Author Topic: New here, surgery scheduled  (Read 5757 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
New here, surgery scheduled
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:29:36 pm »
Although I've been doing a lot of reading, this is my first post. This is such an informative source and people seem genuine, sincere and supportive. Awesome! No local support groups, so this site has been invaluable!

I was diagnosed with a 9mm left side AN in May and have surgery scheduled for next Thurs, 8/21/08 at the University of Iowa with Dr. Bruce Gantz.

If it wasn't for my insistance to see an ENT, I would not have been diagnosed - at least not at this time. My previous GP (in Colorado) dismissed it as "listening to too much loud music when I was younger". (Not an issue for me). Fortunately I decided to be proactive and assertive and thank goodness I did! (and I have been tempted to send my old GP a letter just to let him know and maybe help the next person who might experience this)

Does anyone have any experience at U of I for ANs? It was the weirdest feeling. When I was driving there (I live 15 min away) a few weeks ago for my pre-op appointment I was getting very scared and nervous. But once I got there and started interacting with the medical staff, I felt very relaxed, comforted and in good hands. Makes me feel like I have made the right decision. :)

Also have a question that I've been wondering about. Is there a preference to putting AN patients in private rooms after the ICU, or are semi-privates the norm.

I've been told to expect 4 days in the hospital. I'm determined to be home in 3!   ;D
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

jtd71465

Re: New here, surgery scheduled
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:26:33 am »
While I do not have experience with U of I, I do have experience with having an AN and surgery for it's removal.  I was (and am back to being) the person that could pass-out at the sight of blood (not necessarily my own).  So upon getting the news (from my wife) that I had an AN I was pretty much trying to stand on wet noodles.  As time passed and I consulted with several Dr.'s I became more at ease with my situation...when I finally made my decision regarding a treatment and a Dr. I was, as you stated relaxed...

As far as semi-private rooms after ICU...I can only tell you that I was in ICU for 1.5 days and them moved into a semi-private room with another AN patient.  Not really sure by day 2 or 3 that you will care much about what room your in....

Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes to a successful surgery and equally successful recovery.

Joe-

Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 05:45:32 am »
Hi Joe.     I am quite experienced with Dr Gantz as have had 4 surgeries there.        I have NF2 and have had ANs on both sides.   3 so far.           I will write more later as have to go babysit grandkids today.                   You will do fine at Univ of Iowa.                  I know a few others who also have had surgery and they have done well.
I have always been in a private room and think they try to do so for the ANers.     You will be on 3JPW.
                  More later,                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 05:46:11 am »
hello dog lover and welcome. I cannot respond re: the facility nor the surgical procedure/follow up but.... I did want to extend a "welcome" to you and to let you know that we will be cheering you on during your treatment (and before... and after).  Wellness wishes to you... and again, welcome.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 06:23:06 am »
From one dog-lover to another--welcome!

I hope things go smoothly for you.  They have gone pretty much according to plan for me with very minor (and improving) side effects.  Most people do just fine and you probably will as well. 

I had surgery at UH in Cleveland and I was wondering about the room thing also.  After ICU I was in a private room on the neurology floor.  I think all the rooms on that floor are private so I got my wish without having to ask.  Also, at the time I have to say that I wouldn't have cared if there was an elephant in the room.  Good drugs took care of any inhibitions I might have had, plus I was so determined to get out of there that it would not have mattered. I probably would have used my roommate to help me get out of bed if I could!   :D

Please keep us posted here...
All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:08 am »
DogLover~
Welcome from Texas!

I have always had a private room EXCEPT when I had a 12/7 graft.  I am with Marci, I doubt I would've cared much after the AN surgery where I was, but it was nice having a private room and since it was private, my family (husband/mom) could stay the nights with me.  When I had the 12/7, I was more with it and did not have a very good experience with someone else in the room, but there were no privates available - because of that I will ALWAYS try to have a private!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 09:28:44 am »
Doglover:

Hi and welcome.  I can't offer any information on the doctor or hospital as I live about 1,000 miles from Iowa but I can tell you that the ICU to private room situation is probably based on the doctor's orders, insurance limitations as well as the hospital's availability of rooms/beds.  I had no complications from my (retrosigmoid) surgery but spent almost 4 full days in ICU, then was transferred to a semi-private room where I spent one day before being discharged.  A hospital nurse later mentioned to my wife that they kept me ICU because they had no beds available on the 'regular' floor.  The point being that a variety of factors go into how long you're in ICU, whether you'll be sent to a private or semi-private room later and how many days you'll be in the hospital.  There are no firm guidelines.

The fact that you've made a decision on surgery, decided on the doctor and hospital and have a firm surgery date all help ease your natural anxiety.  The waiting (a week) might be a bit stressful but I suspect it will pass rather quickly.  At this point I simply want you to know that many here will be thinking of and praying for you on August 21st.  :)

I've taken the liberty of adding your surgery date to the 'AN TReatment Calendar' http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d21/08/2008?authenticate=&display=M&style=B

Jim
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 09:48:50 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 09:48:57 am »
Dear Dog Lover,
     I will reitirate what everyone else has said, first welcome.  I have just had retrosigmoid surgery Aug 6,2008 and going into surgery I felt so relaxed because I really felt I had finallly made the decision and knew that I was ready.  I was 2 days in Neurology Care Center after surgery, and yes, I certainly didn't care if anyone else was there and transfered to a 3 bed room, got lucky, I was the only one in there.  I was only there over night, went home the next day.   I know that your insurance, how you are doing has a lot to do with it.

Sorry I can't help you with your chose of dr's since I'm in NH, but good luck next week, I will have you in my prayers........

SueL/NH

SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 03:02:19 pm »
Good luck next week, Dog Lover!  I spent three nights in the hospital - different room each night, different room mate/s each night.  It didn't much matter.  I actually spent the first night in the Recovery Room because there were no beds in ICU - it turned out to be good from the standpoint that there was a lot going on during the night, thereby keeping me distracted.  :D

I know Cheryl has had good experiences (more than one, unfortunately) at U of I, so it sounds like you will be in excellent, experienced hands.  Have someone let us know how you are doing next week, okay?

Debbi, recovering nicely in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:56 pm »
Hi DogLover,

Dr. Gantz was referred to me by a doctor in Illinois and I trekked to Iowa during my investigation stage.  He is well known for AN's.  I chose HEI for Middle Fossa surgery, but he was on my short list for surgery.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 08:18:20 pm »
Thanks for everyone's replies. I am like some others that I've read about - I deal with things better if I know what may (or may not) happen. Although I do have to admit that I am starting to feel a bit nervous about everything right now. :(

I think I need to go listen to "The Secret" CD again. Positive thinking and the power of attraction...

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 02:47:13 pm »
Cathy -

I have no experience with U of I or Dr. Gantz, but just wanted to say please don't be determined to be out of the hospital in 3 days as opposed to 4.  Recovery from any surgery, IMO especially from AN surgery, isn't a race. 

Everyone recovers at a different rate, and while no one enjoys being in the hospital, you should let your doctor decide when to send you home.  He will be the best judge.

The number of days you are hospitalized doesn't make you any less of an AN success story.  Please take things as they come.

Best wishes with both your surgery and your recovery,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 03:14:42 am »
I was blessed with a prvt room before surgery was admitted 3 wks before because it was gonna be a big opt...

I felt I was in a hotel lol, with an awesome view  :)
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 07:38:52 am »
Lisa~
Did I read that right...you were in the hospital for 3 weeks BEFORE the surgery?  Did you have an infection of something that required special medications??  That just is so surprising - especially in this day of insurance sending you home so quick!!  ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!