Author Topic: Chelsea update  (Read 2626 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea update
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:11:12 am »
Chelsea cleared a major hurdle today.  She had surgery to implant her shunt (brain drain) internally.  This surgery was problematical because of swelling, breathing, and infection issues over the last few days.  Yesterday it was determined to go ahead with the procedure.  Scheduled to go to surgery at 6:30 a.m. she finally rolled out the door at 7:45.  The surgeon, Dr. Bergschneider, another world renowned physician (Chelsea has been so fortunate with her amazing doctors) came out to the waiting room at 9:45 to announce success.  He was chuckling at an episode he had witnessed that is typical Chelsea.  Because she is on aided breathing, they put her on a temporary device while transporting her to surgery.  It consists of a kind of bellows, a football size heavy plastic balloon that a, in this case male, nurse has to repeatedly squeeze to force air into her lungs.  While waiting to go into surgery she expressed exasperation and disgust at the nurse with her eyes.  She gave the hands down waving signal indicating to slow down!  He didn't get it so she grabbed the device and started squeezing it at her own pace.  He looked dumbfounded and just let her do it.  She was squeezing away at this thing when the surgeon came to her bedside.  He told us in 20 years of doing surgery here he had never seen anyone self-ventilate.  All I can think is that it's a good thing she was unconscious during surgery or she probably would have had an opinion in there as well.

With each surgery she loses more hair but gains more ground.  The tube running from the top of her head is now gone.  The goal is for her to lose the ventilating tube in her throat tomorrow or Sunday.  All her vital signs are good.  Her heart rate is now consistently in the 50's.  Her breathing is still labored on it's own but fine when aided.  Her right eye still doesn't track to the right.  I'm concerned about her swallow function when she loses the tube.  The next surgery on Friday the 30th is going to be tricky given the location of remaining tumor tissue.  However, we remain confident that everything will work out.  With your prayers and Chelsea's feistiness, all hurdles will be cleared just as today's was.

Returning the love we feel from you,

George, Michelle, Chase, and Chelsea

amymeri

Re: Chelsea update
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:28:51 am »
Helo to Chelsea's family.  We haven't officially "met" but I have been following your daughter's story and think about her often.  I love the visual of her ventilating herself and can imagine that if they didn't put her out she would probably try to operate on herself!  That kind of spunk is just what she needs to get through this and get back to life!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that she continues to improve and all goes well!

Best wishes!

Amy

Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

matti

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 10:41:48 am »
Well our Chelsea is certainly one very strong, independent and determined young lady. Way to go!!!! 

Even though she has another hurdle on June 30th, it certainly sounds like she has made incredible progress since last week and I believe she will continue to amaze everyone.

She is in everyone's prayers and please know we are here if you need anything.

Thank you for the update and sending you a hug!

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »
chelsmom:

Wow!  Your girl is quite a fighter.  Good for her! 

Our prayers are with you both.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:04:10 pm »
Wow what a wonderful story of strength!  You're daughter is a fighter and spunky which will carry her far!!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop!  Give her a thumbs up for me.  I'm keeping your family in my prayers and as I found out today God does work in mysterious ways!  I met a guy for a job prospect for months down the road who's wife also needs help with bookkeeping which is what I'm hoping to get trained to do since I can no longer teach.  They are both wonderful people who happen to be doing a home based study group from my pastor from texas.  I've been in Fl for 5 years now and only briefly lived in texas....Very short readers digest version of this story but just goes to show prayers works!  Power of postive thought. 

nipanddale

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 12:24:53 am »
WOW, I'm amazed at your daughter’s strength and perseverance. I think she is going to get through all of this just fine.

My prayers are with you during this time.

nip
3.5cm Diagnosed June 2006 - Removed June 28, 2006
House Ear Clinic - Los Angeles, CA
Surgical Doctors: Brackmann, Hitselberger, Kutz, and Stefan
CFS Leak Doctor: Friedman
Follow-up Doctor: Cullen

Entire tumor removed
Facial nerve intact

Today is a good day!

cookiesecond

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 03:25:48 am »
It's great to hear that chelsea is such a fighter. You guys will continually be in our prayers.
Take care,
Lynn

chrissmom

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 08:00:02 am »
I feel better getting that update.  Chelsea has what it takes !  Please tell her we're thinking of her thru all of this.  Chris often asks about Chelsea. Positive thoughts and prayers coming your way.

SuzeAN

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:16:34 pm »
Prayers for you and your family, Chelsea sounds like she has an amazing strength, she is an inspiration.  Looking forward to reading about
a successful recovery for her.

Blessings sent your way,
Suzan

2.5 cm, left side
CK-Barrows 10/05

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 10:09:22 pm »
Great news!! Inspirational!!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 01:56:14 pm »
chelseasmom... what a true trooper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Please give her huggles from me and tell her to keep fighting the good fight!  Amazing! What an inspiration and a pillar of courage and strength!  Those genes must come from the maternal side! :)  Pat yourself on the back for raising an amazing daughter! :)

xo
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"