Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 409069 times)

sterry

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1635 on: November 15, 2010, 09:27:15 pm »
I just finished the third girl yesterday, I liked them all.  Picked up my copy of Symbols that I have been carrying around for year now, today seems ok, so far.  May have to change book types after this one the last 5 have been mysteries.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well

Kaybo

« Reply #1636 on: November 16, 2010, 08:00:55 am »
Even though I liked the first two books a lot, I guess I'll wait for the 3rd to go to paperback...I am just cheap like that!!    ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1637 on: November 16, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
Frugal, Kay, frugal.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Lizard

« Reply #1638 on: November 16, 2010, 10:55:21 am »
About the 4th Girl book, I guess when he died his long time partner did not get anything from his estate and the family has completely screwed her over.  Its very sad, but I really do hope that the book will be finished!  The movie for the Swedish version of the 2nd book is now available.  I have a hard time keeping up with subtitles and usually end up with a headache, but the first movie was really good...I'm going to have to rent it...even the hubby liked the first!

Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #1639 on: November 24, 2010, 02:31:27 pm »
Kaybo, put in a request at the library. 

I feel like I'm the last one on the planet to read it, but a few weeks ago I read Eat Pray Love.  Really enjoyed her writing.  I'd like to read some of her other books. 

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #1640 on: November 24, 2010, 06:02:10 pm »
Better yet, put a Kindle or a Nook on your Christmas list.  All the ebooks are much cheaper.  I love my Nook!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1641 on: November 25, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »
Hey Donnalynn,
I am getting a Nook for Christmas.  I chose the Nook simply because I will be able to download free audiobooks from the library.  Kindle does not support ePub, which is necessary for the downloads from the library.  I know people who like the Kindle better because it is a little larger and supposedly easier to read, but free downloads is a perk as far as I am concerned! I have already downloaded the software needed from the local library because I  download  books to my mp3 player  to listen to when I walk in the afternoons.  There are websites you can go to that will compare the audiobook devices so you can make an informed decision.  I think that the Sony eReader also supports ePub.  Just type in "comparing Nook and Kindle and Sony" in a Google search.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1642 on: November 25, 2010, 07:35:37 pm »
So many choices ......  For what it is worth, I bought my husband an IPad for his birthday about six weeks ago and he loves it.  He has already read several books on it, including "Pillars of the Earth."  He likes it because he can change the lighting settings on it, it turns pages like a regular book, and he can read in bed with the bedside lights off so it does not keep me awake at all.  It has a larger screen than the Kindle or the Nook, plus it is has WiFi so he can access email, the web, etc. ..... to say nothing of the games.   ::)

Among my many idiosyncrasies, I do not like to read the newspaper or books electronically ...... something about curling up in the chair with a good book that just does not fit with an e-book for me.

Cheers.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cindyj

« Reply #1643 on: November 26, 2010, 09:01:47 am »
Got my husband a Sony Reader last year...he's not a reader, but he did actually like it and read a few books on it.  He liked that he could change the print size and was able to look up the meaning of words right there on the screen.  It didn't change him into a reader, unfortunately, though.  I did read one book on it, but I'm w/ Clarice, I like feeling the book as I'm reading :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #1644 on: November 26, 2010, 01:26:04 pm »
I totally agree w/the rest of you about feeling the heft of a book and having it smell like a book!  I requested the Nook because I usually take at least 5 books with me when we travel, and I am trying to streamline things a bit!  The size of an eReader is the appeal, not the concept :).  Wish I could afford the iPad, Clarice! 
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1645 on: November 26, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »
Priscilla ....

Yes, the IPad is still a bit pricey but we kind of looked at it as a mini-computer because it has features for both a computer and a reader.  With Kindles, Nooks, Sony Readers, now making a marketing push, I'll bet Apple reduces the price of IPads in the near future.

Just glad everyone is reading, no matter how!!

When our children were small, we lived about a 20 minute drive from church and shopping, as well as the closest decent-sized library.  I made book bags for each child and whenever we went "to town" they grabbed their bags and read on the ride to and from town.  Every two weeks we went to the library and exchanged their books for new ones.  To this day, they are all avid readers.  Now the grandchildren are "book worms" as well.  Our oldest granddaughter will be 6 years old in a couple of weeks and she basically can read anything she sees, including many chapter books already ..... strictly the result of environmental influence.  It makes me sad to hear children say "I don't like to read."  When I was still teaching (junior high), I was constantly amazed at the number of children who balked at reading assignments.  But, I digress .......

Happy reading, everyone!  It is going to be harder to do in the next month.   :(

Clarice

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1646 on: November 26, 2010, 08:12:51 pm »
I just bought 3 Kindles for my MIL to give to my eldest daughter and two nieces. My daughter is going to Vietnam on a service trip next year and she wanted to be able to download books while there. We looked at the Nook, but it does not have international access. I have asked for an iPad for Christmas, don't know if I will get it or not, but there is a Kindle application for it. I have it on my iPod, but its screen is way too small for reading.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1647 on: November 26, 2010, 08:37:38 pm »
Sara .....  Yes, the IPad has the Kindle App and it works just as well as the Ibooks, although there do not seem to be nearly as many "free" books for the Kindle as there are Ibooks.  Many of the classics are available free for the IPad.

Well, we'll just see who has been naughty or nice this Christmas .....   :-*  Hope, hope, hope .....

Clarice

Kaybo

« Reply #1648 on: November 26, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »
Sometimes I wish I were NAUGHTY but I think I am probably NICE!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1649 on: November 26, 2010, 08:58:24 pm »
our CARBO Reading Teacher is trying to get me hooked on a kindle or nook... ... but I am among those who like the touch and smell of a book ...

read Call of The Wild today so I can help 11 year old with making shadow boxes for 3 scenes from the book ... due Tuesday ... had been several years since I read it and had to refresh memory ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery