Author Topic: How has your tumor changed in size since your treatment?  (Read 3273 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
How has your tumor changed in size since your treatment?
« on: October 15, 2005, 01:02:30 pm »
I just thought it might be interesting to see how each person's tumor has changed with treatment...or non treatment...radiation, surgical, and watch and wait types...   Also, any docs disagree in the size of the tumor?

Mine originally measured as 1.4 cm left ear (University of Virginia (UVA), measurement), and 1.8 cm (Portsmouth Naval Hospital Measurement...military docs), kind of interesting how they came up with different numbers...     

I had Gamma Knife in 11/2003 and so far (last MRI July of 2005),  it is at 2.2 cm (University of VA), and 2.1 cm (Portsmouth Naval Hosp).   

Military is happy and wants to wait for 2 years for next MRI, and UVA wants another MRI before it makes a decision on 2 year anniversary date of Gamma Knife treatment.

Gary

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 01:04:34 pm by GM »
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

chopper

Re: How has your tumor changed in size since your treatment?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 02:09:05 pm »
Not quite on par with the topic as I haven't had treatment yet, but I was diag'd with a 3cm by a neuro doc in Newport News, HEI said it came in at 2.5cm...so, who to believe?  In a way, it's a bit of a relief to see it's happened elsewhere too.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Bernadette

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 05:31:47 pm »
In july my An was a 1.9cm, by the time I had surgery Sept 19th it had grown(?) a cm.Were the original measurments right? Or had it grown? That is why they did the Middle Fossa, I am glad they did that one I wanted to try to preserve what hearing I had........Which if they had known what size it was  when they were doing the surgery, well you know it would have been a different approach..........Bernadette

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:13:09 pm »
Chopper....would that be Newport News Virginia?
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

chopper

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 07:43:39 am »
Yupper ;D
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 04:34:57 pm »
Hi guys,

The difference in growth measurements can be due to the fact that these growths can embark on rapid growth spurts. Also, there is a big difference in MRI machines. As I live in Sydney, Australia, I only looked at the Australian MRI's but there is a huge difference in power and imaging levels of these machines at differnet places. In fact there are 5 different magnet strength levels . It would pay to do a search on google to get a comparison or ask the relevant hospitals of their magnet strength. There is a good article on MRI's and how they work at http://www7.health.gov.au/msac/pdfs/msacref07b.pdf - page 12 of 116. This may explain why there is a difference in sizes. Prior to me getting radiatherapy treatment where they pin point the centre of the tumor using CT Scan and MRI, i will make sure that the equipment is "up there" in terms of age, service record and strength. Not sure on CT scans but I will enquire.
My advice - take nothing for granted. the size of the AN is very important before getting treatment because some treatments are not suitable for large AN's. You wouldn't want to come out of surgery having been treated ifferently to what you expected because of a faulty MRI reading. 

I would also be sceptical about waiting 2 years for another MRI. i would do them annually at a minimum.

cheers

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 07:39:25 pm »
I have no idea why size differs in mris read by different poeple.......

i figure from the same mri read by different people who end up with differing measurments that maybe they used a different ruler or something. Then again an mri has a built in ruler in the image which anyone can follow,  so who knows......

I've heard that mri machines are different in some ways yes of course...... but have only heard about brilliance, and sharpness and image itself, not "size" of a tumour.....

If i had to measure a head from top to bottom and then the size of a "thing" inside it, i figure it would not be that hard.... maybe some "math" etc... so, I will finish by saying i don't really understand why a "size" would vary depending on who reads it either.......

Patty_Eh

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 12:19:27 pm »
I was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer in June 2005 and let me tell you it has been a roller coaster!  I was treated with both Chemo (Dillon Protocol) and Radiation (34 treatments).  My tumour was originally 8 cm, today I was told that it's size is now 5 cm.  My Dr. seems very happy with this result to date as it is only 4 weeks since treatment seized.  She is hoping that the tumour will continue to decrease in size......keeping my fingers and toes and everything else crossed for a good outcome!...   :)

Regards,               
Patty
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 12:22:58 pm by Patty_Eh »

Sheryl

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 02:37:18 pm »
I am still a "wait and watch" patient.  My tumor was found incidentally in 2001 at 9 mm.  I've had four MRI's since with a long space between the last one (a year and a half) at which time I was treated for breast cancer (no relation to the head tumor).  The last MRI was read at 12 mm.  One radiologist felt it was under-read the first time and could possibly be 10 mm so 2 mm in four years is not even treated as growth.  I was told that different machines, different technicians, and even the position of your head (think of how small 1 mm is) can account for differences in size measurements.  My tumor is not actually an acoustic neuroma, it is on the 9th cranial nerve (as opposed to the 8th) and would affect my swallowing and gag reflex and so far I have no symptoms.  If the time comes that I need treatment, I will probably opt for radiation. 
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W