Author Topic: 6 weeks post op  (Read 2126 times)

gclark

6 weeks post op
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:44 am »
Hi.  I am 6 weeks post translab surgery.  I feel ok but I'm not driving yet because I feel like my brain isn't functioning right yet.  In the grocery store, I can't look down a whole aisle because I feel that it's too much to process.  My head feels heavy on my shoulders.  Are these things to be expected?  Is this a processing problem?  I know everyone takes different amounts of time to recuperate but is this normal?  Thanks for your opinions! G

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: 6 weeks post op
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:23 am »
gclark,
  Yes I know what you mean about having too much happening when you look around in stores.  For me, all the people walking past in malls was too much for a while.  This doesn't bother me now.  It just takes time for your brain to learn how to handle the visul imput, and is related to vestibular relearning after losing a vestibular nerve on one side.
  If you haven't done so yet, try to find (or have your doctor refer you to) a Physical Therapist who is versed in Vestibular Retraining.  This can really help speed the process along.  They start out with various eye exercises (like looking at a spot on a wall and move your head back and forth, then up and down), and progress to various balance exercises (like standing in a corner with eyes closed and one foot in front of the other, and move your head around--  this is quite hard at first!).
  Things get much better with time.  And walking is one of the best therapies, make sure you get out every day.  Good luck with your vestibular retraining.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:24:22 am »
G~
Recovery takes different times for everyone but some sort of progress is made everyday!!  I got pregnant too soon after my surgery (& my surgery was pretty long & tough so my recovery was a LOT longer than most), but I tell people it took a good 3-5 years to get all the way where I am today!!  Keep getting out & doing stuff.  My doctor told me that the more I did, the quicker I'd get better!
Good Luck!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:47:46 am »
G - at 6 weeks, I felt the same way you feel.  I found that doing things in small doses seemed to help - like not doing all the grocery shopping at once - just do a little at a time. It isn't very good for time management, but it seemed to help me get used to things slowly, rather than bombarding my senses for an hour straight.  My first trip to Sam's club - a few weeks after my surgery left me in tears because it was so overwhelming.  Now, it's no problem.  I can stay in there as long as I want, spend lots of money and enjoy all the free samples!   :D

Eventually, you will start to feel like your brain is functioning (unless you have children, and then maybe not..) and that all your body parts are connected and working together.  6 weeks is still pretty early for such a major surgery, so don't be hard on yourself.  You'll get there!  I just passed my one year point after translab and can happily say I think I can do anything I could do before the surgery - well - except blink or hear out of my right ear... but anything else! 

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:32:12 pm »
Your post could be my story exactly. It gets better, hang in there.

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

KathyLSU

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »
I agree that it is sooo early, and that you should not rush yourself!  I remember how walking in crowds "made" me swerve away from those coming at me; my husband still likes to tease me about it.  Having to relearn how to walk properly was strange for me, and at first, everything seemed like one of those old movies where the film jumps; it seemed like the whole world was flickering and jumping just like that!
Be good to yourself and do take things slowly!  It will get better and better for you!  I am two years post-op and ride behind my husband on his motorcycle; go to the health club to exercise; have even gotten back on a horse.  And I thought, just after my surgery, that I would never be able to wear heels again!
Good luck to you and God bless you as you recover more each day!