Author Topic: Rejected!  (Read 4885 times)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Rejected!
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:44 pm »
I know what you mean Cheryl.

It's one thing for a person who is stricken with an A.N. to already be well along in a career and firmly employed in a situation with all the necessary benefits as many people participating in this forum can attest to. After a necessary recuperation period that can vary from person to person, it really isn't that difficult to pick-up where one had left off—providing that the job doesn't entail climbing ladders and hanging off of scaffolding from dizzying heights.

In my case, I was back playing music as soon as I was back on my feet again regardless of being half-deaf and left-side impaired. I could still play and play well, better than most or even all of my peers on the circuit I'm on. Why? Because I'm good at it and I've been doing it all my life. It's what I do. It's not much and it certainly isn't getting easier as I get older but I can do it by virtue of having done it for so long. It's like forgetting to know how to ride a bicycle.

What's killing me is that I cannot work in music as I had for so long due to a number of reasons and especially, due to the fact that I have only one ear left and the hearing in that ear is starting to fade. By continuing to put my self in hazardous, noisy situations, I'm really only pushing my luck. What's more, the work isn't even there like it used to be.  

Try, however, putting everything on hold and learning a new career in this condition (impaired) in a highly competitive and limited marketplace for jobs while also being over the age of fifty. Not gonna happen.

It is however, an entirely different situation for those of us who were not already employed in a decent situation, but are somewhat out-of-step with the working world as well as over the age of fifty—and in the worst recession economy since the crash of '29. Not only are we expected to dutifully jump through these hoops and navigate through what is an almost impossible obstacle course (for almost anyone) of finding a job with a decent wage, but we're expected to find one that will avail us the necessary medical insurance that will allow coverage for a "preexisting condition".

Another thing that amazes me: I must know about ten different people who are receiving SSDI or SSI benefits that outwardly, have nothing wrong with them. I'll ask on occasion, "What's wrong with you?" Nine out of ten will reply, "I'm depressed". I'm like, "Huh??" Then there are some who are receiving benefits because of substance abuse problems. Fascinating.

We, on the other hand, have major league brain surgery with accompanying nerve damage and a host of weird difficulties that go along with it and we're considered good to go even over the age of fifty. I know a guy that has been receiving SSDI for years because he can't lift one of his arms over his head.

Keep trying and keep that claim open because if and when you get approved, you'll be paid all the money that has accrued from the date you opened it. Good luck.

Paul
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:50:38 pm by Crazycat »
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

lori67

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 06:55:37 pm »
So, Cheryl, what's wrong with just finding a new job in a different field in a place that doesn't snow, or rain, or get windy and just letting them know you can only work on days you don't have wonky head or a headache or some balance issues?  I'm sure those jobs exist everywhere, right?  ???  (You do know I'm only kidding, right?).

I don't know a lot about how the "system" works, but I have heard that you need to jump through hoops sometimes.  Get that appeal going and hopefully it won't take them too long to come to their senses.  Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 07:48:25 pm »
It's amazing that people with real needs seem to have such a difficult time and people scamming the system do so with ease. Good luck in your quest.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cin605

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 12:35:08 pm »
cheryl..did you get my pm??
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Cheryl R

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 12:41:32 pm »
I see i did and will answer you back.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cin605

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 01:04:12 pm »
ok..thanks!
43yrs old

wendysig

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »
So, Cheryl, what's wrong with just finding a new job in a different field in a place that doesn't snow, or rain, or get windy and just letting them know you can only work on days you don't have wonky head or a headache or some balance issues?  I'm sure those jobs exist everywhere, right?  ???  (You do know I'm only kidding, right?).

I don't know a lot about how the "system" works, but I have heard that you need to jump through hoops sometimes.  Get that appeal going and hopefully it won't take them too long to come to their senses.  Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for y

I don't get headaches but do you think I can get a job like this too?  (I knew you were kidding and so am I).  Social Security does like to make you jumb through hoops.  One of my brothers was disabled and had a very hard time getting money out of them.  When he finally did, they gave him as little (I don't remember how much it was and he has since passed away) as they could.  Not enough to live on though.  We (my other brothers and sisters) ended up subsidizing his income to make him comfortable.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Cheryl R

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 05:11:04 pm »
I thought I should add for a good laugh that I wrote subject as rejected because I couldn't remember the word denial!    It came to me the next day.       Maybe I can tell them that when appeal.     
Lori, I would love how you describe the perfect job.         Would gladly accept if you are handing one out.           Only can delete the headaches and add tiredness when been too active.   Do jobs let you take naps?              I don't everyday.
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 12:59:51 pm »
Sorry that you got denied, but as a few others have said, everyone gets denied the first time around unless you are comatose.  A lawyer for disability will cost you nothing unless you win and then it is 25% of your initial payment or $4900, whichever is less. He will charge you a small fee for acquiring all your medical records.  I believe that is by federal law.  Good luck!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cin605

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 02:57:51 pm »
Cheryl,
Hope things are moving forward for you.
43yrs old