Author Topic: Seattle Anchor Woman's Long Battle  (Read 5424 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Seattle Anchor Woman's Long Battle
« on: February 18, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »
Hi all,

Here is an inspirational story link about a Seattle anchor woman who has had a long battle with a recurrent meningioma tumor.

http://www.komonews.com/news/39688052.html?video=YHI&t=a

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

suboo73

Re: Seattle Anchor Woman's Long Battle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 05:36:33 am »
janet,  Thank you for sharing this!

Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:11:44 am »
That news reader looks great, is the balance nerve affected with this kind of tumour?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:09 am »
Great story!  Thanks for sharing it!  I can relate to much of that..

As I recall, MsMaggie had a meningioma as well (as opposed to an AN) but doctors weren't sure prior to surgery what it was.. It was only at the time of surgery when they could run some tests to see which kind of tumor it was.  Again as I recall, there isn't a lot of difference between the two types of tumors.  So, given that they're very similar and grow in similar places (inner ear region) then they can affect the balance nerve just like an AN can.

Like the newscaster in the story, the last time I saw MsMaggie (only a few weeks post surgery), she looked great!  Luckily for her (MsMaggie) the facial nerve wasn't stretched to the point of serious facial weakness.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:01:01 am »
Hey, did someone else post this many months ago (but older information) ?

I remember there was a celebrity of sorts (in addition to our own LA David  :) ) and then I kind of lost track of her story.

Thanks for posting this, Janet.

Jan (aka the other Janet)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:28:15 am »
jan, was that the story about the male film actor?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:30:23 am »
No, that was Mark Ruffalo.

I'm thinking it was about some kind of newscaster.  There was someone, I forget his user name, who is a sportscaster on TV, but I also thought there was another "news person".

Doesn't really matter; it's just good to know that there are others "like us" out there  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 12:24:36 pm »
Jan,

I think I may remember the sportscaster to whom you're referring. Don't recall his name, but he was a 20-something sportscaster on the Fox Channel in Washington, DC. I remember that he had his surgery at House and posted a very detailed blog on his tv station's website. I don't think he posted very often on this forum afterwards, and I assumed he was one of those AN patients who came through his surgery with flying colors, recovered without complications, and has "moved on." Hope that this is what happened.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:27 pm »
Janet ~

Thanks for the link to the video of KOMO-TV (Seattle, WA) anchorwoman Kathi Goertzen and her tribulations with a recurring meningioma, which has been problematical for her, to say the least. 

Although a meningioma is somewhat different than an acoustic neuroma, they are similar enough to illustrate the difficulties inherent with this type of relatively small, benign tumor that happens to be in a very challenging location.   I'm a tad skeptical about the general public becoming all that more aware of ANs based on this locally well known newswoman's situation but the publicity can't hurt and may serve to educate some folks and, one hopes, make them better aware of these benign tumors that can cause so much trouble for the patient.

I'm pleased to learn Ms. Goertzen did well with her surgery and is able to resume her news anchor duties.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 05:31:01 pm »
Yeah Jan, I'm such a celebrity that agents and casting directors are pounding on my door pleading for me to come back.  ;) I dropped an email to my agent the other day just to check in -- and I found out that she was in Mexico because things are so slow around here these days.  I think I picked the right time to play hookey.

And Dave Lutz was the newscaster from back east -- I think the DC area.

It is odd though.  Several weeks ago I was at the endodontist.  I mentioned to him that my jaw was sort of tight because I had an acoustic neuroma.  His response -- "Wow, that's really rare."  I forget that sometimes -- seems like most of the people I associate with have had them.  So to have well-known people that have had one is very rare.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:39 pm »
Wow!!  Excellent story...thanks for finding that.
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »
Yes, one of the Seattle Forumites alerted us to this story last year sometime.  That was a very touching story and she's very inspirational.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:28:17 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LisaP

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:51:15 pm »
Janet,

Thanks for that story, it sounds so close to an AN.  What an amazing person to have undergone and to share her story with everyone.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W