Author Topic: Things I wish I had of known before surgery...  (Read 9467 times)

Lilan

Re: Things I wish I had of known before surgery...
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »
I'm going through the five stages of pre-AN surgery... Denial, Bargaining, Shopping, Vanity, Acceptance. They can take my vestibular system, but they can't take my nail polish!  :D

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
Apparently I need to clarify my "hit by a Mack truck" comment  ::)

I didn't mean I was in intense pain - didn't really have any pain or take any pain meds post op.

My biggest discomfort - and I'd definitely label it a discomfort - was a sore neck from having my head in a strange position for 7 1/2 hours.

I just meant I was totally disoriented, nauseaus, dizzy, seeing double, and I was tired as hell.

Kind of like I didn't know what "hit" me.

Sorry for the confusion  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
Are THOSE the five stages?  Wow.  I went through all of those.  Somehow the shopping has persisted, however.   :P
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lupy

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2009, 10:20:00 pm »
I think excessive shopping must ahve been my first symptom of AN! Hahaha! No stress about the Mack Truck comment, I just wanted to clarify the pain levels I could 'possibly' be faced with. Essentially I feel I can manage most things, as long as I have some idea what it is I am meant to be managing. Waking up to massive ammount of pain etc and not being prepared for it would have thrown me off I think - but it sounds like, from the people here and people i have spoken to who have been through this with my surgeons that this hopefully wont be the case!

However, I am worried about my neck, i have lots of back and neck 'issues' - pain, stiffness, migraines etc. My osteopath has offered to come to the hospital and give me a treatment after the operation. Apparently he has done this numerous times for brain surgery patients.  Has anyone else had surgery who has back issues?

Ice chips, thats a delicasy I havent heard of before - do they come with whiskey?

Lupy
“Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved” S. Kierkegaard

2.5cm Tumour removed 1/7/2009
Retrosigmoid @ The Royal Melbourne
Debilitating headaches/migraines from 2 weeks post surgery till current.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 05:03:15 am »

Ice chips, thats a delicasy I havent heard of before - do they come with whiskey?

No, they don't, but you won't care. They will taste like the best things in the world, trust me.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 05:10:12 am »
I'm thinking whiskey on the ice chips might have improved things just a tad. The problem with the food at the hospital was not necessarily how good it was but how bland. I'm one of those folks that believe tabasco is little more than ketchup with an attitude and sriracha sauce will improve just about anything.

..take care.. tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 05:12:56 am »
Apparently I need to clarify my "hit by a Mack truck" comment  ::)

I didn't mean I was in intense pain - didn't really have any pain or take any pain meds post op.

My biggest discomfort - and I'd definitely label it a discomfort - was a sore neck from having my head in a strange position for 7 1/2 hours.

I just meant I was totally disoriented, nauseaus, dizzy, seeing double, and I was tired as hell.

Kind of like I didn't know what "hit" me.

Sorry for the confusion  :P

Jan

Even with Jan's clarification of her "hit by a mack truck" comment, it still goes to show that there's a wide variation upon waking up in the recovery/ICU unit. My neck wasn't sore, I wasn't disoriented, nauseous, dizzy, or seeing double. I was tired, but not overwhelmingly (for me, the episodes of fatigue came later in the process). I'm certainly not trying to cast myself as some sort of medical hero -- that's just the way it was. Difference in procedures, tolerance to anesthesia, etc., etc. -- I imagine that these factors and more contribute to the range in responses. I think you can rest assured that the ICU folks have "seen it all" and will do their best to keep you comfortable.

Catherine (Jersey Girl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Lilan

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 07:47:31 am »
Waking up to massive ammount of pain

If this happens, you need a lot more drugs! Seriously. There is a lot medicine hasn't figured out but if you're in massive pain, they should have someone managing it instantly. There are a lot of discomforts and indignities, and I'm sure some pain and soreness, but post-op pain can be managed well enough and from what I gather on here, it's usually managed pretty well "in advance." I haven't seen anyone say "it was the worst pain of my life" or any really dramatic statements and in fact, I remember at least one commenter saying childbirth was worse.  ;)

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 09:33:35 am »
Lupy,

I have previously summarized the early post op experience as "the first three days don't count." What that is meant to convey is that it is quite possible to have some distressing symptoms when you first wake up, but that does not mean the surgery didn't work well. It just takes a few days to shake off all the effects of the anesthesia and the shock to your system of having been through brain surgery.

As you have no doubt already noticed, the precise details of the experience varies by patient. We look forward to hearing about yours. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

jlamborn

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »
Besides the normal pain, pressure bandage and all the other usual things everyone else has described, I thought I would add about my first two "wake-ups" directly after the surgery.  My eyes opened, the room spun, I threw up and they put me out again.  Did that one more time (not sure how much time passed) and then the third time I woke up, I could stay awake a bit and the room spinning/nausea part had completley gone.  Then they let a small herd of my family in for a few minutes just so they could see I was ok. 
13 mm AN on right side
Dr Isaacson, Dr. Madden,
UT Southwest Medical Center - Dallas, TX
Trans-lab Dec 18, 2006
BAHA implant Oct 2, 2008
BAHA activation Jan 9, 2009

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:57 am »
I'm with Jan on the neck thing.  I had some neck issues prior to the surgery and being in a strange position for hours during surgery aggravated it no end.  A heating pad and OTC meds helped tremendously.  I also had my orthopedic pillow brought from home.  That was the best solution. ;)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.