Author Topic: CPA MENINGIOMAS  (Read 6367 times)

Vivian B.

CPA MENINGIOMAS
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:14:30 pm »
Hi there,

I am totally confused about difference between ICA AN and a CPA meningioma. Dr.s telll me they are of the same pathology just different location. Has anyone out there had radiation treatment for CPA meningiomas?

Thanks
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

joebloggs

Re: CPA MENINGIOMAS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »
From what i understand (and anyone else feel free to chime in and correct me!) an AN begins to grow from the cells of the sheath of the vestibular nerve (CN VIII) and is benign (there have been a handful (about 5 I think) non-benign cases so tres rare).  The AN starts growing in the internal auditory canal (IAC), as it gets too big for that area it starts to spill out into the cerebellopontine angle (CPA) and will in time begin to displace brain tissue and press into the brain stem.  The tumour is very slow growing however some cases have a little growth spurt for whatever reason.

A CPA meningioma is also a benign tumour which grows in the cerebellopontine angle (CPA) and starts growing from the cells of the meninges (the protective covering of the brain).  Exactly like AN's they are generally benign, slow growing and don't start spreading into the brain they just push on it a bit.  AN's are more common than CPA meningioma's.  Because the CPA meningioma's come from the brain lining and not the nerve cells, there is less chance of hearing or facial nerve damage during surgery.   

There's probably heaps more difference than that - but that is just my simple understanding.  My friend's mum had a CPA meningioma and had a very similar surgery to me.  We're both fine and dandy!  Not sure about radiation, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with that one!

Take care

JB
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:50:43 pm by joebloggs »
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:25:40 pm »
Vivian ~

I'm not a doctor but to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge, Cerebellopontine Angle ('CPA') meningiomas are relatively rare and often generate symptoms very similar to an acoustic neuroma.  They are rarely found in the internal auditory canal ('IAC').  I believe they can only be positively identified via an MRI scan, with contrast.  I seem to recall reading that CPA meningiomas are somewhat easier for the surgeon to resection and that hearing preservation is more likely.  Of course, I could be wrong.  As I stated, I'm not a doctor.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Vivian B.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 06:20:44 pm »
Thank you both for your information. I am also concerned at this point with regrowth and whether or not anyone has  any information of CPA meningiomas regrowing malignant.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:25:28 pm »
"Meningiomas are the second most common tumor to arise in the Cerebellopontine Angle (CPA) after acoustic neuromas. While acoustic neuroma and meningioma are both benign and slow-growing, because CPA meningiomas arise from the brain lining rather than nerve cells, they can be removed surgically with less chance of losing hearing or facial nerve function."

I copied this from a source I used before my surgery.  Joeloggs is correct in her assessment also.  Only 10% of intracranial tumors occur in the CPA.  Of those tumors, 90% are ANs and about 10% are meningiomas.

Here's another blurb I found:

http://www.phillycyberknife.com/treatment/meningiomas.aspx

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »
Thank you Prescilla,

One of the Drs. from the Cyberknife website told me that mengiomas may regrow regardless of surgery or radiation and have a tendency of possibly growing malignant after a few recurrences. I don't want to alarm you I am just concerned. Did you hear of anything like that?

Vivian

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:06:36 pm »
Hi Prescilla,

Great site. I just read it and feel much better. I was having a bad evening thinking about all of this. I guess you chose surgery because of the size. It makes sense.

Thanks again. If you have any other information about my previous question, please advise.

Vivian