Author Topic: Well, I'm almost en route to House  (Read 3452 times)

davecz

• Magic Scarf Ride
Well, I'm almost en route to House
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:08:21 am »
It's been quite some time since I've visited the ANA. I decided to take a break from The ANA in general since it was causing a bit of anxiety. I've been keeping busy traveling and visiting friends around the country. I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Florida with my daughter. Since I got my final surgery date, a few months ago, I've been working out every day at the gym. That has certainly made a big difference in my health. I was more into body building in the past, but have been concentrating more on cardio. I decided to treat my surgery as a marathon race. So for the past few months, I've been training for my marathon. Changed my eating habits too. Cut out sugar, fatty foods and a lot of processed foods. All of this has made a huge difference in the way I feel both mentally and physically. 

When I first started back at the gym, I would get tired 20 mins into my workout. After a few weeks of pushing myself, my stamina and strength improved dramatically. A lot of what I believed were AN symptoms started to diminish. And after a few months of just sweating it out, I'm ready physically for my surgery. Spiritually, I'm ready for my surgery too. Mentally, I'm ready, but I expect that to change the day of surgery. I suspect I'll become quite nervous when I check in at 0600 hrs on April 27. However, I'm taking the positive approach and I'm ready for my marathon. 

I've decided to have a pre-op party this sat and have invited a lot of friends and family. I thought it would be a good idea to do something positive prior to my surgery. It is also keeping me busy (preoccupied), which is diverting my attention from the surgery. And I have to clean my house for the party, which is something I've put off these past few months. 

I'll be heading to LA this Wed.  Stopping in Fresno to pickup a very close friend who will be with me for five days. Thur is my pre-op appointment at House and Kaiser where I'll be having the surgery. I have Dr. Friedman and Dr. Swartz as my surgeons. I'm very happy with my decision to have the best of the best doing my surgery. I have the magic scarf and will be taking it along with me. Thank you Clarice and Mindy for making that happen. 

Just wanted to share my way of dealing with this AN that I refuse to let bring me down. Thanks to all who have taken the time to write me and share your experience, knowledge and wisdom. I will be back to share my experience once I'm on my way to recovery. 

Sincerely

Dave   :)
Diagnosed 11/23/2011, R-AN, 3.0cm, Age: 51, very
athletic, symptoms; Sudden hearing loss R Ear, balance
 issues, fatigue, tinnitus. Surgery HEI, 04/27/2012, Dr.
Friedman & Swartz. Post op, translab, 100% tumor removal,
Facial nerve intact, no balance issues, released 3 days post op,
Doing grea

Archer

Re: Well, I'm almost en route to House
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:57 am »
Good luck Dave.  I sure the work you have done getting ready will pay off.  Just think, in two weeks you'll be on the mend and done with your marathon.

Enjoy your party!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:06 am »
Woo Hoo, Dave .....

A pre-op party sounds like a marvelous diversion!  Have fun!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:06:10 am »
Good luck Dave.  The pre-op party sounds like a great idea!!  I might have to do the same.   :)  We'll be waiting to here from you.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:07:45 am »
Sounds like you've done all the right things to be in the best possible state prior to your surgery, Dave! You're right that having something to take your mind off all the AN stuff is so helpful.  Glad to hear you have the Magic Scarf!  Been a LONG time since we've seen any pics here of someone with it (hint, hint ;) ).

Best to you in LA - you will be in good hands,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:47 am »
As both a House alumn and magic scarf recipient, I wish you good luck! It's amazing how something so little (for most of us anyways) can have such a huge impact in our lives!  Will be looking for you once you hit postie land! Take care and have fun with your party! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:03:16 am »
Hey Dave. Your in the best hands. I told Dr. Schwartz to take good care of you. Archer you too. You both may bump into each other at Seton if that's where your staying. There is another on this board named Eric who is having surgery on the 26th at St Vincent. *Here comes the sun* do do do
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012