Thank you for your thoughts.

Vivian

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 01:05:17 am »
Hi, Vivian:

My balance was compromised before getting CK. I'd lost 71% of my balance function on my AN side from the tumor. This initially resulted in severe vertigo and oscillopsia (bouncing vision while walking). Both of those conditions gradually disappeared as my good side compensated for the damage to my vestibular nerve on my bad side, leaving me only with a sense of disequilibrium (imbalance) and somewhat frequent incidences where I would begin to fall over to one side and then catch myself (the "invisible hand" pushing me). I also had a sense of "wonky head": disequilibrium together with a sense of being disconnected from my physical surroundings. All this was before getting CK.

After CK, my balance worsened subjectively about 15% for six months, then improved rapidly. Now a little over 1 year post-CK, my balance is probably 50% to 65% better than it was before getting treatment. There is hope!

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Vivian B.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 01:21:53 pm »
Hi TW,

Thanks for sharing. I am already losing balance nerve, so I expect probably the same or similar reaction as yours.

Vivian