Author Topic: Supplements can affect AN symptoms, Tinnitus  (Read 12191 times)

antoinette

Supplements can affect AN symptoms, Tinnitus
« on: August 31, 2006, 06:31:05 am »
My 15 years plus tinnitus has faded to nothing a few times. It is the strangest feeling to suddenly taste silence. Oddly it felt like I was missing something but not the tinnitus. It almost gave me some anguish, then I turn on the tube for company and the sound was clearer. This is when I noticed the absence of tinnitus. So, it had already lasted a few minutes. I  listened to everything, I went outside and listened. And it started to ooze back in, progressively. It took about 6 minutes to be back to a normal volume the silence lasted also 6 to 8 minutes.
This has happened now four times. Once, it vanished for so long, I believe I was rid of it. Twice it came back so weakened that it was like no tinnitus for most of the day.  Once it was while driving on a highway. I had to stop the car, it was so weird. When the tinnitus is back, it has some variance, and after a while a deep, warm sound like a boat call in the fog with a far away echo, but this last only for a few seconds.
I tried to understand what did bring this. Like anyone here, I would love to “miss� my tinnitus for good. The only thing I am sure affect it positively is supplements, especially vitamins B. But glucosamine could be helping too. The fact that I always take one of these with calcium at bed time to help sleep make the tinnitus a lot softer in the morning. Coffee brings it right back with a vengeance.
I am inviting you to pay some attention to the effect supplements have on your tinnitus. And please, could you add your observations to mine?
Thanks,
antoinette

tatianne

Re: Supplements can affect AN symptoms, Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 06:36:31 am »
coffee does the same thing to me, it increases my tinnitus to crazy loud, no more caffeine for me.

Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 06:41:39 am »
I was told by my ent to avoid all caffiene. 
I don't take any supplements but after hearing your story I think I might try some to see what happens!  Even a few minutes relief sounds like a blessing!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 06:54:00 am »

My ENT actually yelled at me when I told her I averaged 10 cups of coffee a day !  ;D

I dont really notice a difference in my "T" when I stop the coffee .. so I continue to be a heavy coffee drinker and my "T" just roars on, I've had it for years, so I kinda used to it .. If I could stop it, I would LOVE to hear silence again..  I even visit a tinnitus forum once in a blue moon .. and they don't have any "real" help .. just a lot of complaining about it...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 07:09:43 am »
my T did quite down a little in the few days after surgery  ;D ... I assume because of the morphine! .. and stayed low until I returned to work (even with coffee!)... and immediately jumped back up to where it was before surgery  >:( .. I assume because of a blood pressure jump up also ... I take a multi vitamin .. nothing fancy .. anyway, I think it the BP more than anything, not the caffeine itself .. but anything the raises the Blood Pressure
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 07:12:46 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

SKT

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 09:06:03 am »
Aaah, the tinnitus -  was there really ever a time when i didn't hear it. Oh how loud it gets when I get tired or walk into a noisy room. It's so overpowering, it's unbelievable.  Are we any closer to understanding it or improving it?  Anyone??

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:22:21 am »
The first thing the Headache Wizard told me to do for myself was to rid myself of all caffeine, esp when he noticed the "head noise" on my list of grievances (symptoms) That includes soft drinks and now I just have diet root beer, (which has no phosphoric acid either) I also take a multi-vit, glucosamine/condroitin, calcium, a liver de-toxer (for the dreaded Neurontin) and Sam-e, which I don't know too much about, cept it supposedly improves mood. I had to quit with the happy pills cuz of the reaction with Imitrex, which I shoot up 2-3-4 times a week for cluster headaches (thanks AN). I haven't paid too much attention to my T lately as I generally drown the treefrogs out with music, TV or a fan, which Dr. Love wanted me to clean to make it "quieter"--NO I said--I like it noisy. I'll pay more attention and get back to ya!  Nice to hear from you Antoinette--I remember you from the old listserve when I was diagnosed!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:49:26 pm »
                                                                                     ACT IV

[ The Lair of Crazycat]

Enter Crazycat.

Gawd.....

Life without coffee!? I cannot conceive of such a thing. Gadzooks!!!!!

Incidentally, I have read several times that the mineral / supplement "Manganese" is supposed to help in the allaying of tinnitus. I bought a bottle of the stuff six years ago but never opened it because I hate taking pills of any kind. "Double, bubble, toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble"."Fair is foul and foul is fair. Hover through the fog and filthy air".
 Research it on Google to be sure.

To Captn' Deb: I'll send you a more detailed message regarding our Florida trip soon. "By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked
this way comes". (Had to put those in there......I love "Shapesphear")   ;D  .....Paul

Exeunt

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 04:26:48 pm »
Wow...time with no tinnitus???  What would that be like?   I was almost envious until I thought that actually might send me straight to the duldrums if I knew what it was like to have silence.   I don't know....or are you excited because this may be a sign it might go away?  I have not done much experimenting on lessening it, but am interested in comments....It's always there, but I almost never notice it unless it gets mentioned.
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:26 pm »
Which Viatamin B did you use? 
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

antoinette

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 03:34:26 pm »
Hi again, I take 3 tablets with breakfast. One B-50 which is B-complex, one One-a-day Centrum and one glucosamine 900 with chondroitine "extra-strength", because if I miss that glucosamine, I can't walk the next day.
Not having pain in the hip has relieved the pain from the adrenal tumor, right kidney, and it does a lot of good to my neck too.
I often have another weaker glucosamine at night with a calcium pill. But I found the calcium liquid from Costco works much better. my nails tell me right away. Right now my nail can bend and are very short from breaking lately. With the liquid calcium, my nail become like permanent features, able to stab, cut and peel even potatoes. Down side, I can't clean my nose with my fingers then. Now, it's OK
It is 4 time the price though. I'llmcheck where they make it
antoinette :-)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:23:02 pm »
Thanks.  Got a B-50 tablets today at Trader Joes.  I am anxious to see if this will really help me.  If it does, I may have to kiss ya on the lips!! :-* ;D ;D ;D
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

antoinette

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 05:09:18 pm »
Sorry, my week for girl was last week.
But I eat sensibly too. Veggies, very little protein, and, frankly, everything is alright in moderation, and mix a lot of small different things at each meals. I am careful with vino, half a beer makes me feel like a teddy bear, exceptionally rarely, anything goes. I even had a full large onion saute in a frying pan the other day, which is something I had not touch for years. It passed fine and tasted great. But it was a very good sweet one, not cheap. they know what they are selling, they price it accordingly.
antoinette

Road Trip Dale

• Dale - 6 days after surgery!
    • Frappr/dale
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 09:29:25 am »
Sounds like the Road Trip is going ta have ta change his way of eating...I don't drink coffee, but I don't think I can live without a McDonald's Diet Coke (I think they put some addictive element like REAL COKE! in them).  B-50 vitamins sounds interesting...my DW (Dear Wife) Carol has started me using Glyco-nutrients.  I don't know much about them, like any good husband I just do as I told, (as I get more information I'll pass it along), but she thinks it may make me feel better (I don't know what she wants?  If I felt any better than I do now, I'd be rich and sailing the Carib' with Capt'n Deb as Skipper and Jimmy Buffet as first mate).

Seriously, I'd try about anything to achieve true silence...thanks for the info.

RTD
1.75 AN Right Side
Translab 4/16/06
Dr. Charles Leutje and Dr. Paul Camarata
St Luke's, Kansas City, MO

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 12:06:33 pm »
I'm a diabetic, so I have to eat sensibly.  I try to have a variety of foods...I love veggies and fruit and we eat little beef, but I do need the protein from fish or chicken. I've gotten Buffalo (Bison) and that makes great chili or hamburgers.  Much lower in fat and higher in protein than beef.  Just got a great, big, heavy cookbook from Costco.  "Eating Light" with about 500 recipes that are fairly healthy as far as the main dishes go.  It's beautiful!!  And it has the added benefit of strengthening my arms as I lift the darn thing. I took the Vit B and I'm going "no caffeine" today to see if I notice a difference in my tinnitus.  Thanks again for the tip.

Ok, I'll just give you a hug, okay?? ;)

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode