Author Topic: Urgent Question for Baha Patients  (Read 3439 times)

wanderer

Urgent Question for Baha Patients
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:08:17 pm »
Okay   I got my baha implant this morning at 7 am.    I know have a plastic shield over my ear.    Well a little while ago it seemed to get much darker in the shield hand I had some blood running out from undernieth it.    Already have a call in to the doctor and they are trying to track him down.   

Anyway  did anybody else have anything like this.   Just want to know if I need to prepare for a trip back to the hospital before the doc calls again.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Urgent Question for Baha Patients
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »
I did have a "messy" site .. with some blood etc... and took longer to heal than my AN surgery did ... I would not worry yourself too much ... but I would have someone look at it...

Hey I hit 100 posts... I'm a full member now! so what prize do we win?

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Kilroy1976

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:44:08 pm »
I think you just get the satisfaction of knowing that you've been a shining light to 100 people. Of course, being a newbie myself, I have no idea. They won't even tell me what's in the secret sauce...
1.8cm AN
Linac
December 13, 2005
Shands Hospital--University of Florida

wanderer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 03:55:05 pm »
the doctor called.   He said no worries they just do that.   

So in that case so far so good.

except if feels like something is lodged in my right nostril (an is left side)   I've been sneezing and even tried flushing with saline.    It dang annoying.

Pembo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:42:17 pm »
Don't forget they washed the area down with betadine. The worst part of the implant surgery was getting all the crap out of my hair. (Dawn dish detergent) Relax and take it easy. I'm glad the doc called and told you that was normal.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

wanderer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »
I am hoping this leads to a happy ending for my drawn out story.

All in all so far I have had a successful outcome even with all the surgeries and complications. 

I count myself a surgery success story.    Now here's hoping to being a BAHA success story.   

jenifyer

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:32:25 pm »
Hello,

I had blood drip down as i was in the wheelchair on the way out of the hospital.  They just wiped it away and told me that this happens sometimes, and sent me on my way. everything was fine.

jennifer

Joef

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 01:46:07 pm »

Have you seen some of the gory pictures in the BAHA yahoo group .. yuck....

Boppie

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 06:47:21 pm »
I imagined the incision for the implant would bleed a bit.  Don't head wounds bleed a lot?

Joef

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 02:15:53 pm »
yes they do! I remember as a teenager getting hit with rock thrown at me in the forehead ....(actually this could explain a lot  :o) you would think he hit a main artery .. I had blood all over me so bad it looked like a scene from the chainsaw massacre ... but really did not hurt that much ... I actually asked Dr Brachmann about needed blood during the surgery add was told he did not need any...there is a lot of blood on the outside of the skull , but once you get in the skull there is surpising little.

wanderer

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 02:33:56 pm »
yes I have been surprised by the bleeding.    My first several surgeries had very little blood.  but this baha incision has bled quite a bit.   No big deal,  but I wasn't told that it would behave so much differently than the AN surgery incissions.   

and with my luck I wanted to make sure nothing was going wrong.

as my doctor once told me,  "if you could tell me one thing you react well too, i'd be exstatic.