Author Topic: Saying good-bye to watch and wait  (Read 4393 times)

suz

Saying good-bye to watch and wait
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:03:17 pm »
Well, it is official - I am now post-treatment! What a great feeling to have the worst behind me. I had been in the W&W category for 3+ years with no growth. But last December my annual MRI showed growth in two dimensions; I can't remember the specific size but the tumor had grown to approx. 2cms x 1.8 x ?. After much research and angst I made a wise choice to go to House Ear Clinic/St. Vincent's for microsurgical removal of the tumor via retrosigmoid approach. Dr. Friedman(neurotology) and Schwartz (neurosurgeon) were my docs; their expertise, knowledge, and availability for questions truly made the pendulum swing to this choice. Frankly, I hate flying - and flying across the country to have brain surgery was not an easy choice. But in all of my health care experience thus far- both as a patient, and a nurse, I have not experienced the caring bedside manner & attentiveness that these docs displayed.  I also cannot say enough good stuff about the staff at House Ear Clinic. The testing that I received there on my pre-op day revealed more information about my hearing and balance that I had learned in the three years followed by another doc in my town. I learned that day that my so-called "good ear" was not really so good; in fact my neuroma side had better hearing. So the decision was made to do the retrosigmoid approach to tumor removal, in order to reserve the possibility of hearing preservation on my tumor side.
 Surgery was July 14th & the results were excellent  - better than expected. My facial nerve is 100% intact, and hearing on the tumor side was almost the same as pre-op. After a few days from the surgery a normal side effect of surgery - fluid in the ear - occurred making my ear feel clogged but I am told that within a few weeks/months that should clear up. The care I received by both the House Docs and the staff at St. Vincent's was wonderful.
I had at one point been strongly encouraged to have fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy for my tumor. I had the tumor size that allowed for many options for treatment - a blessing and a curse for the indecisive.  One doc I had consulted (not at House) had given me the impression that no one should be offering a surgical option for my tumor size. (?) The variety of opinions about how to handle these things is dizzying! Anyway, I am now SO glad that my tumor is gone and I can focus on recovery and the rest of my life! If I had chosen FRST then I would be having MRI's and living with this for the remainder of my life. The idea of radiation treatment for a benign tumor never felt right to me; but I was so darned scared of the surgical option.  Now that it is behind me, I can say that it is scary but you can get through it! And I am so glad to have it behind me. I hope that I haven't said too much here. I have not been on the discussion board for a long time and really have alot to say!  If anyone is considerring a trip to LA to House Ear Clinic for treatment please feel free to "pm" me I would be happy to share more about my experience.
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Re-growth approximate 3 mm per year; GK planned for 12/2017.
Philadelphia, PA area

iluuvpups

Re: Saying good-bye to watch and wait
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:09:21 pm »
Congratulations on being a postie!  Sounds like you picked the right choice for you and things have gone very well.  You're very lucky.  Here's wishing you continued good health!  --Carol Ann
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

suz

One month and one day post-op! Woohoo!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:42:27 pm »
Hello post-tx gang,
Had my microsurgical removal by retrosigmoid approach by Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic on July 14th with excellent results.  Tumor(approx. 1.8 cms x 1.5 cms x .5cm) removed completely; facial nerve is intact, and for at least a few days post-surgery, my hearing was actually BETTER on affected side. (Now inner ear is full of fluid so hearing is very muffled but docs expect if to resolve in a month or two.) I have had some headaches but not unmanageable. Was in hospital for 5 days; first two in the ICU were a complete blur, but by day 3 was taking short walks with help. Weirdest side-effect was the excrutiating tailbone pain I had from day 5-14; apparently from blood that accumulated there during surgery - and once I knew that I could take Ibuprofen for it I was fine - that really helped. But I hadn't read anything about that possible discomfort so I think I was more afraid that it would mean going back into the hospital for some awful test. SOO releived to find out that it happenned to many and that it can be worse than the incisional pain; which was totally the case for me! Also have lots of dizziness, but that is slowly resolving. I found a physical therapy practice near my home that specializes in vestibular retraining and I highly recommend that. It's torture when I am there, but I see the progression each visit. i wonder if others have any comments on how long it took you to get back to "normal" in this regard? I am still afraid to drive because if I turn my head quickly I still go into a spin. Also wonder if I will ever be able to walk in the dark again. Right now, I walk like I have had 6 drinks when it is dark. Very embarrassing! And I wonder if others have had eye strain and pain after this surgery? Also - the tiredness that I knew was part of recovery - seems very random. I have energy one day and so do something normal for me - like cleaning the kitchen - then that afternoon  & next day I can't move off the couch. Stilll at 5 weeks post-op I am experiencing this and find it frustrating. Can anyone comment on this as well?

I will echo others when I say that the expert care and genuinely nice bedside manner of the House Ear Clinic docs are unmatched. They really put the 'caring' back in health-care. It was an extremely tough choice to make to fly across the country for surgery but was humbled by the patients there from Israel and South Africa  the week we were in the hospital.  Really cannot say enough about that place. And so glad to have this behind me!
Tumor 1.8cms x 1.5 cms x .5 cm;partially removed 7/14/10 by Drs. Friedman & Schwartz of House Ear Clinic in LA. Moderate SS hearing loss.
Philadelphia, PA area

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:20:52 pm »
Suz ~

Congratulations on your successful AN surgery - and thanks for informative and encouraging account of your decision to have the surgery at House.  I hope you'll continue to experience a great, complete recovery.  You're certainly well on the way! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suz

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »
Hey,
FYI I did not intend to have these two posts back-to-back. One was intended for the watch-and-wait category and one in post-treatment. I am confused about why one was moved. Tried to delete the one intended for "W&W" but site did not allow it.
Oh well, no biggie, but did I break a discussion forum rule?
Philadelphia, PA area

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:08 pm »
but did I break a discussion forum rule?
nope. tends to happen around here. :)  If you go to the post you want to delete (I believe the one started as "hello post-tx gang", you should see the "delete" button there to delete that particular post. If you have issues attempting it, please let the Mods know and we'll do it for you. Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »
Hey Suz,
So glad to hear of your good outcome (or should I say excellent!)
 You are doing so well for being only 5 weeks post op. Your comment:

the tiredness that I knew was part of recovery - seems very random. I have energy one day and so do something normal for me - like cleaning the kitchen - then that afternoon  & next day I can't move off the couch. Stilll at 5 weeks post-op I am experiencing this and find it frustrating.

Totally normal. Your body is telling you that you over did it. ( know, duh)  And it will continue to do that! So take each day as it comes, and it is good to just walk every day, and  continue to increase the increments as you feel like it. And your therapy of course.
I remember lying around for about 6 weeks, because I had bad headaches. I did the walking, napping, eating, drinking, routine, with relaxing CD's to listen  to and once I got back to my normal routine, I was  fine. Just takes a while- weeks to months. Everyone is different.

Keep gently truckn ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ksiwek

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:59:04 pm »
Hi Suz!

I read your post...my surgery was originally scheduled with Dr Friedman for 7/14, but due to tumor growth and significant increase in symptoms (risk of hydrocephalus), my surgery was moved up to 6/4!  I too had such a positive experience at HEI!  I was diagnosed with a large AN with brainstem compression while pregnant, so needless to say my situation was complicated!  I now have a healthy baby and a tumor free head :)  Drs Friedman and Schwartz saved my life...

I would love to chat with you sometime as we are in the same ballpark of recovery.  I have defn. had my ups and downs and no one can provide the support like someone who is going through it.

PM if you would like to chat sometime!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:00:37 am »
Suz, welcome to the postie club!!! It sure is a great feeling, isn't it? I too had the wonderful care at HEI, I had Dr. Scwartz but Dr. Brackmann was my neurotologist.  Either way they do things top notch there!  There's a bunch of us on here that's been to House in the last year or two here, so if you have any issues or questions, feel free to post it and we can all help you out! Take care and rest easy!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lizard

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:22 am »
Suz,
Welcome to postie land, congrats on a successful surgery, the Dr's at HEI are the best!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt