Author Topic: 2 month post op MRI  (Read 1831 times)

ataylor

2 month post op MRI
« on: March 27, 2012, 05:05:16 pm »
I had what I thought was "total resection" of a right side AN on Jan 10th of this year. Returned to work 4 weeks post op and, for the most part, have had an uneventful recovery. Went for my 2 month MRI on 3/9/2012 & didn't think much about it as I was sure everything was gone. Yesterday I met with my ENT to go over the results and was shocked to hear " 5.4 mm enhancing lesion...suspicious for residual or recurrent lesion. Mild dural enhancement is also evident." I really felt like I had been punched in the stomach as I thought I would be receiving a clean bill of health.

Could this be scar tissue? Is it normal to have that much in such a short time? If not scar tissue, is it even possible that anything would grow 5.4 mm in 2 months.

I would love to hear some thoughts!
Rt side AN (size never specified on any MRI or post op report despite repeated inquiries). s/p gross total resection of the tumor 1/10/2012 via rt transtemporal retrolabyrinthe & retrosigmoid skull base approach with Dr. Fukushima (Duke Raleigh Hospital)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 month post op MRI
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:44 am »
Hi ~

I'm not a doctor but I can state with some confidence that a resected AN shouldn't re-grow that fast in just 3 months.  It may well be scar tissue or if the MRI was performed on 2 different units, a difference in the scanning 'slices'.  I would seek another evaluation of the MRI results before assuming the AN is re-growing. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ataylor

Re: 2 month post op MRI
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:34 pm »
Thanks Jim! The radiologist did re-read it and compared it to pre-op images and pretty much came to that conclusion. Just got a little excited.  :D Also learned today that I should wait at least 6 months (maybe even a year) for most accuracte picture. Discharge papers did say "MRI in 2 months" so I was just following Dr's orders.  :) Feeling much better about the situation today though. Thank you!
Rt side AN (size never specified on any MRI or post op report despite repeated inquiries). s/p gross total resection of the tumor 1/10/2012 via rt transtemporal retrolabyrinthe & retrosigmoid skull base approach with Dr. Fukushima (Duke Raleigh Hospital)