Author Topic: Sleep Question  (Read 1768 times)

kaitysmom

Sleep Question
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:50:46 pm »
This sounds odd but how do you sleep?  I sleep on my good ear and the deaf ear outward.  When I do this I don't hear the alarm clock.  When I sleep on the AN side I wake up with such a headache.  I know this sounds silly.  Any advice or suggestions are greatly welcomed. 

Oh  I'm almost six weeks post op.  I don't know if this is a phase I'm supposed to go through after surgery or what.  I go back to work on the 3rd of Jan and I'm afraid I will sleep straight through the alarm.

Thanks
Jody

lori67

Re: Sleep Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:55 pm »
Definitely not a silly question.  I sleep through my regular clock radio alarm too.  The only alarm I hear is the one on my cell phone, so I have to set that one every night.  What's nice about that is that it goes off for a little bit and then stops and then in a minute or so, it goes off again, but louder.  It keeps getting progressively louder each time.  That does the trick for me.  Also, having 2 dogs that will stick their wet noses in my face once they hear the alarm go off helps.  I can send you one if you want!   ;)

They do make alarm clocks that have a bed shaker.  It's just a little thing you put under your pillow and when the alarm goes off, it will vibrate and wake you up.  There are also some that will flash the lights on and off in the room.  I don't know where you're located, but if there's a League for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing near you, their website probably has links to places that sell those type of things.  Otherwise, just try an internet search for bed shaker alarm clocks, or alarm clocks for the Deaf.

I am almost 4 years post-op and I can only sleep on my AN side for short periods of time without it getting uncomfortable.  I have a really soft and poofy down pillow that seems to help.  It will probably require a little trial and error on your part to figure out what works for you.

Good luck and sweet dreams!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mark241

Re: Sleep Question
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:09 pm »
Hello, I found that putting a wrist watch with an alarm, on my none AN side worked great, but it doesnt compare to the dogs licking  Ha Ha, good luck on your recovery! 
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w