Author Topic: 1 year anniversary post-CK  (Read 7687 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
1 year anniversary post-CK
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:06:14 pm »
Well, this forum is called "Post Treatment", with a sub-note that Post treatment comments can be posted here... so, since I'm a "postie", I thought I'd put this here in hopes of sharing with others, especially newbies here, on how my first year, post CK has gone....

...and boy has it gone.... :)

One year ago, I was on the phones with Mark and Captn' Deb and so many other wonderful folks here, trying to supress my anxiety of heading into CK treatment on Monday, April 3, 2006.  I had no qualms about what I was doing... it was the typical "fear of the unknown".  I had seen the CK machine the week before treatment so I had a sense of what the treatment room, the robotics, the "control room" all looked like. I had my mesh mask made, had my MRI/CT scans done... now it was just time to blow this booger away.

I walked in, during Easter Week, with my Chipmunks Christmas CD, as well as my guilty pleasures of Yanni.... as well as U2, Elton John and gawd, I forget the last one.  The CK team, as a joke back to me, during the very last treatment, the very last song, put on Frank Sinatra's "I did it my way..."... boy, were they on the money!

I learned in the months post treatment, not to jump at every little twinge I had.  Some were AN related... some were CK related... and some... weren't related at all.  I learned a true sense of "calm" in my decision and to this day, 1 year later, feel so at peace for what I chose and know I did what was best for me.  I've learned to help put my family and friends at ease, knowing that my sister was lost due to a malignant brain tumor and I would not cave into this booger... that this booger wasn't going to get the best of me. I have learned that the intial anxiety prior to my treatment and since was real, that I have been certainly entitled to it and that it still does rear its fugly head on occassion, but I am stronger than that. I will not let anxiety get the best of me.

I have learned what wonderful friends and family I have....and that my AN family holds such a dear place in my heart and soul. I have learned that I have strength and energy to give back, to those just starting this journey who may feel lost or anxious or numb in knowing what they now endure.

I have learned I am blessed in knowing the booger is now showing signs of death.... that my hearing remains intact and all potential side affects are gone (or just about).

I have learned how very lucky I am that this journey has given me a chance to really sit back and determine that if it were not for this AN journey, I would not have found the inner peace that I have... and yes, I do have it... knowing I can conquer anything that comes my way.  If I can beat my AN, I can beat all else that ails me and anything that is thrown at me... in my daily life, in health, in spirit.

I share this with you all now in hopes that newbies here will see that life certainly does go on with AN's... and post treatment.  I share this with you to give you my yearly update on how I am doing... and to share with you all that I am so so very blessed to have you all in my family.....

I know.... kinda mushy for me.... but hey, I had chocolate in celebration and I'm feeling good! :)

Continued wellness to you all... for those of you new to the AN journey...know you, too, will conquer... and to the "old timers" (don't hit me for that!) here that have been beside me through thick and thin.... well.... as my Japanese counterparts say... "domo arigato gozaimasu, tomadachis"*

With appreciations, gratitude.. and love,
Phyl

*translation: thank you very much, friends
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:09:49 pm by ppearl214 »
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jcinma

Re: 1 year anniversary post-CK
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 08:33:32 pm »
We owe you the thank you, the appreciation, the gratitude and the love for providing each and every one of us on this forum your never ending support and comraderie.  We are all so blessed to have you as our friend,
Happy Pesach (don't eat too much matzoh, it is very binding! lol)
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

Lorenzo

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:56:04 am »
HI Phyl,

Well said! I'm sure it reflects a lot of what most of us have gone through and feel right now. Congratulations on your first year, your spirit and continued up-lifitng attitude to it all! You are an inspiration to a lot of people!

Ciao, Lorenzo

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:14 am »
Congratulations, Phyl!!!!!!!!!!
What a journey and what an outcome for you.  You truly are an inspiration to all of us. 
Hugs,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Derek

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:47:37 pm »
Hi Phyl...

Congrats on your 1st (other) anniversary!

I've also just realised that its almost a year since I found this great website...my how time flys when your'e enjoying yourself (lol). I have to say that finding the ANAUSA 'site has been invaluable in enabling me (and many others) to acquire an indepth wealth of knowledge on ANs from the patients' perspective which I would never otherwise have obtained. That all important aspect is down to folks like your good self Phyl who consistently manage to find the time to empathise, encourage and assist others who are often newly diagnosed and in desperate need of reassurance.

Lookling forward to your 2nd anniversary and further good news that you are winning your battle with the 'little booger'!

Keep up the good work.

Best regards

Derek

Residing UK. In 'watch & wait' since diagnosis in March 2002 with right side AN. Initially sized at 2.5cm and now self reduced to 1.3cm.
All symptoms have abated except impaired hearing on affected side which is not a problem for me.

Sheryl

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:24:18 pm »
Hi Phyl - what a wonderful note - thank you from your "snowbird" buddy.  May you have continued good health and decrease in size of your AN.  We'll be back in six weeks and hope to bring the warm weather with us!!
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:58 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words... please remember that if it weren't for you all... I wouldn't be doing a good as I am ... please remember that! :)

Jane, happy Pesach to you... I survived the matzoh balls but unsure if my stomach will :-\..... I hope you did too!

My dear snowbird, I'm sorry you won't be back in time for the brunch.... but hope to finally meet you one of these days real soon!

As for the rest of you.... *blush*... my humble thank you... and you all keep on rawkin' :)

Thanks again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:38:50 pm »
Hi Phyl,

I'm right behind you, kiddo. One year since treatment on the 18th of April.  I concur with all you said.  I was thinking about this last night.  Anyway....

Best of luck to you.

My computer is making strange sounds, so if you don't hear from me...it's because my 'puter died.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

BevM

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:34 am »
Hi Phyl:   Thanks for the update.  So glad for you and the progress.  I am encouraged by your report as I am strugglilng with my symtoms right now and will have my 6-mo MRI April 18 th.  My recent hearing test confirms my experience of additional hearing loss and the pain has been escalated again.  I am hoping this is just tumor swelling and not growing!!

Congratulations on your one year!

Bev

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 08:34:35 am »
Sue and Bev.... thank you.... :-*... and both of you are going to do great!!!!!!!!!  Sue, I know your next appt is going to give you great news!  Bev, I know it's a bit bumpy right now, but I have a feeling you are on the fast track to wellness..... hang in there!

thanks again to all!
Phyl

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:01:06 pm »
What else is there to say other than...

* * * * Happy Anniversary!! * * * *
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

matti

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:35:25 pm »
Happy 1st ANniversary :-* you RAWK!!!

hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

okiesandy

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 03:06:28 pm »
Phyl,

Grats to you. Time just flys when you are having fun..............

Remember all the worry and fretting about treatment choices?  Fear of treatment, which doctor, where to go, what will the future hold, post treatment complications? Doesn't that seem like a long time ago?

Hugs and Blessings,

Sandy

Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

ceeceek

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 09:45:15 am »
Happy Anniversary, happy anniversary..happy anniversary hoorah hoorey....
Thank you for all your inspiration..I would have chosen the ck if I could have...may still need its services, but keeping my fingers crossed that if I am undergoing the knife, it will get it alllllllll....in the interim, not sure where I would be mentally...and I mean more wacky than I already am, without all of you. Phyl, you keep the site up and running, in check, and all of us in line. I am so proud of how you have faced all of your challenges with grace..hope I can do the same..should we have a funeral for the little bugger now?
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 11:17:49 am »
Katie... thank you for the wonderful sentiment!!!!!  You remembered my fave color! :)
Cheryl.... You and your ItaliAN  wit! ;)
Sandy.... OMG! I said the same thing to PapaPearl this am when we talked about it since it's been 1 yr.... But if it weren't for all that hectic time period, you all would not have worked your way into my heart... so... .thank gawd for the craziness! :D
Ceecee.....You are going to do great!  Although I'm too large for a cheerleading outfit, I'm cheering you on... and will kick your um....derriere if you get outta line! ;)  (NOT!)

thanks again all!
Phyl