Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421483 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1185 on: January 10, 2012, 04:39:23 pm »
Soundy~
I ordered my latest pair of shoes on Amazon - I felt OK about doing this b/c they were the exact ones I had (just a different color).  I wear Asics Kayano's because they have the widest base to help with the balance problems.  They are usually well over $100 (closer to $140, I think) but I got them for $89.  I got black.  They come out with a new "model" every year - these are apparently last years (17) but I don't care...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1186 on: January 10, 2012, 05:31:32 pm »
I do the same thing, Kay. I bought my first pair of shoes at a local running store where they did a gait analysis with a camera behind a treadmill. Now that I know the best shoe (stabilizing for severe pronation) and proper size I buy them off the internet. My first pair was $120 and the ones I recently bought were $69 because they were last year's color.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #1187 on: January 11, 2012, 09:14:47 am »
I do the same thing, Kay. I bought my first pair of shoes at a local running store where they did a gait analysis with a camera behind a treadmill. Now that I know the best shoe (stabilizing for severe pronation) and proper size I buy them off the internet. My first pair was $120 and the ones I recently bought were $69 because they were last year's color.

Me, too!

Yes, Sara, sorry you weren't able to spend more time w/ David.  I was SO lucky to be able to meet him when I was out in LA (and Nancy, too!) and spend time w/ them prior to my surgery - really helped me!

Still trying to get back in a consistent training groove for this half-marathon coming up in 4 weeks...we have not done nearly as well this year as we did the last two years.  However, we have decided (our group of 4) that we will just do the best we can and enjoy the beautiful scenery (Jax beach, FL).  Really is turning into more of a "girl's trip" than anything else ;)  It is for breast cancer, so a good cause no matter how we do!

Once we finish this, I hope to get back to a gym and hit the weights again - been a very long time since I did any weight training...

Keep plugging along, everyone!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #1188 on: January 14, 2012, 05:58:53 pm »
Cindy,
Hope your half goes well! I'm glad you're doing it again, even if you haven't trained as much this time around.  I was reading some article that said it's better to be a bit undertrained that overtrained . I like that philosophy! I mean, you've got to train or it won't be good for you, but if you over train and are worn out and tired and on the verge of injury, that's worse.

Patrick (Texsooner) is running the Houston marathon tomorrow! Good luck, Patrick.

How's everyone else?

Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1189 on: January 14, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »
I have been rocking & rolling everyday that I can...I even went to the gym Friday...after I had just been released from the hospital Thursday night...don't worry, I didn't work out too hard compared to what I usually do!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1190 on: January 14, 2012, 11:10:59 pm »
Go Kaybo! So glad you are feeling better.

Monday will mark my return to the gym. Hoping to be in fighting form then.

Take care everyone.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #1191 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:46 am »
Kay - so glad that worked out alright. Good for you for hitting the gym right after the hospital; yikes!! Stay away from that place, will ya?

Sara - you are so consistent!

Patrick did great at the Houston marathon. His time was 4:04, which is 24 minutes better than last year, which means next time he'll probably try to get it under the 4:00 hour mark! I think that's great!!

I'm going to go run on trails with some friends around here this afternoon. I am really liking trail running. It's slower and just feels better because your feet aren't pounding the pavement all the time. I like the single track feel  - just makes it seem to go by faster. Plus it's pretty. The only downside is that it's not a great thing to just go venturing off by yourself in the woods; I try to run with others. Wish I had a big dog!

Happy MLK day. ON facebook many (including myself) have posted a lot of different MLK quotes. Really great to read.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/23924.Martin_Luther_King_Jr_?page=1     I found a bunch of quotes on this site. It was inspiring reading.

Have a great day!
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1192 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:43 am »
Dave is off today so he & I are going walking later...it is already 73 here!  He has not done any exercise since his surgery so I'm hoping this "might" jump start him a little.  He still is a little gun-shy for me since the big heart scare, but since he will be with me, I may run a bit...we'll see...

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1193 on: January 16, 2012, 11:51:43 am »
Kay ..... you be careful out there!

Well, no more excuses for me ..... the holidays are over ..... the kids have all gone home ..... so it is back to the gym.  Took it slow and easy this morning, but at least it is a start!

Cindy ..... really sorry it did not work out to see you in Atlanta ..... next time, for sure!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1194 on: January 16, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »
Time to put up or shut up for me  ;D

So, to that end, today I joined the Planet Fitness in our area.  It's open 24/7 which should prevent me from making about inconvenient hours  ::)  The start-up fee of $69 was waived, so it's only costing me $10/mth and an addtl. $29 once a year. 

Signed my daughter up too since she has friends who are going there; son will be going to a different gym where his friends go.

Thankfully my employer reimburses me $300/yr for "wellness" and all these memberships qualify.

Still having trouble with my heel, despite great suggestions from Kaybo.  Am going to the podiatrist on Thursday evening; will see what he says.  Hopefully nothing too drastic.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1195 on: January 16, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »
Wow - that gym is a great deal, Jan. I hope you like it. Now go get that heel fixed up because we expect some great things from you.

Kay - how are you feeling?

I forgot about dentist for the kids this morning, so I will "see" you all at the gym tomorrow.

Take care and keep moving.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #1196 on: January 17, 2012, 12:12:17 pm »
Wow, way to go, Patrick!  24 minutes less than last time - amazing!  I'm hoping to just come close to my last year's time and that only for a half, not a whole...thanks for letting us know, Keri...

Yes, Clarice, do hope to see you next time you're down this way!  Come go dancing with us - we'll have a big time ;D

Good for you, Jan, on joining the gym - I've heard of Planet Fitness, but don't think we have one near us.  I hope to join some sort of gym in a few weeks...

Kay, 73!  Ahhhh, sounds great!

Remember, all, every little bit helps!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

texsooner

« Reply #1197 on: January 17, 2012, 02:13:54 pm »
Thanks Keri and Cindy. I meant to go on here and update you folks, but got busy and forgot.

It was only my 2nd full marathon to run and both have been post AN surgery, and I plan to continue, lord willing. I'm happy with my 4:04 time, but now I know I can do even better. The weather this year was much better (cooler) for running and likely had a lot to do with my improvement. However, I was running so well (for me) for the first 20 miles, I started to think I could post a sub 4 hour time, but I hit what is known in the running world as "the wall" at about mile 22 and had to slow way down to make sure I could finish standing up, as my energy was zapped and legs felt like they weighed a ton. As many of you know, the Houston area is mostly flat terrain, but I swear it seems like the only hills are in the last 6 miles of the Houston Marathon course along Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway leading back into downtown. It doesn't seem to bother the elite runners that much, but that stretch has hurt me a lot in the last 2 years.

I'm determined to do better down that stretch next year and if the weather is good, I think I can finish it under 4 hours, if I train properly. At my age (almost 52), that might get me within range of qualifying for the Boston Marathon sometime.....don't know if I'd ever run that race, but it would be nice to be able to say I qualified for it.

Anyway, just want to encourage everyone that is physically able to get out there and do some walking, biking or start to train for a 5k or 10K event as there are always lots of them scheduled everywhere. I find it to be a big motivator to target an event several months out and then train for it. I think Keri is a perfect example of that, as she enters multiple long distance events during the year and is motivated to train to be able to finish the events in good shape.

In my case, I only started regular running about 7 years ago, when someone challenged me to do the 5K run associated with the Houston Marathon; then I graduated up to doing a couple of 10K's, then half marathons and now the full marathon. Most of us are capable of doing a lot more than you might think. The key is to start small somewhere and build up gradually and then keep it going.

Be safe and keep moving everybody.

Patrick 

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1198 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »
I have ordered shoes online but it gives me an excuse to go rambling around Huntsville , and there is a shoe store that always has great buys on the previous seasons color ... last trip I got one pair at their price ( I think it was $89 ) and second pair half off that ... for the second pair I got Sarah a pair for gym ...

blood work came back and my cholesterol is up ... it was high 5 or 6 years ago and I took it down with exercise and diet ... so going that
route again ... I was 19 pounds less than last years physical so that was good but he says he would like to see about 15 pounds
less of me  >:( ... if I hadn't been yo yoing , gaining and losing weight , I would probably be about where I need to be ...

We are the same age , him being about 4 months older than I am ....he made the comment that now that we are 50 he would like a colonoscopy ... I told him that was fine by me ... he had my permission to have one if that is what he wanted ... he called me a smart donkey ... I have two donkeys , neither of which seem to be overly smart ... I have scheduled my mammogram but not the scoping ...told him he could try it out first and let me know how it goes ...

on a brighter note , me and the girls signed up for a 5K in March for one of the local Relay teams ...and In April I am taking on a walk a thon for St Jude's ... I have talked to the coach at school and he is going to help me get the kids worked up and excited over it and hopefully we can get alot of walkers and raise some money for another good cause
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
« Reply #1199 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:48 pm »
In thinking post surgery, I have ordered tai chi for women.  It looks good.  I know it's not running or even walking, but I heard its good for balance if I come out wobbly.  Anybody try tai chi post op?  I have Translab next Wed  1-25-12 and am visualizing a good and healthy recovery.  Any experience with tai chi appreciated!
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!