Author Topic: My AN has returned  (Read 6340 times)

vicki1967

My AN has returned
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:47:21 pm »
Has anyone experienced a return of their AN after surgery? I had my surgery in '08 and was told yesterday, after an MRI, that I have another that is 2mx1m. I've been quite depressed, as it took me 2 full years to recover from the first surgery.

hendi51

Re: My AN has returned
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:17:35 pm »
My husband has his tumor removed in 2011 and was told today an MRI showed another mass. We have appointment with neuro the 28th of this month.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

Kkento

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:11:04 pm »
I was operated on in November of 2004, and my AN is also growing back, it is approximately 4mm and my ENT indicated that even though it is 10 years, he thinks it is too soon for it to be growing back. I had a small AN (approx 8mm) but was told that my symptoms were very large for such a small tumor. It was removed using the subocciptal approach, and I lost hearing in my right ear, tinnitus got worse and my balance which the doctors thought would come back to at least 90%+ actually never did. So now they may want to use the Gammna knife, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the knife was successful, and are there any side effects. I was told back in 2004 that there was not enough long term data to take the chance of using the Gamma knife, it was unclear at the time what the long term effects would be. I would like to thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.
Sincerely

elsie

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:17 pm »
Hi, all,

My AN has returned - after 25 years - which my doctor initially said was impossible.  Go figure - 10 years too soon - 25 years, too long?  I have one forming at 3.5mm and another one at 9mm.  A doctor at House said that the odds of return after this long are so infinitesimally small that they are less than .0001 in a million.  How special!

All doctors have said that I should do watch and wait and then Cyber Knife if necessary.  Don't know if this is due to my age now (61) or something else.  Surgery would be my preference as I want it out, but the risks may be too high. 

It really threw me for a loop initially when I got the firm diagnosis in January, but learning to live with it now.  If you work on it and get involved with as many things as possible, the anxiety does recede.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 03:22:15 am »
my regrowth was found approx. 7 years post op, it continued to grow and I had another surgery to remove it......it happens!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

lil_lyd

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:10:28 am »
Hello everyone! Just wondering if anyone had any symptoms or how was the regrowth diagnosed?
2.5cm diagnosed 11/06. Translab surgery 02/21/07 at Kaiser San Diego. SSD and very blessed.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36:18 am »
My AN regrew to 1.3 cm three years after retrosigmoid surgical removal (2.6 cm at removal).  Had it removed a second time via translabyrinthine approach.  Now three years later, still monitoring a teensy spot still showing on the MRIs.

I never had new symptoms, although my speech discrimination score on the follow-up audiograms was going down.  The regrowth was discovered on regular follow-up MRIs.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 02:02:24 am »
I did not have symptoms of the regrowth, I had already lost all there was to loose (hearing, balance, facial nerve etc.) the first time around and I got it removed before it caused any other symptoms
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:55:19 pm by Kathleen_Mc »
Loss of 7-10th nerves
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 02:42:58 pm »
After reading your posts, I just want to send all of you a cyber hug.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

Suzy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 07:02:53 pm »
I also had retrosigmoid surgery Aug 2008. I was just diagnosed with regrowth 1.3 cm. One doctor says to do cyberknife and one doctor says to do translab. I decided to wait six months and get another mri. If it continues to grow then I will make a decision. My current concern is that both neurosurgoens say headaches are not caused by AN's. I started having bad headaches again 4 months ago and started getting more balance issues. I knew the tumor was back before I got the results. I don't believe headaches are not a result of this. I also believe more than 1out of 1million get a reoccurance.
I am sorry you also have a reoccurance. Please let me know what you decide to do.
Take care!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:34:45 pm »
I don't know about Doctor's opinion's that AN's do not cause headaches....so many of us had them pre-op.
I can say the headaches I had pre-op were horrible and since surgery I haven't had the same type of headaches again (nor as bad)
Just my two cents on that topic
Loss of 7-10th nerves

Ned

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 07:10:58 am »
Regrowth played a major role in my decision to avoid surgery. Has anyone had regrowth post radiation? I am curious, why would choose additional surgery with regrowth when you might have regrowth again? I would talk with experienced radiation oncologist regarding this decision. When I was making my decision the surgeons all said it was unusual to have regrowth but couldn't convince me.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm