Author Topic: Complexion .......  (Read 3062 times)

Denisex2boys

Complexion .......
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:49:06 am »
.... what would a week be with an inquiry from me?  I almost feel silly complaining when there are so many more in a worse place ..... here is an update and my question of the week .........

7 weeks out:
- by FAR my eye is the most annoying complication thus far ..... the ONLY eye lube that seems to work is the lacrilube - - which I hate, hate, HATE using since as you all know blurs the vision - - I am finding myself 'holding' my eye shut .......  I have tried 2 day drops - - the GenTeal and the Sandoz - - they do not nip the pain in the bud - - it feels as though there is an eyelash or sand in my eye - - and the lacrilube is the only one that seems to work and take this feeling away :(  I can blink but my AN eye looks much bigger and looks more 'frozen' In the cold yesterday when I went for my walk - I could hardly even shut my eye ????

- Balance outside getting better - cannot walk the 'tightrope' yet though - I am not having formal physio - but was told by a Physiotherapist to do the rehab exercises outside - - it has been brutally cold but I am getting out every day, still wonky head and some headaches (but these are under control now).

- SSD still on left - - but seem to hear 'noise' - nothing that I can make out though.

- Numb head, sore scar, some sore spots on face - going for weekly body and cross-friction massage.

- tip of tongue, side of tongue and throat still feel burnt/tingly and metalic tasting

OK - - here is my silly question of the week for any beauty experts ..... I know that the amount of anaesthesia is huge - - but does this negatively affect complexion and breakouts?  It seems since the surgery I have these small bumps on my forehead (a rather large patch of them) - - at first I thought they were pimples (and they may be small ones) - but I have never had a breakout on the forehead before - - and they are small and do not hurt - and I have not changed my cleaning/moisturizer regime at all.
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Complexion .......
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:18:36 am »
it feels as though there is an eyelash or sand in my eye - - and the lacrilube is the only one that seems to work and take this feeling away

I agree completly.... and I bet there is a eye lash in there!!! I still take them out!! without good blink they never seem to remove themselves...... I have taken zillions of eye lashes out of my AN eye ... take a close look . (for me I have to get inches away from the mirror before I can see it without my glasses) Once it is gone ... I feel like I have just removed a brick ... its much better....

note: for years I worn contacts... so it find it no problem to touch my eye... to remove a lash, I just touch it... most of the time, it just sticks to my finger...  there is no need to pinch it out....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:46:31 am »
Hi there Denise:  I remember having huge clumps of hair come out (I had an 8 hour surgery, then a 10 hour surgery 15 months later).  I believe this was caused by the anesthesia;  but also, I believe the stress we are under for awhile adds to the complexion problems.
I personally drink lots of water (esp. due to the constant dry mouth), & I try to eat lots of antioxidant rich foods.
Joef:  I'm surprised you can get out an eyelash with the tip of your finger.  I have to use a cutip & put lubricant on it to get the eyelash out (1wareagle told me that !), it sticks so bad !  & yes Denise,  the eye issues don't seem to go away quick enough !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

kmancini

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:56:01 pm »
I had surgery 4-8-08 I still have burnt tongue and salty taste in my mouth all the time.  Balance still not good.  My complextion was bad after each of my 5 surgeries.  It took a few weeks to go back to normal.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:08:09 pm »
Hey Denise-

I constantly search my eye for stray lashes, but usually don't find anything.  When my eye gets scratchy, it means that it is time for drops or goo, at least in my case.

Have you tried the Refresh Celluvisc Sensitive drops?  They are the only drops that work for me.  They are very thick and will impede your vision a little, but nowhere near as much as the lacriblube. I, too, tried GenTeal and several other brands but found that none of them were thick enough.  Like you, I hated having the thick goo in my eyes during the day because I felt I was essentially blind in one eye (yea, because being deaf in one ear isn't enough!)

My tongue is still pretty numb on one side - kind of feels like after you've had a shot of Novocain.  However, the metallic taste went away and most foods taste fine to me. 

I also have/had the weird sore spots on my head and face.  I woudl suggest that you keep track of that and talk to your neuro team about it next time you meet with them.  It may be nothing, but better to be safe.

Hang in there, Denise - it really does get better, I promise!

Debbi
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:50:08 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »
Denise,

In answer to your "silly" question - after my 7-12 surgery, I had the mysterious little bumps on my forehead and also right in front of my ear on the AN side.  I never did figure out exactly what it was from, but it's the same sort of rash I wind up with if they use that plastic tape to hold the cotton ball on your arm after they draw blood or when you donate blood. I think it's the adhesive on the tape that bothers me.

When I was talking to my surgeon about something else, he mentioned that they put a clear plastic thing over your face during the surgery so they can see how your facial nerve is responding.  If you've ever gotten stitches, they cover the area with the blue sterile drape and just cut a hole where they stitches will be going - it's similar to that, but it's clear.  I sort of picture it like that press-n-seal stuff - with adhesive along the edges.  I think that's what mine was from - just my theory, since I couldn't come up with a better one.   :D

I hope this and the other AN annoyances clear up for you soon!

Lori (not a beauty expert...)

At any rate, it went away.  I just stuck with my usual cleaning/moisturizing routine and eventually it cleared up.  It did take a few weeks though.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

elderbirds

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
Hi Denise,
I commiserate with you about the eye.  It is by far the most annoying.  Drinking a lot fluid does help.  My eye also gets tired easily (faster than the rest of me).  As far as they skin issue, I had really bad break outs after my surgery, I came to the conclusion it was a combination of things.  Yes, the anesthesia can do it to you, also, the steroids can make you break out, and for me I stopped taking "the pill" before surgery and remembered after the breakouts, that one of the reasons I was on "the Pill" was for acne.  Once the anesthesia and steroids were out of my system and I was back on the pill, my skin returned to it;s presurgical state.  Hope it helps.
hope

mrgarlic

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:38:45 pm »
Greetings Denise, From my 2004 AN surgery, I went from the night time goop to "Refresh Liquigel" It has been in my pocket for three years but use it less and less. My first year I taped my eye shut every night and used the tube lube with it. A kinda funny thing happened as a result of the tape. My AN eyebrow now has a lot of grey hair. For a guy, we like to show off things like that :)  :)      Just keep on going, one step at a time and above all, find some humor.
                                   ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Ps  Costco has the best price on the "Refresh Liquigel

I am not the person I used to be,
 I am becoming the pereson I am.

AN surgery 2004- Trigeminal Neuroma  surgery scheduled    Nov 2oth 2008