Author Topic: old  (Read 28938 times)

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
Re: old
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2006, 04:59:48 pm »
Wow,

My wife and i saw a show on tele on Sunday night that picks a year and shows the highlights of what happenned. This week was 1969. man on the moon, etc but most of the show was taken up with - Led Zeppelins first albumn (Taylor, they were vinyl records back then) Woodstock - Woodstock. I remember at the time watching this on tele and the memories flooded back. What a great era we experienced. the 60's and early 70's were just so fantastic.

For those of you too young to have lived through it, it was really like about 5 years of "hey man". Students in particular breaking out of the post war rigidness of society and bucking the system with peace rallies, free speech (that has always been around but it got better, like the language became a little more, shall i say, colourful). Oh, and the best of all slogans "make love not war". A lot of people took that litterally - well those that could remember after all that wacky weed going around especially in the carribean.

I saw a documentary on Bob Marley on 60 minutes once. The whole take seemed to be filmed in fog!!! I don't think he put more than one word together that wasn't slurred.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRR where's the time machine, I want to go back to 1969!

Laz 

I digress, oh to relive that era - no cell phones, no ipods, my first real stereo system. A valve amp (laughters anything made today. Turntable where the biggest decision to make was the type of stylus (needle) used. The pundits today still reckon the sound of a top "old based system" is better and clearer than the digital of today. i wouldn't know now unfortunately. no pressure, lots a work for everyone, beer was cheap and petrol (gas) was virtually free, lots a long hair, peace chains dangling off everyone's necks, ah, those were the days.
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Obita

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2006, 05:35:52 pm »
I remember it well.  Gas was 25 cents a gallon and beer was 3 cases for $6.50 with 3 cases of returned bottles.

Yes youngins, you had to bring your bottles back.  Same with soda.........

And one of the best:  "You can't always get what you want" - The Rolling Stones

Ahhhhh the memories.  Kathy

ps:  I ran out of washer fluid the other day and was filling up out in the parking lot.  I mentioned to one of my young co-workers that this beats throwing snow on the windshield like when I was young.  She said:  WHAAAATTTTTTTTTT??????  Are you kidding???????  So I told her that when we were kids my siblings and I would take turns when my dad pulled over scooping snow with our mittens and smearing it on the windshield. TRUE STORY from Minnesota. 
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2006, 05:56:50 pm »
Didn't dear ole Bob Marley die from a brain tumor? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much ganga mon..........

So much for any purported anti tumescent properies for "Cannabis".

Scallywog Pauiliwog
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2006, 05:57:57 pm »
Ah yes.....1969--the year I graduated from high school and lost my......welll,  anyway--I was part of the peacenik movement and went to college in Ohio when Kent state happened. I went to jail for protesting in Washington DC in 1971--me and 11,000 other hippies! Ah yes those were the days!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2006, 05:59:29 pm »
Anti-tumescent? Does Bob Marley have about a couple dozen kids?

Captain Flower Child 8)

Crazycat

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2006, 06:01:35 pm »
Hey, I saw gas at a Pilot Station in Virginia last week for $1.97!  That's the lowest I've seen in recent memory.

Ã‚   Paul......(wag the wog)
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2006, 06:17:27 pm »
Well, let's see. In the late 1960's I was living in Hawaii.  I got to see a Simon and Garfunkle concert. They were pretty cool.  And I went with my folks who were also there for a while, to see Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass.  And then I got to see Peter, Paul and Mary at the outdoor theater in Wakiki, the Waikiki Shell? maybe.  And then, miracles of miracles, I got to see The 5th Dimension. In fact I've seen them about 3 times.  In fact, one of their hits in the summer of 1970 was "The Wedding Bell Blues", and my boyfriend was Bill, and we married in September of that year, so that's "our song".  Can I rock or what? ;D   ;)  AND, once in the 3rd show in Waikiki, a bunch of girls (me included) got to go on stage with TOMMY SANDS! Eeeeek.  He was Nancy Sinatra's first husband.  Awww, he was cute.   My last concert was (now don't laugh - it ain't polite!) CHER.  Hey it was a good concert. But my head was a ringing, and I need to find that earplug you guys are talking about before I go to any other shindig.  I actually prefer musical theater.  Would rather go see "Hairspray" or "Abba" or one of those than rock out at the concert.  The last theater production we saw was The Lion King. Wow....it was wonderful.  Ear ringing and all, it was a great experience. 

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Crazycat

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2006, 06:25:42 pm »
Kent State? That incident occurred on May 1, 1970. Or was it May 10? James Mitchner wrote a book about it. Were you at Kent State Deb? I was 13 then, getting into Grand Funk and Chicago Transit Authority before they transformed into the gay, L.A. schmaltz machine they've become in recent years. Remember that song "Little Green Bag" by the George Baker Selection? Or "I love You More Today Than Yesterday" by Spiral Staircase. "Treat Her Like a Lady' by Cornielius Brothers and Sister Rose. Back then, pop tunes were extremely well-crafted tunes most often performed by highly skilled studio musicians that you never even heard about behind the scenes. Remember the original studio version of Jesus Christ Superstar? That record was #1 for well over a year in 1970.

Great tunes. I loved listening to the radio back then.

Ã‚      Paul

Crazycat

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2006, 06:35:38 pm »
Wow Sue!!

"I love you Bill......I always will"...who was that.... Laura Nero? Or was it Joan Baez? That's definitely a cool concertography! I used to love Tijuana Brass! Whipped Cream and Other Delights and The Lonely Bull. Remember Sergio Mendes and Brazill 66? That was so hot!! My father bought that record for me when it came out in 1966. I still love it!! You know Herb Alpert from Tijuana Brass married the lead singer from that band as well as recorded and produced that Brazil 66 album. I think it may have been the first release on the record label he started: A&M Records.

Paul

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2006, 06:38:46 pm »
 Ã‚ Ah yes, I graduated in 1969 as well.  I had been listening to the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Stepenwolf (playing Born to be Wild in a an old red Cadillac ambulance all the way to the beach)-- and went to my first concert, Hendrix in Baltimore MD-- wow, look at all these freaks- no concert since has matched the energy Hendrix radiated through the crowd.  Had a ride to Woodstock, but decided not to go.  Actually, after hearing about how crowded it was, and lack of food or shelter,  I was glad we didn't go.
 Ã‚ It was also a summer of choices, let's see, I can go to the college of Viet Nam, or I can go to college and get a draft deferment.
 Ã‚ Taylor, as you can see we all remember well the excitment of being 18.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2006, 07:06:39 pm »
Crazywag--
Kent Stae was May 4 1970--one of the murdered students was the boyfriend of a girl in my dorm.  A rough time to be in college when kids my age were being drafted.
Capt Deb :-[

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2006, 07:11:53 pm »
I was a total Crosby Stills Nash Young fan at the time--1969-70. Remember "Suite Judy Blue Eyes?"I went to see them in Atlanta about 3 months before I was diagnosed in 02--(2002 not 1902) they were absolutely incredible and my last "stereophonic" concert. Also listened to the Tommy album till it worre out!!!I saw Emmylou Harris on Saturday night--she was great as usual and looks gorgeous with her long white hair!!!!
Capt Deb 8)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2006, 09:01:34 pm »
When I was 18, a senior at Roseburg High School, the President of the United States had been gunned down the previous November, I had a mad crush on a boy who FINALLY asked me to the prom and his dad had to drive us because he was a year younger than me and didn't have his license yet, I guess.  I wore this beautiful long white cotten eyelet dress, with speghetti straps and long white gloves as was befitting a girl who was president of the Library Club.  Shows you the "wild crowd" I ran with!  ;) My hair was done in a "double bubble" and I was stunning!  :D  We went to the high school gym, transformed into that year's theme of "Evening in Paris" and we did the twist!  Then off to college in Sept.  Then, of course, girls were in their own dorms and boys were in their own dorms, and the boys could come and go whenever they wanted, but the girls had a strict curfew and woe unto them who didn't get to the dorm before the drawbridge was raised and the gates were locked!  I was called in to the D Board, (discipline board) at my dorm because a girl turned me in (Carol Simpson, where are you???) because on an early Sunday morning a guy was picking me up to go up to the mountain and check out the ski area, and it was cold outside and I didn't want to wait outside. So I tiptoed into the "living room" area of the dorm to look out the window. And I was wearing pants!!  The horror!  Taylor, if you are reading this...that's what it was like then. Lots of rules.  I had some small pennance to pay for wearing pants to walk across that room to look out the window on a Sunday morning with nobody around.  Sounds very Osama Bin Laden kind of thing now, doesn't it?  The Beattles were hot, Joan Baez was hot, folk music was big time stuff, the Rolling Stones were the bad boys of rock and roll. At least I thought they were.  It was a time that would soon change.  These were the last innocent days of America.  The US was beginning it's long involvement with Viet Nam.  It was just all getting started.  All the problems of the late 1960's was about to explode on the scene.  And that's 1960's 101 for now Taylor!!

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2006, 09:09:25 pm »
Captain Flower power, what did you lose in 1969? the sentence cut out!

Grand Funk Railroad - wow, memories. Gee, ya have to be careful pronouncing that name after one too many rums! Now that was a band - absolutely no complications in their music - 1 chord stuff, loud and very loud. Still got one of their vynil albums as my rather valuable bootleg Fleetwood mac where the label on the record is different to the songs and the cover is deifferent again. The actual quality is awful but hey, it's accruing $ every day.

'twas certainly a great time.

Hey Taylor, looks like there are a few beetlejuices amongst us, we are just a bit slower now. (dunno why I put beetlejuices but it sounded good)

Eric Clapton is playing in Sydney in jan and feb - 3 concerts - all booked out except for a few seats at nose bleed height. Might have to wait for the next one.

We did have John foggerty (Credence) here a few years ago. he was fantastic. Also saw the beach boys about 5 years ago - they should have stayed home I think!

Sounds like there is still some action in these battle worn heads of ours - ringing and tinnitus aside, ya gotta make the best of it I reckon.

Laz

2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

matti

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2006, 09:51:22 pm »
I am buying the Ion ITTUSB turntable for my hubby's Christmas present. We have a ton of albums and this will allow him to convert them to cd or MP3 from his computer.

While I am a classic rock fan, I did stray to the dark side (disco) in the late sevenites when a new hottie named John Travolta danced into my heart.  Great memories under the disco ball ;D 

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50