Author Topic: Update  (Read 12998 times)

amymeri

Re: Update
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 05:45:11 am »
If you haven't been seeing a neuro-ophthalmologist then I would seek a referral ASAP.  That is who would generally do the gold weight surgery and who would evaluate your eyes in a case like this.  If you live near a major medical center or med school then there should be one on staff.

Anyways, my neuro=ophthalmologist had never ordered the eye weights before but was willing to order them for me.  Basically, I went in and he tried the weights (mine was 1.2).  They are the same weights used when they determine which one to put in during surgery.  The he called in a script (or fax it) to the Blnkeze folksMailing Address: 

FCI Ophthalmics
P.O. Box 465
Marshfield Hills, MA 02051   FCI Ophthalmics
20 Winter Street
Pembroke, MA 02359

Tel: 800-932-4202
Tel: 781-826-9060
Fax: 781-826-9062

I called them as well because I wanted them billed to my credit card and shipped directly to my house.  It cost $70.  The weights were in my mailbox in 2-3 days!

Don't bother calling around, because no one will know what you are talking about and so they will blow you off.  This stuff is so rare that regular docs just don't know.  Make an appointment with whoever is managing your eyes (even if its the NS) and print out all the information and ask for their help.  Since it is something that can't hurt you, I think most providers are happy to help even if they don't know much about the weights.  If your current docs won't help, get the referral to the ophthalmologist.

I found the weight slipped if I got hot or sweaty, and it took awhile to get it "right" and it was kind of noticable.  But it did allow me to mostly close my eye and keep it moister.

In my case the dryness got a lot better between 3-4 months and now I lubricate several times a day but not constantly.  I avoid fans and breezes, wear wrap around sunglasses outside (wearing glasses would help too) and patch at night.

Check out www.bellspalsy.ws for more eye care ideas.

Amy

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

chrissmom

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2006, 07:06:24 am »
Chris had the gold weight put in while still in the hospital.  Glad we did.  It only took a week to heal and now you can't tell a thing.  We use Lacrilube every night and he never wears any kind of patch.  His eye is fine. Go for it !

cinnamon

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2006, 09:27:02 am »
I go back to my eye doctor next month. I will be sure to take some information with me. He would be doing the surgery for the eye weight so i guess he is an ophthalmologist. I just am thinking of ways around surgery. I was planning to call blinkeze and see if they have any doctors who use it around here. Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what I find out.

Lisa
2.0 cm tumor removed suboccipital on 07-20-06
Left side facial paralysis and deaf ear. Just now researching hearing aid after 6 years!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2006, 03:58:54 pm »
Cinnamon/Lisa: I just went back through the postings here and saw your question to me about drops etc. when I first went back to work....yes I used my drops frequently when I first returned to work (the hospital can be a very dry environment) but over time I found I used them less and less (too busy to stop and put them in). I really don't take good care of my eye though and keep getting told off by my eye doctor.
KathleenMc
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)