Author Topic: End of the road is near .  (Read 9690 times)

satman

End of the road is near .
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:11:17 pm »
hello everybody, when i was at PT today, my therapist told me that
i would be done with therapy at the end of the month.
looks as though i will be returning to work on nov 5th.
my walking is still rough ,as i have to use a cane,but i'm starting to walk without it.
my balance is still way off in left field,but i get by.
the dizziness is fading away day by day,and I still have facial issues, still being patient on that one.
thought i might take the month of october off work ,as
i think i deserve it .
april 9th-17 1/2 hr surgery on 8 cm AN,august 1st 8 hr cranial nerve surgery . time sure does move slow when recovering.
I'm not even going to bring up the eye issues,explicit lyrics.............................................................
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:35:08 pm by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Patch

Re: End of the road is near .
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 04:13:41 pm »
I'M GLAD THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER FOR YOU. A 8CM AN, THATS WAS PRETTY BIG. I HAVEN'T HEARD OF ONE THAT LARGE. WHAT IS THE LARGEST YOU HAVE HEARD OF.  TAKE CARE AND GOOD LUCK

MARK
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

satman

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 04:15:11 pm »
unfortunatley, 8 cm

Boppie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:04:18 pm »
Wow, this TUMAH gets a big RED STAR!

You are quite a hero!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 05:09:36 pm »
Hey John:  I remember when you were asking about the nerve grafts - I'm so glad you had the guts to get it done, & at the right time (earlier than later).  Yes, yes, yes, take another month off - I just wish you were feeling at your best for this extended vacation (I think that was the only drawback I felt about being off from work recuperating - not the time for snorkeling, hiking, etc....  ).  Well, enjoy it as much as you can - you know once you're back at work it's the 'yearly vacation' mode.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

robynabc

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 07:27:37 pm »
Hi,

So glad to know you are on the road to recovery.  Our doctor said that he did an 8 CM. THat's largest I have heard of.   That is a monster. You must have been in great shape to have it get that big without any symptoms.  THey told us that your body adjusts to it then one day it can't adjust anymore. 

The good news is they say the nerves regenerate after time.  I am thinking of you. 

18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

satman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:47:05 pm »
i had a bunch of symptoms,just ignored them.
did i ever learn my lesson!

Obita

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 08:05:03 pm »
Hello there satman!!  Been to Margaritaville lately?  I used to think of Jimmy Buffet when I heard that song.  Now, I
think of you!!

I don't know of too many people on here satman that ran to the doctor at the first sign of a "symptom".  I ignored mine, thats for sure.  Even when I had vertigo for 4 days in a row, I still figured that I had the worst flu of my life and didn't go to the dr. until the 5th day.  I think I had tinnitus for at least 4 years before that!

Hang in there satman.  Keep looking way back to see how far you have come.  I remember your posts from when you couldn't walk at all.

Kathy in Minnesota

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

satman

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:45:03 pm »
hi kathy,i try to go to margaritaville every chance i can.
in Texas they really help with the heat,the mexican food also.
i remember you too, always there for support and i also hear your a buddy of a new found friend of mine.
Dallas Cowboy special comimg on,cant ignore that !  it's Miller Time

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:22:24 pm »
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who ignored my symptoms.  It took me 3 months to get to the ENT to see what the cause of my diminished hearing was.  My first visit to the neurotologist (post MRI), he asked me how long I couldn't hear well.  When I told him 3 months I thought he'd fall over. 

Anyway, Satman, sounds like you're making progress!!! That's so incredible.  With an AN that size, I'd say you're comparable to SuperMan.

Keep up the good work and next time you're "raising the glass", have one for me  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

robynabc

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 09:37:53 pm »
HI,

My son Eric also ignored some symptoms.  But really didn't have many until the numbness on face.  Even then it took us 2 months to go to the doctor.  Even the first doc he saw said to go to the ENT but it took us a while to do that too.  He had no hearing loss at all.  If he had that I am sure we would have caught it earlier. Even when they did an MRI I didn't think an MRI was a big deal.  We were completely surprised when we got the Diagnosis.  Had no idea it was coming.

You are not the only one.

:)
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 08:37:02 am »
hi, John:

Congratulations on your slow but steady recovery. 

You really do deserve a month off (from work) that you can enjoy a bit, having gone through therapy, not to mention an 8 cm AN removal.  I thought my 4.5 was large but I feel like a pipsqueak compared to you.  That's O.K.  I willingly cede that distinction.    ;)

I also ignored symptoms, such as a steady decline in the ability to hear in one ear.  Finally; intermittent, stabbing head pain on one side, a noticeable loss of equilibrium, a pronounced lack of appetite due to diminished sense of taste (I lost 30 pounds), weakness and unaccustomed lethargy combined to motivate me enough to consult with my PCP.  After ruling out a suspected thyroid condition, he ordered an MRI scan, with contrast.  Using my lack of appetite as a clue, he suspected and was looking for a sinus problem but the MRI found the AN, instead, prompting a personal, evening call, direct from my doctor's home phone.  I was both impressed and concerned.  My PCP and the neurosurgeon I eventually selected were alarmed at it's size and placement, pushing on the brainstem to the point that my brain had been pushed as far to one side of my skull as it could go.  I underwent microsurgery (retrosigmoid) less than a month later.  Then, three months following the surgery, FSR treatments (26) to kill the remaining tumor.  So far, so good, as I note in my signature.  I was fortunate not to suffer any serious complications and am doing well, now. 

I regret that you've had a long road to full recovery but at least you can now see 'the light at the end of the tunnel', as it were.   

I wish you continued success in your recovery and an enjoyable autumn as your 'issues' steadily improve.

Be sure to try and keep us informed of your progress.

Jim

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:07:55 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeff

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 09:24:28 am »
Hi John,

Boy, can I relate to you. I had surgery April 18th and had some tough complications. It sure is a long haul, I agree. I am still going to PT and getting better.

Congratulations on hanging tough and best wishes that you continue to recover.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
You go Satman! And listen here sometime: http://www.radiomargaritaville.com/_listen/windows_hi.htm Great tunes!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

satman

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 11:23:05 am »
thanks for all the replies,all of you are a very
big part of my motivation,not a single day goes by that i dont think of you guys.
i may be getting better,but still have a very long way to go,i  just hope that
i can help the newbies get by all the fears and worries. i still have so far to go in fact, that i'm
watching my wife Sam install wood{laminate} floor,i think i need a beer,watching all the hard work.