Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421501 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1230 on: April 23, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »
Hi Grammyslim!

PM me your number and I would be happy to call & chat with you!!   :)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1231 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:34 pm »
Well, the exercising was going well  - until I hurt my knee.

Happened a few weeks ago and since then I've been taking it easy; running less and biking more (which doesn't seem to aggravate it).  Yesterday though, while walking, it took a turn for the worst.

Not exactly sure what the problem is - hoping for nothing more than torn ligaments.

Am seeing the knee doc on Friday morning.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #1232 on: April 25, 2012, 01:01:54 pm »
Hello Everybody,

I am getting prepared for my procedure and have just reupped my gym membership, so I can go into battle against this AN properly and with my core strong so I won't hopefully have balance issues. June 11th is my battle date. Wish me luck!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1233 on: April 25, 2012, 01:40:14 pm »
Mike ~

Best of luck on June 11th!  Now, go get fit!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #1234 on: April 25, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »
Good for you, Mike!  Keep it up after your treatment also!

Soundy, good luck on your 5k - and those very interesting softball practices :o

Jan, sorry to hear about your knee issue...hope it's nothing too serious.  I've been battling a shoulder problem for a many months and have finally decided to go see about it next week.  Just haven't gone as I don't want to be told that I need to stop dancing and playing tennis to let it heal :P

Been pretty faithful about the classes at the gym, so far...

Hope the rest of you are still moving in whatever way works for you!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1235 on: April 25, 2012, 03:06:51 pm »
Back injected a month ago, hip injected today ..... no more excuses ..... it's back to moving at full steam!!   ;D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1236 on: April 25, 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
Had eye surgery & then got strep & shingles so haven't been able to work out like I would like but walked almost 5 miles Friday & then played PICKLEBALL for 2 hours, walked 2 miles Monday & Tuesday both & quickly rode the bike today - having a little knee glitch - Jan, my friend that is a PT says the bike is the best thing to bring a knee back around. LOVING being outside in the beautiful sunshine!  While most of the rest of Texas is hovering around 100, we are in the 80's & DRY all week!

Happy Exercising!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1237 on: April 25, 2012, 04:49:03 pm »
Good luck, Mike!

To all those having "issues", I'm glad to see I'm not alone.  Misery loves company!

Thanks for the advice on the bike, Kay.  My knee feels much better on a bike than it does running, but I like running much more than I like biking (my dilemma).

Cindy, my daughter just got over a problem with her shoulder - and part of her upper back - from a gymnastics injury.  It took about six weeks of manipulation by a chiropractor, acupunture, ultrasound, and massage therapy.  This is the first Saturday that she doesn't have an appointment.  We're keeping our fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1238 on: April 27, 2012, 12:06:38 pm »
Knee doc said I've damaged my MCL (medial collateral ligament) and has recommended the following 4 things:  cortizone shot in my knee (had that this morning), anti-inflammatory Rx (currently being filled at Walgreens), stretching exercises (gave me a nice little paper with examples), and PT.

PT will be a last resort, as I start a new job on Wednesday and won't have the time to go to PT for at least a few months.

He also mentioned that I have the early signs of arthritis in my knees - no surprise there; family history plus I am 50 now.

In the meantime, I'm not supposed to exercise for a week.   After that he recommends something less "jarring" like biking, elliptical machine, etc.  He also took exception to the shoes I was wearing - very comfy moccasins.  Said I should go with something more supportive like a good pair of NB or Nikes.  Damn!  I love my moccasins - only slight less than I love flip flops.

Sometimes getting older is no fun  :P

Jan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1239 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:53 pm »
Oh no, Jan! I'm very sorry to hear about your MCL. If you know of a good podiatrist, ask about getting a pair of custom orthotic inserts - so you can continue to wear the shoes you love. Well, not flip flops.

Tell us about your new job, please.

MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #1240 on: April 29, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »
I actually have flippies that I get from SOLE (same place where I get my inserts) that have more support & I wear them all the time!!

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1241 on: April 30, 2012, 12:41:23 pm »

Sometimes getting older is no fun  :P

Jan

No kidding!  Sorry to hear the diagnosis on your knee, but glad you don't need any surgery on it...
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #1242 on: May 02, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
Hello again,
Glad to hear all of you are out and around doing stuff! I'm still running - really like trail running. It's easier on your body and just feels more cushy and it's just so much more fun than running on pavement. The downside is, I know I really shouldn't go hit the trail by myself and usually don't.

Jan - you were running in moccasins?! That must be kind of like those minimalist running shoes that some people swear by; I'd rather run on thick pads. I do hope your knee improves - we're kind of opposite - I'd rather bike than run. Once you get better, I think some exercise will help arthritis, I guess. I've heard people say that. I hope your new job goes well too.

Mike - I'm hoping that your exercising helps you in your 'pre AN' treatment. Even though I had translab and have some balance issues now (minor), I really think the running up until surgery helped with this.

Kay, Clarice, Cindy, Sara, Soundy - so good to hear what y'all are doing.

I was going to do a 2 day biking thing with wounded warriors last weekend (very low key, not like a race). I did it last year and loved being involved. It was pretty, but hilly, and sometimes very rainy. I'll do it next year. My son came home on leave, and, even though he's back in the states, we don't get to see him that often. So we took a day trip to NYC and walked walked walked.

I'm doing a trail / hike / run / something or other this weekend. It's up in some forest in south PA. I think it'll be really pretty It's a 50k but we literally have all day to do it. I hope I don't get lost. The course description talked of an 80 degree scramble up a boulder (scramble??? yeah right) and the elevation chart makes my heart kind of go into panic attack mode but in these trail runs it's much better to walk up and down the inclines. I'll let you know how it goes! I'd rather do a 50k on a trail than a marathon on a road, but it takes much longer and you just don't worry about time. And even though a 50k is a mere 5 miles longer than a marathon (haha) that 5 miles takes well over an hour for me! You know, sometimes I don't think I'd have the nerve to do some of this stuff if I hadn't had my AN surgery. I think that's made me bolder. I'm still scared, but I try anyway. And pray to the Lord to help me through!!

Good to see this thread is still around and people are being active and posting. I'm not around as much as I'd like to be but am glad when I get back to the ANA forum.

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1243 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:35 pm »
Jan - you were running in moccasins?! That must be kind of like those minimalist running shoes that some people swear by;

No  ;D  The moccasins were what I happened to be wearing the day I saw the knee doc.  His point was I should wear shoes that have support.  He must be in cahoots with my foot doc who stressed supportive shoes also.

I do like the idea of "minimalist" running shoes through - especially those Barefoot Running shoes that look like rubber gloves for your feet.  They have some good reviews, but are extremely hard to put on; supposedly you get used to them.

Knee is still an issue, although not as painful.  Doc said to not exercise for a week, which ends today.

Tomorrow will go to the gym and bike and try the elliptical again; just can't get the hang of it.  Hopefully practice makes perfect.

Jan

New girl

« Reply #1244 on: May 20, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »
Hi there - I am thinking about starting running to get back into shape.  I have done a lot of aerobics and walking in the past but I never got into running.  Any advice out there for a newbie runner?  I gained a bit of weight post diagnosis and surgery which caused by blood pressue to go up (stage I).  Through diet and low impact exercise I have gotten it back to almost normal.  Now I want to kick it up a notch. I survived brain surgery so I am trying to stay as healthy as possible.  I have read parts of this thread many times - you guys & gals are very inspirational!  Thanks.   :)
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons