Author Topic: How long were you hospitalized?  (Read 9192 times)

DLM4me

How long were you hospitalized?
« on: April 01, 2009, 05:59:38 pm »
The 'length of surgery' thread got me to thinking about another aspect of all this: How long was everyone in the hospital post-op?

When I saw Dr Stefan the other day he said most patients are in for 4 days, some 3, some 5, and some even 6 or more.  Because of my history of falling (and breaking bones...  ::) ), we're all hyper-concerned about the post-op dizziness issues, so I won't be surprised if I'm in longer than average.  (But I hope not!)

Please note which type of surgery you had and how long you were in the hospital post-op.  Thanks!

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

JerseyGirl2

Re: How long were you hospitalized?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »
Translab (at House)
ICU -- 24 hours
"regular" hospital room: Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 06:46:13 pm »
I had a retrosigmoid procedure.  Surgery on Tuesday, ICU til late afternoon Wed, discharged Friday.  I hope your stay is as short as possible, but if dizziness is a problem, they'll be watching you very closely.  I was given a walker to take home, had therapists come and show me how to use it, and we rolled up and down the halls a few times!!  Good Luck!!!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »
Retrosigmoid Thursday morning, home Friday evening :)  36 hours.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

DLM4me

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:52:36 pm »
Are you serious, Ernie?  Good grief!  Only 36 hours?  Amazing.

Middle fossa craniotomy 04/08/09, Drs Brackmann, Schwartz, et al, St Vincent/HEI in Los Angeles.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 09:40:00 pm »
ditto!!!  36 hours? wow, that must be a record!

i in hospital for 5 days total (translab)  - hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:02 pm »
Retrosigmoid surgery 7 1/2 hours.

Hospitalized 5 nights/6 days.  Major nausea prevented me from eating and walking around like I should have - probably set me back a day. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:38:23 pm »
Are you serious, Ernie?  Good grief!  Only 36 hours?  Amazing.

It's a long story, but suffice to say that my surgeon told me to get out as fast as I possibly could because hospitals are for sick people :).  I had a rough time in ICU, just things going wrong.  I was feeling pretty good about getting into a regular room when they finally said I wasn't getting one yet because they didn't have any available.  My doctor came in and I said "Can I just go home?"  He said, "absolutely" and signed all the papers.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joebloggs

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:58:26 pm »
Surgery 6 hours, Hospital 5 nights/6 days. 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

DLM4me

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:03:38 pm »
It's a long story, but suffice to say that my surgeon told me to get out as fast as I possibly could because hospitals are for sick people :).  I had a rough time in ICU, just things going wrong.  I was feeling pretty good about getting into a regular room when they finally said I wasn't getting one yet because they didn't have any available.  My doctor came in and I said "Can I just go home?"  He said, "absolutely" and signed all the papers.
I just marvel at people who have short hospitalizations, probably because I have a history of long ones.  For example, the "simple" act of childbirth left me hospitalized for a week--and it would've been THREE weeks if I hadn't insisted on going home, Foley catheter and all, with the agreement that I'd see the urologist every [however many] days.  (I was pretty hardheaded as a teenager...oh, wait, I still am!)  But really, 36 hours after AN surgery...I'm just amazed.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 12:16:55 am »
Retrosig surgery Monday A.M.
Out of ICU Weds afternoon.
Went home Friday morning.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 12:25:14 am »
Here in Germany they hold you alot longer than needed.  Dr. told me before retrosig. surgery I would stay for 10 days, and then 3-6 weeks REHAB.  I was in REHAB 5 weeks, the first 3 were a nice queit vacation but then it was only boring. 

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

texsooner

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 04:51:27 am »
Retrosigmoid surgery(12 hours) Monday morning; out of ICU early Tuesday morning; released from hospital Wednesday morning....total 48 hours.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 05:52:02 am »
Translab - 5 hours, hospital stay 5 days - Dr. Stefan will be the one to give you your release papers - I put on a "very good show" the morning he came in to see if I was ready to go or not - I was determined to leave that day!

Good luck!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 06:02:20 am »
DLM -

forgot to mention that while speedy hospital releases are wonderful - I mean, who likes the hospital? - you shouldn't set your success peg on others' experiences.

As we love to say on the forum, everyone's AN Journey is different.  You may have a super short hospital stay, but then again, you might have a lengthy one.  Sometimes, but definitely not always, short hospital stays result in an additional trip due to a complication.  If your stay isn't short, don't feel like a failure.  Your doctors, and you, will know when the time is right; and the biggest indicator is you - not me or anyone else. 

It's like when you start returning to work again, or start driving post op.  We all have different time frames.  So while it's nice to know what others have done as a guideline, take your time and heal at your own pace.

Best of luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways