Author Topic: EYE DROP ?  (Read 5299 times)

satman

EYE DROP ?
« on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:38 am »
Hello everybody.
I would like to know what eye drops you guys have had the best results with.
please give me info on drops and lube.
I have been using lacri-lube,and have noticed that it creates some type of mucuus after a while.
I also use artificial tears and have noticed that while it soothes the eye it doesnt seem to work for very long.
With the lacri-lube I have noticed that it makes my eye red,yet seems to take away the burn.
HELP,Please....

kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Cheryl R

Re: EYE DROP ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:47:37 am »
  Refresh  Liquigel!           Couldn't get along without it!          Celluvisc is good if one needs a bit heavier but it causes blurriness while the Liquigel doesn't.       I don't like the little individual vials of drops as poke myself in the eye but some like them as are preservative free.               It is maddening that one has to experiment to see what works for them.        Genteal didn't work for me at all.                               I also wish our local Targets carried the smaller bottle of the Liquigel as they only now carry the larger economy size.     Walmart does carry the smaller bottle.
   I am to the point where some days I don't have to use hardly any drops and some days do  a lot.  It seems to be worse when I am out doing errands or shopping.   
               Hope this helps.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:06:29 am »
I like the Refresh Liquigel the best too.  The Genteal daytime stuff is okay, but I've found the Genteal PM turns very watery after a few minutes in your eye and all runs out.  I haven't found anything as good as the Lacrilube for night time.  I do notice the goo in the morning from that though, but I bought just plain eye wash (I have the Baush and Lomb for sensitive eyes) and it seems like the goo gets rinsed out pretty good with that.

Sam's Club had a 2 pack of the smaller bottles of Liquigel for a pretty good price last time I was there.  I poke myself in the eye with the little plastic vials too - but I like them to be able to stick in my pocket for "emergency lubrication".

It is strange the everyone has to figure out what works for them by trial and error.  You'd think there would be one good one out there that would work for everyone.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

satman

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:27:02 am »
I have tried Genteal lube and it made my eye burn,I am currently using Lacri-lube and it makes my eye red.
does anyone know if both of these have preservatives ?
I am just so fed up trying to figure all this crap out.
does anybody have a list of preservative free gels and drops.
I have heard that the preservatives are what causes irratation,is this true?
I am about ready to go buy a bullet,just kidding.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 10:42:12 am »
Super “8�

The genteal brand has a preservative. Because they were less expensive than the others I stocked up on those… big mistake as it turned out I was allergic to the preservative and had to toss the whole lot.

I recommend this line
http://www.allergan.com/site/products/consumers/home.asp?id=refresh_plus

Also it is important to clean your eyelid and lashes daily. Being that you are not blinking the lashes build up with gunk… which will also irritate the eye.

I use this stuff
OCuSOFT® Lid Scrub Pre-Moistened Pads
http://www.ocusoft.com/PatientCat/lidscrub.htm

These are available at most drugstores and pharmacies etc

You are going to need to install a medicine cabinet into the phone booth… to store your stuff along side your kryptonite.

Satmann Super 8 – faster than a news truck in a Texas Snow Storm…

So how much snow did you get there over Thanksgiving?

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 01:51:31 pm »
Well, i can't be sure, but I think a bullet might make your eye a little more red and irritated.   :P

My opthomologist gave me some samples of Thera Tears.  They are preservative free and a bit thicker than the Liquigel in my opinion.  They are good if I'm having a bad eye day, but they are usually a little more than I need.  I had a tear duct cauterization done, so usually I have too much moisture in that eye and can use the thinner stuff if needed.

The TheraTears are made by Advanced Vision Research  (www.theratears.com).  Maybe you can get some samples of a few things so you don't have a cabinet full of drops that you don't use - like I do...I could open my own pharmacy!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

chrissmom

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 06:56:43 pm »
Chris' problems with his eye (redness) seemed to coincide with the change from prescription eye drops (Isoptotears - $3.00) to Over the counter eye drops.  We tried everything...including Refresh.  The redness was cleared up with prescriptionTobradex (antibiotic and steroid drop). His eyes seem dry while at school as you don't blink as often when studying and using a computer.  So your eyes tend to dry.  I think his conjunctivitis is actually due to dry eye.  He will be going back on the Isoptotears and  He will need to use Lacrilube more frequently . His doctor is sending him to a neuro-opthalmologist, the same doctor who put in his gold weight. Stay tuned...

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 07:41:48 pm »
I was having problems with my eye turning red.  I think it was from dryness.  I now put in PM Refresh Eyes, the ointment, every 4 to 5 hours during the day.  It's not great for vision, but I've gotten used to seeing out of one eye.  At least it keeps my eye from getting red.  My eye can get red easily since I don't blink and have no feeling in it.  I also have to be very careful if I put anything new into my eye.  It seems to get irriated by most anything new.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

luv2teachsped

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 08:24:35 pm »
Hi-

I have a lot of problems with my eyes too, and have a collection  of gels, drops and ointments.  I have found another new one called Soothe, and it works really well for me. It does blur my vision for a few secs, but last a whole lot longer than drops.I too use the ointment at night. Luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:01 pm »
Hi Rita:  sorry to hear of Chris' eye problems.   You know, I thought the weight was suppose to help us blink, but it looks like we never blink all the way ...
My eye doc told me even when I closed my eyes hard, the right eye doesn't close all the way, but does close enough to protect the cornea.   
I find this eye issue to be so frustrating.  When I get an eyelash in my eye it sticks right on the eye - I have to douse it with eye drops, then get it out with a tissue.
I'm back to using the NITEYE bubble at night again.    I've even contemplated having my eye stitched shut it gets so annoying, but my vanity stops me.
Wish there WAS a solution to this issue.   I've taken care of the droop with surgery, but it seems nothing works with getting a paralyzed eyelid to blink all the way,
to stay closed at night for sleep.....
Just needed to vent...
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 10:22:34 pm »
Today in CVS while waiting on a prescription to be filled,  I saw some clear plastic patches to put on
wounds while batheing... two sizes... big enough to go around eye and bigger ones about
6x6 ... 5 of the small ones were $3.95... cheaper than the eye patches for keeping
gel in eyes at night that I ordered and look about the same ... I don't need them anymore but
thought I would pass it on
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 06:53:46 am »
Soundy:  Do you remember the name/company of the product?  I'll see if I can find them at CVS next time I go.   I just bought 5 packs of 14/pack NITEYE bubble - set me back a little over $100.00     I'll try anything that's cheaper - I use them every night;  since this looks like it'll be long term for me anything less expensive is worth a try.
Thanks,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 07:59:31 am »
Nancy,

Big ole mothering Canadian bear hugs being sent you way! SO sorry to read the eye issues continue for you.

How are other areas of your face (post tendon transfer) healing and responding?

You have been such a trooper through this.

More hugs.

4 :)
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2007, 08:14:44 am »
Thanks 4,  yeah, it seems the eye issues continue for me & others; when I was still hoping for any movement or increased tone, my neurologist told me the eye area is the last to come back, if it does at all.  My right eyelids are still swollen, ice packs help, but then it just starts to swell again.  Takes time said the doc.
As far as the surgery, I am so happy with the appearance - no more droop.  Still a little swollen, but that is slowly going away.  I have to bite down frequently & make a closed mouth smile on my left side to equal the right, that still hurts but not as much.  I kinda wish I didn't bother with the chemical peel under the eye.  I can't be out in the sun even with protection - it could discolor the skin, so I've pretty much been homebound.   I could go for a walk when the sun goes down, I'm just not motivated lately....
Yeah, geuss I'm just tired of it all, wish I had Jean's & janitorx's outlook.  I've been a bit of a pill lately.....
Always good thoughts (at least trying!),    Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2007, 03:56:49 pm »
HI everyone!  Satman…..I like the Genteal PM gel for night (aka EYE GOOP).  I also use the Refresh PM gel for night and I think Genteal works better.  About 2 months ago another AN’r suggested Refresh Liquigels.  They are an absolute lifesaver!  The wholesale clubs have them, 2 big squeeze btls for $17 or so bucks.  I have tried the Refresh Tears, but I don’t think my eye is ready for that yet…..I need something more viscous.  The Liquigel is a bit blurry at first (nothing like PM gel) but lasts a fairly long time and is comfortable.

Adrian :-\ (i'm going to keep signing off like this.  It represents my current smile.....)
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!