Author Topic: cosmetic surgery  (Read 2828 times)

pattibobatti

cosmetic surgery
« on: August 26, 2006, 08:07:16 am »
I had a rotten day yesterday-My insurance co. callled me and said the face lift part of my re-animation surgery is considered cosmetic and they will not cover it....

I am  very upset about this.  I said,'If you saw me, you wouldn't think so'..  They wiill cover surgery to help me smile but won't cover a surgery to lift back up the side that fell down.....

If anyone has dealt with this please let me know...

Pattibobatti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

tony

Re: cosmetic surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 08:35:39 am »
I understand your frustrations
I cannot comment about the exact insurance position in US
- so you will need to seek further advice
In my case the "smile" restore and the facelift was done
as ONE surgery not two - so in that case maybe I would
have been covered ?
So to confirm - seek further advice here and
Two - dont rush your surgical options, take advice
from two or three sources
I know its tempting to want it fixed, and NOW !
but this really is a spend in haste - and repent in leisure
situation - you dont want to be here in a yrs time
discussing your 4th or 5th rebuild attempt (?)
There are many ways to fix this one
Best regards
Tony

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 08:38:26 pm »
Pattbobatti,

I love that name!!!!  Have your doctors and it has to be more than one write to your insurance company for a review of their policies.  Repairing a fallen side of the face is not cosmetic is is called quality of life and we all have enough problems with have an insurance company jerks us around.  It worked for a friend of mine.  The doctors have to insist that your quality of life is suffering because of facial disfiguration.  If my droop hald smile doesn't perk up I 'm going in for a younger model!
Hugs,
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 07:54:57 am »
pattybobatty: Maybe the doctor could word it differently by calling it something that is covered. I had all of my surgeries covered by OHIP here in Canada, none of them were comsidered "cosmetic" (now I realise our health care system is different).
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:34 am »
Pattibobatti--never, ever believe or take the word of the first reply you get from your insurance co.  After I got certified at HEI for my AN surgery and had the actual surgery--a month later I recieved word that they would not cover the bill of  Dr. Hits, the surgeon who did the "scoopin" (as opposed to the fellow who did the "openin") because according to them, more than one surgeon was not required to do the surgery.  Remember, this is AFTER the fact and after geiing certified to have the surgery there at all. Dr. Hit's bill was $14,000 and they weren't going to pay it.  >:( One call to Dr. Hit's office was all it took. His office sent a scathing letter to my insurance comapny and they paid 100%. Then they billed me for out-of network--the whole thing.  House is most certainly in my network (BCBS) That took another 2 months to clear up as did another $600 work of billing boo-boos, all BCBS mistakes.  As wonkyheaded as I was I went over every itemized bill with  fine toothed comb.  You need your doc or even a counsellor to advocate for you! I'm lucky enough to have found a BCBS adjuster who I called over and over again--getting the same person on the line everytime you have a question or issue who knows your case is beneficial as well.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW