Author Topic: surgery in 1 month , no more antidepressants, please help  (Read 3038 times)

tpeck2016

surgery in 1 month , no more antidepressants, please help
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:42 am »
I am due to have surgery at MGH in boston to remove 2.5cm acoustic neuroma. Had to be taken off antidepressants I was taking for PTSD. I find myself needing it now more than ever. Anyone else have a similar situation? I am worried this is going to make the post-op recovery that much worse.

Willbur

• I will shrink it
Re: surgery in 1 month , no more antidepressants, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »
Hello tpeck2016,

Never been diagnosed with PTSD before, although I do use marijuana to help relieve some symptoms. What is the reason you can't continue to use your antidepressants? Also, what kind of mental state are you in currently? It sounds like you really need to seek some help ASAP.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 04:28:43 pm by Willbur »
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19
1/24 - Surgery Successful
3/6 - MRI/CT Scan No Regrowth

tpeck2016

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:01 am »
Wilbur,  thanks for getting in touch.  The medicine I was taking can causes thinning of blood and is known to increase chances of complications during surgery. I also was smoking marijuana but have stopped as I am told smoking before surgery is also not good.  Did you use marijuana pre or post op? I was going to talk to my surgeon about using post-op in lieu of perscription meds.

Willbur

• I will shrink it
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 09:26:25 am »
Wilbur,  thanks for getting in touch.  The medicine I was taking can causes thinning of blood and is known to increase chances of complications during surgery. I also was smoking marijuana but have stopped as I am told smoking before surgery is also not good.  Did you use marijuana pre or post op? I was going to talk to my surgeon about using post-op in lieu of perscription meds.

I haven't gone through surgery yet. I will be coming in January. I don't smoke everyday (usually Friday/Saturday's). Sorry to hear about your situation. Would a psychologist help in the mean time while you wait for surgery?
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19

tpeck2016

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:08 am »
I have had a couple bad experience in the past with therapists. One would fall asleep during sessions. With the other I showed up for an appointment, she was not there, house was locked, didnt answer or return 3 phone calls. I have lost all faith/trust in therapists. I have found working out to be beneficial. Meeting and talking with people here helps too.

Willbur

• I will shrink it
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:26 am »
I have had a couple bad experience in the past with therapists. One would fall asleep during sessions. With the other I showed up for an appointment, she was not there, house was locked, didnt answer or return 3 phone calls. I have lost all faith/trust in therapists. I have found working out to be beneficial. Meeting and talking with people here helps too.

That's good to hear Tpeck. I also am an avid health enthusiast, while I'm a bigger guy, I always try to hit the gym as often as possible. There are always good and bad therapists out there and it sounds like you haven't had good luck. Out of curiosity how did your PTSD occur? Were you in the service?
Diagnosed@29
10/13/16 - 21x23x19
1/16/17 - 22x23x19

tpeck2016

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
willbur, no I have PTSD from something that happened to me in my younger years, something I will always live with but have found ways on my own to cope