Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421396 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #555 on: November 14, 2010, 05:41:14 pm »
Soundy I hope you feel better soon. Hope that "shot of something" helps.

Regarding the poacher, I believe you can ask the police or sheriff to remove the deer stand from your property, then the person who put it there can go to the station to claim it . . . and answer to trespassing.

And, I think your apple pie sounds pretty wonderful.

Take care,
Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #556 on: November 14, 2010, 09:22:24 pm »
WOW!!!  :o

That Jill is a tough one!  Run, Kaybo, run  ;)  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #557 on: November 14, 2010, 09:52:11 pm »
shot ended up just being Tylenol ...scrubbed shower and waxed it with car wax ... have had a change in water and getting alot of lime build up that has to be scrubbed more than I want to scrub ...thinking that the wax keeps tree sap from sticking to my truck and may help with shower ... I did use that lest brain cell to decide not to wax the floor of shower ... :)

my shoulder is stiff... I think I bruised it falling and scrubbing didn't help  ...ankle back to just the usual ache so don't think I really did any more damage to it than was already done ... thank goodness for soft bed of leaves that I twisted it in ...hard ground would have been worse ...gonna walk at school in the morning ... see how it feels and then walk more if it is OK... want to build up to December walk ... I think it is the 18th ... same route as last time just walked twice ...

today made me I think I can safely return to walking the woods solo ... the walking down hill issues is what has held me back ... would take trusty stick and cell phone ... didn't have either today but had loving family along  to poke me with sticks when I did fall  >:( ... I have tested the cell phone all over back there and know where I can go and have a signal ... sad that something I used to just do for the simple enjoyment of it with no planning other than grabbing a bottle of water on way out the door ,  now has to be planned and staged ...in the good old days I might  stick note on TV or fridge (first 2 places my family would see a note ) saying I left at 2:00 and went to back pond ... or back field or top of far ridge or down in Dan's hollow ...I may be back there for a couple hours so it isn't like anyone would have came in at 4 and said gee we better go look for mom ... now with my tumblebility and wonky head where I might really get in trouble,  if I am not where they think I should be at any given time , my cell starts ringing... not that falling alone in the woods would have been good pre-surgery ... we have some places you can fall 20 feet or more before hittining ground  then roll another 40 before stopping   ... would avoid ridges with drops and very step areas ... stick mainly to roads and wear bright colored clothes so search helicopters can spot me from the air :) ... I just can't get my head wrapped around walking up and down the road ... it is boring and cars coming around bends in road sneaking up on me scare me more than snakes , coyotes and the bull ... those I can handle ... I sometimes hear a car coming and I guess it is part my hearing and part the way sound travels though the hollows , I can't tell where they  are coming from and have had more than one come closer to me than I like big chunks of steel coming at me ...

sheriff department and wildlife department don't want to bounce through the woods to get to where the stand is...it is maybe half a mile back as crow flies but closer to two miles by the way the road winds back and forth through hollow and over the hills ... luckily not a place we go to often on property ...even the cows are smart enough to avoid it 99% of the time  ... I was told that we had the right to take it down and dispose of it as we saw fit ... they would follow up if we learned who placed it ...they had to come across one of two adjoining properties to get it where it is ... maybe a letter from one or the other stapled to the tree to come by the jail and pick it up if they wanted it back and take it down ourselves ... I think they had to have tree spikes or another ladder to get it up and chained in place ..

let's go try out new improved slippery shower then tuck in for the night ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Kaybo

« Reply #558 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:29 pm »
I even shaved my legs this morning so I wouldn't have that excuse in the morning...hold me to it, I am going tomorrow!!  YIKES!!  Not at 5:15 like I used to tho - after I get the girlies to school and Addi doesn't go early tomorrow because it is game day!  I will go...I will go...

I am also planning on starting Weight Watchers again...anyone want to join me?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #559 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »
Kay,  I know you will, I know you will!  Looking forward to hearing how the first day went.  If you don't make it don't try and say you did because, I WILL KNOW!  Later, Jill ;D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #560 on: November 15, 2010, 10:21:30 am »
I DID IT!!  I WENT TO THE FITNESS CENTER HERE!  I sucked eggs and am SO out of shape but I went.  Here I used to do the elliptical for at least 45 minutes or the ARC and burn 700-800 calories and I couldn't even stay on for 10 minutes!  After that I did the bike for 20 minutes.  All in all, I burned less than 200 calories.  Very frustrated that I have let myself go so, but made me realize I need to get my booty in gear!!
Thanks for the encouragement!

K   ;D

PS - Jill, you don't have to come beat me, but you are welcome here anytime!!   ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #561 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:03 pm »
Jan - Hope your still on track with your running.  Yes, it does improve the attitude, that's why I like the fact that the gym is on my way home, if I've had a bad day at work I'm tempted to just go home but as I see the club approach I remind myself that I usually feel better about things after working out, or I'm to tired to care.

Sara - Glad to hear that the challenge is going so well that you plan on continuing.  Right now I'm only doing cardio, was planning on adding some weights soon, perhaps I will try the alternate days like you do instead of doing both in one day. 

Patrick - Good to hear you are training for a marathon, that's something I know I will never do and am impressed by people that can train that much to do one.  With all that training how do you find time for other things, kind of the opposite of what Jan said about finding and making time to workout.

Cindy - You will have plenty of time to try out the bike after the marathon, would hate to see you try the bike and have problems that would keep you from training for the marathon.  Still jealous that you are still dancing, hope you had fun

Capt. Deb - Sure glad to hear you got to walk with no pain for a change, hope going all out and taking advantage of the no pain didn't cause you to much pain later, if it did I bet it was worth it.  I hope your latest treatments make it possible for you to join the "In Shape Club" soon, we would love to have you help us keep motivated.

Soundy - Congratulations on making it down the hill on your own.  I enjoyed reading your story, except the part where you got hurt.  I get a pretty good picture of what and where you are which makes the story fun to read. 

I think I will get some exercise in the kitchen the next few days, got pumpkin pie's and pumpkin bread to make, lots of upper body workouts!  ;)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #562 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:05 am »
WHAT ABOUT ME????   ???   ???

K   ???
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Seal

« Reply #563 on: November 17, 2010, 06:29:12 am »
Hi All !

Just thought I would check in to see what all the AN super athletes are doing these days.    Good to hear that everyone is keeping moving.    I have to recommit to daily workouts now that the time change (and darkness) is keeping me off the bike at 5:30AM.     All my riding buddies are struggling too with the reduced daylight while we all try to get in whatever workouts the weeks will allow.     A long ride on the weekends helps, but nothing replaces daily workouts.    Plus it really does help reduce stress and any headaches that come along from time to time.   All the posts have got me motivated to get serious again.......before the holiday meals do me in!!!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Jill Marie

« Reply #564 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:28 pm »
Kay -  As you well know I know how to yell in a post but I don't know how to quietly post I'm sorry, if I make the letters any smaller you won't be able to see them.  I don't know what happened to what I wrote to you.  The main reason I posted was to congratulate you on getting to the gym, honest I did!  Now I'm trying to remember what I said!

Getting going is the hardest part, it seems that once you start you get hooked on going again.  Therefore, you've accomplished the hardest part, I know that things happen that you can't control that will keep you a way for a day but don't let that keep you from going after that.  Before you know it you will be back burning the 700 calories.  As I have told my kids, 3 months or 6 months from now the time will have passed, where do you want to be when that time comes?  Don't think of it as something you have to do, think of it as something you want to do because it makes you FEEL BETTER!  Jill :-[

Congratulations Kay, Congratulations Kay, Congratulations Kay,  Congratulations Kay, Congratulations Kay!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 10:18:39 pm by Jill Marie »

Kaybo

« Reply #565 on: November 18, 2010, 06:59:40 am »
I t's OK...I must say that I haven't been able to go back yet.  Two things: even though we can use the "fitness center" with our HOA dues, there is a new gym open here that has really good specials - we talked about trying that b/c they aren't busy so it is like you have a personal trainer!  I am going to go check it out.   AND SICKNESS HAS HIT OUR HOUSE HARD.  I haven't been "sick" but just haven't felt good the last couple of days and then took Emee to Dr yesterday = STREP.  Now Addi got sick last night around 11:30 (today is her 13th birthday! - so sad for her) - figure it is strep as well...fun times at our house!!

K   :-[
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #566 on: November 18, 2010, 09:54:41 am »
Kaybo--so glad you are getting your cute little fanny to the gym!!  My plan is to finish my lumbar nerve ablation before I rejoin because I will probably be out of commission for a short while afterward.  I really need to ease back into being active, because I have a tendency to go all out on stuff and over-do it (Hey, you met me, right?) My wellness Center has made a huge profit on me paying for membership for a month and then doing myself in and not being able to come back.

My true wish is that Dr Love will join me at the gym--he's having a little health scare right now with having pre-diabetic symptoms and high cholesterol--he's one of those men who won't see a doctor unless they are bleeding profusely or unconscious.  He thinks chopping wood and building stone walls all over the place will keep him in shape, but all it does is wreck his back and he's a couch potato in the winter.

I love this thread--it is so inspiring to see all you reclaim your lives and health after going through one of the worse things anyone can go through.

Capt Deb
(my "workout turkey")
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jill Marie

« Reply #567 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:49 pm »
Kay - What a BUMMER for you and your daughter's.  I know that as soon as the girl's feel better and you too, you will be hitting the gym.  Good idea to try out the gym that isn't as busy, especially if they can give you some extra guidance.  So sorry to hear that Addi is sick on her birthday, that's really got to be hard on her & you.  Hopefully she can do something extra special when she feels better.

Capt. Deb - Looking forward to having you join us and hoping that Dr. Love will join you at the gym, it will be good for both of you and it always seems a bit easier to get there when you have someone with you.  Let us know the minute you are ready to work out so we can talk you out of doing to much the first time out, we want you to do a little bit every day and work up to a regular routine, NOT doing a lot the first day and then out for the count.  Just remember, it's "steady as she goes." Jill
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:19:35 pm by Jill Marie »

Keri

« Reply #568 on: November 20, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »
hi everyone,
so good to see what you all are up to. i haven't had much time lately to do anything so haven't been on here. i have been running. finished a marathon last weekend. took me all day... well, 5:17. that's more than i sleep sometimes. glad i finished - it was a nice course (richmond, va). very pretty by the james river.
i want to respond to you all more specifically soon.
proud of you all!!!!
i should go walk my dog or something now for a little exercise in the cool night air.

see you back here soon.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #569 on: November 21, 2010, 07:32:07 am »
Keri, good to hear from you. Congrats on finishing another marathon.... Way to go! You are still inspiring me. I'm getting ready to head out on a 17 mile training run (which will be pretty slow since it's already 70 degrees and humid this morning here). I like running much better in the 40's and 50's.

Good luck to everyone in your respective activities and be safe.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.