Author Topic: Problems with BAHA  (Read 2619 times)

millert

Problems with BAHA
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:51:26 pm »
Am I the only one in the world that has had problems with my my BAHA? I had the abutement installed Dec. 2004. Fitted in March with processor. After 1 month saw NO benefit, yet my abutment area was very sore, and I had an increase in headaches! Went back to the doc, they evaluated the processor and found it to be defective! Received new unit the next week. I wore the unit religously for the next several months, my pain was still there, headaches had increased in severity and frequency, and did NOT see much improvement in my hearing. Now in fairness to the advertising people at Entific or whatever they are calling themselves now, I have been gradually losing my hearing on my good ear, as well as having been diagnosed with hyperacusis. (a sensitivity to normal sound). I am scheduled to have the abutement removed next month.  Finally the docs have said there isn't anything they can do, but monitor my hearing loss and hyperacusis. I stay in my home and only go out when I have doc appts. I wear ear plugs to soften the sounds of everyday living noise.
Hopefully there is someone else out there that has had negatives on the BAHA.
Right side AN, removed Dec. 1998 Jackler;Pitts @UCSF,

Boppie

Re: Problems with BAHA
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 12:20:19 am »
Has anyone explained the soreness in your head?  Had the abutment healed properly?  Just wondering if complications from the surgery for the implant might have to do with your difficulties. 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:46:21 am »

My hearing is "normal" in my other ear (at least for a 40 year old) ... and with the BAHA it picks up the sound petty good! ... I am happy with it. I did have some headaches the first week with the BAHA, and took the BAHA out the first sign of a headache...

Your real problem is the Hyperacusis ... I'm sorry but I not sure what to tell you, I actually been doing some reading on the subject, because I only heard of it a few weeks ago. What sounds are you sensitive too? any sound? or a type of sound?
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

jenifyer

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 06:44:51 am »
I had my abutment placed in August.  I received the sound processor about 3 months later.  I wasn't thrilled with the BAHA either, but i told the audiologist i was having problems turning it on right away without playing with the volume.  I sent it back immediately and received a 'loaner' the next day.  There must have been a short or something with the original because i definitely notice a difference and it is much better.  i hope they just let me keep the new one they sent me rather than fixing my old one!

jennifer

millert

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 10:21:54 pm »
Joef, my sensitivity seems to be to almost ALL sound. My otolaryngoligist tested me twice inlate Nov. Tests came back the same: anything below 40dbs I couldn't hear or understand and anything over 60 dbs was LOUD. I had screamed at the tester because some of the sounds were quite painful. I really am not looking forward to the retest next month-3/14. My Neurologist said that my headaches are a side effect of my AN surgery. He said sometimes they stop but he has patients that he been following for 15 years that still have headaches. My prescribed relief from these headaches are ever increasing dosages of oxycontin and fiorcet.

millert

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:30:15 pm »
Boggie, My doc said I had very "sensitive nerves". I said there were no nerves in bones, and well that was answered by silence. He said that the area healed very nicely. Yet I cannot lay on that side-it gets very warm and is uncomfortable. Then when I move it feels like it is swollen and catches on the pillow. Called the manufacturer and -big surprise-they never heard of this before. Thanks for your input!

RadiantStar

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:05:18 pm »
I am soooooooooo glad that I opted out of the BAHA surgery at the same time I had the AN surgery!!!!  At 3 months post-op I am NOT even considering the BAHA now; I was for a while.  It seems my body and mind is adapting well without hearing on the right side. 

I actually started thinking about another hole being drilled into my skull, and the healing of the area, and have decided that maybe this isn't for me.

Your post confirms my decision, thanks
Kathleen

Pembo

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 10:05:40 am »
RadiantStar-At 3 mos post op I felt the same as you. There was no way I wanted another hole in my skull. However at 18 mo I felt differently and had the surgery. It was so simple, no pain, just discomfort.

I still have numbness from the surgery on the AN side so that wasn't a problem.

Yes the mind and body adapts to the loss of hearing but I was very frustrated with some things that could not be compensated for. I hated not being able to hear my kids talk to me in the car while driving, I hated not being able to follow conversations in groups of people, and going to my boys scout meetings was impossible. I couldn't follow the conversations in the gym at all.

This is just to say, you may rethink your position on Baha once the An surgery is much farther behind you.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006