Author Topic: 2 Year Follow up after CK  (Read 2873 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
2 Year Follow up after CK
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:17:11 pm »
Had a hearing test today and saw the neurotologist today.

Good news:  tumor has shrunk from 1.63cm to 1.45cm, don't have to have another MRI or see the neurotologist for two years.   ;)  Doctor said since the tumor was shrinking "nicely", he had no concerns about it growing or causing any more problems.

Bad news:  my word comprehension in my bad ear is only 4%.  The doctor emailed me a brochure on BAHA; I asked him if that involved surgery (which I know it does).  When he said yes and saw the look on my face he said well think about it, maybe five years down the road.  He said my Phonak Cros was just fine, that the BAHA wouldn't give me that much more than the Cros. 

I mentioned that my balance and dizziness was doing better; asked if that was because the tumor shrunk.  He said no, it's because your brain is compensating. 

Also, the hemi-facial spasms are retreating!  Yea!!!! 

So all around, I'm very happy I had CK when I did.

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Bonnie B.

Re: 2 Year Follow up after CK
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:12:39 pm »
Great news Karen.  I am very happy for you.  I got the results of my post Gamma Knife (2 yr) MRI.  Mine had shrunk a little last year but this year no shrinkage noted.  It had not grown either.   I will have another MRI in a year.

I have NO hearing in my left ear and had looked into the different hearing aid options.   So far, nothing has really interested me.  However, I haven't closed the door on it either.  I have a hearing test for my good ear next week.

Again, so happy for you.     Bonnie

1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

Echo

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:17:43 pm »
Hi Karen,

Absolutely wonderful news to post. I'm especially encouraged to read that your balance and dizziness have improved.  Hopefully I'll do just as well as you with a bit more time under my belt. 

Also pleased to hear the facial spasms are taking their leave!! 

Cathie
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

robinb

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:05 am »
Hi Karen-

Great news!

I too continue to be free of spasms.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

Trish

Re: hemifacial spasms
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:02:55 pm »
Hi Karen

Just went back on this site after a long gap and was delighted to see that your spasms were reducing. How are they now, have they stopped?

For others reading this, I, like Karen, had hemifacial spasms for around 18 months, starting around 6 months post gamma knife. They are apparently rare, but that's no comfort when the consultant can't recommend anything except they will probably go away eventually. Mine did stop completely after a traumatic year when they got more and more frequent.  so if you have this problem, hang in there as they are likely to just stop.

Wishing you well.

Trish