Author Topic: Surgery Concerns...:(  (Read 13707 times)

Sobes

Surgery Concerns...:(
« on: November 16, 2009, 08:57:08 am »
Hello Everyone!

I have been working like crazy trying to get all my hours in and make some $$ before surgery Dec 22 so have not been visiting here as much. It doesn't take long to get behind on everyone's posts...wow :(

I was wondering if anyone could help answer a few questions for me...all input appreciated :)

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 22. I have been working with my manager and our LOA people in preparation (who've all been wonderful so far). My doctor has me going back to work only 3 weeks after surgery. I find that wonderfully optimistic and yet a bit worrisome :( . Perhaps it is a bit too soon to be concerned about such things but the LOA committee told me that it is better for them and me if the LOA is for a longer period of time rather than not being long enough. Does anyone have an opinion or advice on this?! It is literally keeping me up nights thinking about it :(

Another question I have is for those of you out there who wear contact lenses/glasses. I have spoken to a few people who have not been able to wear their contact lenses after surgery (ever) due to a lack of moisture in the eyes. Have any of you experienced this? Both people I spoke with had also had the middle fossa like I am having.

I appreciate any of you taking the time to answer these questions. I wish I could just turn off my mind for a bit and not let all of this consume me :( Luckily while at work I don't have time to think about it!  :D !

Hoping to catch up on some of your posts soon! I miss being here with all of you! Today is a day off and although there is much to do, I am sure most of my time will be spent here catching up!! lol :)

Hope all of you are doing well!

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery Concerns...:(
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:15:17 am »
Bren ......

December 22 will be here before you know it and then you will have all of this behind you and on to recovery.  Glad you seem to have a good handle on things and are keeping busy getting everything in order.

I do not know what type of work you do ..... and that does make a difference on how soon you will be able to perform the duties required in your job.  That said, recovery is such an individual thing and no one really knows until post-surgery what length it will take.  Assuming you have a sedentary job and you have no complications, other than the fatigue, you probably could return to work in three weeks.  If you have balance issues post-op or a need for hearing well in your work, you very well may need to extend your LOA.

In my mind three weeks would be pushing it.  Any possibility this can be flexible?  Say, ask for six weeks, but return in three if you are OK with it?  Or, can you go back part-time at first?  Do you have Christmas week off anyway so you would have actually more than three weeks?

Regarding the glasses/contacts.  I do not wear contacts but many people find contact wearing post-op to be a problem, at least at first, because of the AN side eye being more dry.  I did not have the dry eye issue but because of double vision for several days and major balance problems I don't think I would have been interested in trying to negotiate inserting a contact for awhile.

Enjoy your day off today!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 09:32:13 am »

Another question I have is for those of you out there who wear contact lenses/glasses. I have spoken to a few people who have not been able to wear their contact lenses after surgery (ever) due to a lack of moisture in the eyes. Have any of you experienced this? Both people I spoke with had also had the middle fossa like I am having.

Hi, Bren,

I wear contact lenses and started wearing them immediately upon release from the hospital following my translab procedure. I didn't bother with them in the hospital because it was just easier dealing with my glasses at that point. I had no problems whatsoever with my contacts. I should also add that I had no occular problems whatsoever -- double-vision, dry-eye, etc. -- either before or after my surgery ... so that was obviously a big factor. As with all things AN, each person can only speak for himself/herself when relating their experiences.

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:34:23 am »
Bren~
Good Morning!
I agree with Clarice that if you have a desk job, you might be able to get away with 3 weeks (didn't Jan go back after two...but she was a CPA); however, if the powers that be say that it is easier to get more up front, I would do that.  Again, you would rather have more time than you need than not be able to work & have problems when you are feeling crummy.  Unfortunately, you are probably going to have fatigue any way you look at it!

I also can comment on the contact/glasses thing.  I have never been able to wear a contact in the AN eye since I had surgery, but I know that MANY people do.  I will advise that if you are blind like me but would like to see a little after surgery, you will need to take an arm off of your glasses - it won't fit because of the bandage....

Don't don't if that helps any...

K  ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ghenier27

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 09:58:26 am »
Hi Newbie, As someone who just had surgery October 19th and I believe I could the AN poster person for the surgery. I have to say that going back to work in your 3rd week is pushing it. While today is the start of my 4th week of recovery. I am a morning person so I have lots of energy in the mornings but come afternoon and I am still wearing down. I nollonger take naps since the first few days I was home. I am just fatigue and would find it hard to work even in a desk type job. Of course, everyone is different. I was driving 4 days after coming home, taking walks with my dogs at the end of the first week. Everyone's tumor is difference, my tumor size was 1.6 cm by .007. I think by allowing yourself a few more days, it wouldn't rush you back to work before YOU were ready too. Take care and you will be in my thoughts and prayers, Debi

mandy721

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:22:06 am »
Hello Bren,

Going into surgery, my husband  after consulting with his surgeon told his office he would be back in three months, sooner if he was able.  As it turned out, he needed every day of that  leave.  His recovery was difficult and it wasn't until week 8 that he could make it through the day without napping.  By the time he went back to work  the first week of November his stamina had improved so that he was able to make it through the day.  Based on Ken's experience, I would encourage you to plan for more than three weeks of leave. 

Mandy 
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Sobes

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:34:31 am »
Thank you so much for your replies! All of your responses are very helpful. I spoke with the doctors secretary about going 5-6 weeks to start and she seems to think that will be fine and is going to check with the doctor. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will describe for you my job: I am a CORE registrar for a hospital. I am the only registrar (with the exception of the ER dept.) from 3-11:30pm and keep very busy. I register all "moms" in LDRP on 4th floor, all MRI/CT/Lab/Sleep Study patients on 1st floor, all surgical patients on 2nd and 3rd floor and all direct admits (mostly transfers from other hospitals as we are a trauma center) in ICU on 2nd and 3rd floors. My job entails a lot of running and keeps me very, very busy and I love it!!! However, it is sometimes difficult for me to keep up as it is and that is my biggest concern about my return...keeping up and not passing out from exhaustion after surgery :( I think most people think of hospital registration as sitting at a desk but my role is very different from that. I know that when I told my manager the doc said probably 3 weeks before return to work she was STUNNED to say the least. Perhaps things will go very well and I will be able to return that quickly but I would much rather be prepared in case there is more time needed :(

Thank you Debi, K, Catherine, Clarice, and Mandy for your very helpful input!! It is so good to be able to get info and advice from those that have actually "been there" :) I know each person and situation is unique and that's why I like to be prepared for the worst but hope/pray for the absolute best!!!

You are all so wonderful and thank you so much! :)

Bren~
SSD (left side)

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:47 am »
Hi Bren
I echo the other input that 3 weeks maght be appressive. I have a desk job and I did not go back for 6 weeks and that was at part time for the 1st week. I know that you do not want to inconvience your work (I know that I didn't) but your health has to come 1st! If you feel like you are ready to go back earlier I'm sure they will take you but if you have longer you will not stress about being ready to go back and you can take the time to heal.
I do not wear contacts so I cannot offer any advice on that. Good luck with your upcomming surgery!
Erin

Sobes

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 02:59:01 pm »
Thank you Erin! I also know they will work with me at work but it may be difficult as all my PTO is being used up for surgery, etc Sad  I thank God for all of you and this site!!! Where else could we all go for such support, encouragement and answers!! Thanks again!
SSD (left side)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »
Bren ~

If you'll accept a late entry I'd like to attempt to answer at least one of your very pertinent questions. 

I think returning to work in your busy job at 3 weeks post-op might be a bit premature.  6 weeks seems to be the norm and even then, part-time hours/days may be necessary.  Remember, you're having major surgery in a very delicate area and this requires some time to heal and adjust.  Your innate sense of caution in this matter is justified. 

I wore glasses at the time of my surgery in 2006 (cataract surgery last year obviated my need for glasses) but I never wore contact lenses.  Your ability to wear your contact lenses will depend on whether you have any 'eye issues', which is unknown at this point.  Of course, the hope is that you won't.  I had a very mild case of 'dry eye' (no drops needed) but my ophthalmologist couldn't find any problems with my eye on the AN side and had no qualms about performing the cataract surgery on that eye. 

Your attitude of hoping for the best while preparing for the worst is prudent.  If your employer expects you to be out for 6 weeks and you can return, even part-time, in 4 weeks, no one will complain.  However, should you tell your employer you'll be back in 3 weeks and actually need 6, that could generate problems and quite likely, some resentment from your employer.  Who needs that?

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sobes

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:44:39 pm »
Jim ~

Thank you and there's no such thing as an entry that's too late as far as I'm concerned! ;) If that were the case none of my entries would count lol !!

It sounds like your cataract surgery was a success?! That is wonderful! Do you still have any problems with dry eye?

It was the HR person at work who questioned the 3 weeks and said to talk with the doctor as it will be better to have more time than needed then to not have enough time and then have to extend the leave and have my supervisor struggle to find a replacement, etc. So I completely agree with you. I think 3 weeks sounds so...short :( I have a great relationship with my supervisor and manager and would hate to have that affected by being unprepared- I don't want them to have me gone unexpectedly...so far they have ample time to prepare for my absence.

Oh...and also...I hope this is posted in the correct section?! Never quite sure where to post, etc. :(

Thanks again, as always I value your input! This is so helpful...  :)

Bren~
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 03:47:48 pm by Jim Scott »
SSD (left side)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 04:50:45 pm »
Bren,

I know I sent you a PM already but I can't remember what I said.  :D Anyway, your situation sounds like mine only worse. At three weeks, I would definitely not have been ready. Of course, everyone's different and you might be just fine, but more like 6 to even 8 or 12 weeks sounds a lot better. My doc wouldn't even fill out work paperwork until after surgery when he could have a better idea of the outcome.
Sounds like your employer is pretty understanding, so that's good. Do you think you could tell them "My doctor has me signed out for three weeks, but from what I understand about this surgery I'm expecting to really need ___ weeks (however much you want)." If your dr won't change his recommendation after surgery and you're really not feeling like you can /should go back, you can try to talk to your PT if you get one or PCP or anyone else more sympathetic who can sign the papers for you.
Good luck!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

epc1970

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 05:42:50 pm »
Hi Bren
Just wanted to add one more thing that worked for me: I had my surgery 3,000 miles away from home so I asked 1 friend at work to take responsibilty for letting my boss and coworkers know what was going on until I  was out of the hospital and could communicate on my own. I orginally thought I would be out 4 weeks but after my two week checkup to clear me to fly home, my surgeon pushed my return to work date back two more weeks based on how I was feeling. As soon as I knew that, I emailed my boss and continued to keep him posted on my progress (like "watch out on the roads" I'm starting to drive again!) Because I had established good communication from the start, my boss worked around my needs and when it came time to go back to work, there were no surprises that I needed to start back 1/2 days. The return to work thing can be so fluid so be sure to keep your supervisors up to date so there are no surprises and they can adapt to your needs.
Erin

moe

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:01:04 pm »
Hi Bren,
Welcome to the forum, it's a great place, isn't it?
You mentioned you have a small AN so hopefully surgery will be a piece of cake, and you will be good to go in _______weeks. (Fill in the blank a couple of weeks after surgery!)
Everyone is sooo different. The fatigue is the big obstacle for most people, and the brain gets a good bit of manipulation I'm sure, even though the surgery isn't IN the brain.
Try to stay as active as possible with exercising  if you are an exerciser. That helps tremendously. I did very well post op (don't count the nerve cut). I have always been an avid exerciser, and it really made a difference. But the fatigue came and went for quite a while. just plan rest periods  (ha) once you recover.
Let us know of any concerns, questions, what to bring to the hospital (chap stick, bathrobe, slippers- that's about it!), what to expect (first three days don't count- this is brain surgery)-Hey I'm answering the questions~
Really ask away, we're here for you ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 08:23:44 am »
Bren -

as others have said, the 6 week mark is the typical timeframe for returning to work.  However, a lot depends on your job and how physically taxing it is.

I work a desk job (accountant) and returned to work part-time (half days) @ 2 1/2 weeks and full-time at 4 weeks.  My biggest issue at work was fatigue - and once again, I stress I have a desk job.

Everyone is different and everyone recovers differently - and it's possible you may not be able to return to work 3 weeks post op.  But, I'm confident that your doctor will not let you return if he - or you - don't think you are ready for it.

Just take things as they come, and go from there.  As they say, man planned - God laughed!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways