Author Topic: symptoms on the non AN side...right?!  (Read 3882 times)

mellowrama

symptoms on the non AN side...right?!
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:55:38 pm »
ok, I feel really silly asking this but I was certain that my AN was on my right side and facial symptoms etc show on the left.
AN's affect the opposite side correct? 

My doc's nurse was telling me that it was the same side, and then she was discouraging me from having too many MRI's cause of radiation!
I told her that MRI's do not have radiation and that they're based on magnitism... she told me I was wrong, and then I felt like crap all day until confirming it with the imaging center that I was correct....this is not making me feel good about returning there for surgery.
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

sgerrard

Re: symptoms on the non AN side...right?!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:49:33 pm »
The symptoms from an AN show up on the same side as the AN. But you are right about the MRI not being x-ray. I wouldn't judge the surgical team by how much the nurse knew about it; it is not that uncommon for people to make that mistake.

I wonder if your AN was on the other side, and you got mixed up by looking at an MRI picture? People often have trouble sorting out which side is which.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:55:34 pm »
There are no silly questions .......   :)

I am not a doctor, but to the best of my knowledge ANs grow from the cells covering the vestibular portion of the auditory nerve, as it leads from the brainstem to the cochlea (one on each side).  This area is outside the cerebellum or cerebrum where other critical functions are found.  See http://www.waiting.com/brainanatomy.html  for a better explanation.  It is my understanding that the left cranial nerves (which include the auditory nerve ...... nerve VIII) control the left side.  An injury such as a stroke that occurs within the cerebrum controls the opposite side.

My AN was on my left side, which is where my hearing loss is and where that surgery was done.  My previous trigeminal neuralgia (nerve V) was on my right side, which is the side the surgery for that was done.

It seems incredible to me that a neurosurgeon's nurse does not know how MRIs work!?!?!   :-\  I would certainly ask some really hard questions from someone else in that office if you pursue this medical group.  Can you ask someone to show you your actual MRI of your AN?  Then you will know for sure which side it is on.  Either your doctor or the imaging center should be able to do that.

Let us know what is going on.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 09:14:39 pm »
I have to agree with the statements above.  As a surgical nurse, I can say that Radiology is not our specialty, but most people know that MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging.  All magnets, no radiation.  But, let's give the nurse the benefit of the doubt.....she will not be the one performing surgery.  I agree in that you should ask all questions that are in your head, and if you have a bad gut feeling, or if they seem to give you the incorrect info, seek a second opinion.  In my profession, I strive to know more than my patient.  It shouldn't be the other way around :):)
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 05:21:57 pm »
thanks for all the feedback!  I have seen my mri many times, and the an is on the right unless I'm reading it wrong....no hearing loss but I do have facial symtoms on the left, so....I guess that means it is on the left side then.

m
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »
Hi there,

I have been reading the posts and I am totally confused. I thought that wherever the AN side is whether on the left or on the right, that is where your symptoms come from. Mine is on the right, treatment I would assume is on the right, my hear loss and all other symptoms are on the right. Is this correct?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:11:06 pm »
m .....

When I first saw my MRI, I said the same thing ..... why is it showing up on the right when my symptoms are on the left?  Then the ENT explained that the MRI view we were looking at was from the front (coronal) so it appeared that way.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 09:33:12 pm »
It is an odd thing about MRIs. When we look at a picture of our face, we are perfectly okay with the fact that our left side is on the right side of the picture, and vice versa. It is what we expect. With the MRI, for some reason, when we look at the picture that shows neck at the bottom, nose in the middle, we tend  to see it as looking at our head from behind, instead of from the front. Probably because it doesn't look like our face. :)

Here is my face, and here is the MRI of my left side AN. Both are from the front, and my left ear is on the right side of both pictures:

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 01:50:26 am »
Bravo Steve!!!

That really proves that a picture is worth a thousand words! Thank-you for that!!! I hope it helps everyone who is confused!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???