Author Topic: Brain Training (Lumosity)  (Read 7558 times)

Palace

• Palace
Brain Training (Lumosity)
« on: March 09, 2013, 04:46:19 pm »

Explanation: How Brain Training Can Make You Significantly Smarter

As many people hit middle age, they often start to notice that their memory and mental clarity are not what they used to be.  We suddenly can't remember where we put the keys just a moment ago, or an old acquaintance's name, or the name of an old band we used to love.  As the brain fades, we euphemistically refer to these occurrences as "senior moments."

While seemingly innocent, this loss of mental focus can potentially have a detrimental impact on our professional, social, and personal well-being.

It happens to most of us, but is it inevitable?

Neuroscientists are increasingly showing that there's actually a lot that can be done.  It turns that the brain needs exercise in much the same way our muscles do, and the right mental workouts can significantly improve our basic cognitive functions.  Thinking is essentially a process of making neural connections in the brain.  To a certain extent, our ability to excel in making the neural connections that drive intelligence is inherited.  However, because these connections are made through effort and practice, scientists believe that intelligence can expand and fluctuate according to mental effort.

Now, a new San Francisco Web-based company has taken it a step further and developed the first "brain training program" designed to actually help people improve and regain their mental sharpness.  Called Lumosity, it was designed by some of the leading experts in neuroscience and cognitive psychology from Stanford University.

Lumosity, is far more than an online place to exercise your mental skills.  That's because they have integrated these exercises into a Web-based program that allows you to systematically improve your memory and attention skills.  The program keeps track of your progress and provides detailed feedback on your performance and improvement.  Most importantly, it constantly modifies and enhances the games you play to build on the strengths you are developing--much like an effective exercise routine requires you to increase resistance and vary your muscle use.

Does it work?

Apparently it does. In randomized, controlled clinical trials, Lumosity was shown to significantly improve basic cognitive functions. One study showed students improved their scores on math tests by 34 percent after using Lumosity for six weeks, significantly greater gains than those made by other students in the same class, who were not training with the Lumosity program.

The company says its users have reported clearer and quicker thinking, improved memory for names, numbers, directions, increased alertness and awareness, elevated mood, and better concentration at work or while driving.

While many of the games at Lumosity are free, a modest subscription fee is required to use the full program over the long term.

However, Lumosity is currently offering a free trial of their program to new users so that you can see how well it works before you decide to subscribe.  The trial is completely free (no credit card required) and the company believes the results will speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:49:18 pm by Palace »
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
Re: Brain Training (Lumosity)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »
What's Joan Rivers doing here?
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

jsanders1379

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:44 pm »
LOL-u made my day Arizona Jack...
Jeanne
Dx 10-25-2012
5x6x4 mm
3-27-2013 MRI 9x6x6 mm
GK  5-7-13 Swedish Hospital, Denver

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:30 pm »
LOL-u made my day Arizona Jack...

People want humor.

Just trying to oblige.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:47:54 pm »
What's Janet Reno doing here?
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:48:32 pm »
LOL-u made my day, CrazyCat!
single sided deafness

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:28:56 am »
Much obliged......
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:21:14 am »
What's Michael Jackson doing here?
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:58 am »
We are making a connection; we have two JR people and one MJ!  (And one, "Vincent Van Gogh")

Thank-you "arizonajackson" for starting the humor: you too, Jeanne.

Hang in there, Paul.

RE:

Thinking is essentially a process of making neural connections in the brain. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:23:16 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 12:37:57 pm »
Google for video of man playing his guitar in the middle of brain successful brain surgery:

When you think of all the advancements in medical technology, it can blow your mind. To prove that, we're bringing you the story of Brad Carter, a 39-year-old musician and actor. Carter has appeared on various TV shows, including "CSI." Carter had brain surgery recently, and you have to see it to believe it. Thanks to Vine, Twitter, and the power of the Internet, now you can.

Carter was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2006. He started experiencing hand and eye tremors, which caused him to lose his ability to play the guitar. Doctors at UCLA Medical Center performed a deep brain-stimulation surgery, which involves implanting an electrode emitter to affected areas of Carter's brain. Surgeons had to awaken Carter during the surgery to make sure they were implanting the electrode emitter in the right part of his brain.

The surgery turned social when doctors in the operating room tweeted six-second Vine videos of the procedure. We watch as doctors prep his head. Once the electrodes were in place, Carter was able to write and hold a cup of water without shaking. He even sent a message to his family: "Hi mom. Hi dad. Hi Kristie."

As if by magic, Carter is also seen strumming the guitar and singing a song while doctors are still operating on him. His surgery was the 500th of its kind performed at a hospital. Doctors insist that placing the electrode emitters in Carter's brain is not a cure, but a way to control the patient's tremors and stiffness. Carter seems especially grateful to have music back in his life.

Thanks to the power of social media, now we all get to share in his experience, too.

[Related: Boxers Work to Knock Out Parkinson's Symptoms]

Like us on Facebook.com/TrendingNow, and follow "Trending Now" on Twitter: @Knowlesitall and @YahooTrending.
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 06:47:07 pm »
The brain requires a template that it recognizes as reproductive, in the right proportions of the minor and major hormones, to operate optimally.  Only one in every ten cells in the brain is a neuron.  (store memory, make memory, move our arms and legs and so on)

The brain can make all of the hormones that are present in the body.  The axons go from the brain to the fingertips.  And these are myelinated, meaning they're coated with myelin.  Myelin is the sheath around the neuron cells that protects it.  And myelin requires progesterone.  The cells that coat and make myelin are called Schwann cells.  (in the brain they're called oligodendrocyes, and these require progesterone; synthetic progesterone does not help these cells make myelin)  But biodentical does!

Research is going on to show that progesterone is neuroprotective and neuroregenerative to repair myelin to make these connections.

Just more interesting brain data.

Pal
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:56:38 am by Palace »
single sided deafness

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
So dare I say that if there isn't enough progesterone (man or woman's balance) to make myelin (Schwann cells) to repair or make myelin then it might/or will split causing an A.N.  JMHO

This is a very serious realization.  Do any of you have thoughts on the possible discovery?
single sided deafness

nftwoed

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:16 am »
Hi;
   Not fully understanding of your comment. The myelin sheath is comprised of more cell types than schwan. Are you saying schwan cells cannot be produced w/o progesterone?

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 02:58:58 pm »
Thanks nftwoed for responding.  Yes myelin sheath is incorporated of more cell types besides the schwan but, since it is my understanding that it needs enough progesterone to make myelin to repair or make myelin, as I mentioned.  I was hoping to catch the eye of a chemist and perhaps get more data, ideas and feedback.

I handled so much mercury in the field of dentistry years ago, I'm still trying to figure why my very own schwan split.  I know I could put myself under even more stress trying to figure this out but, I quit thinking about it yet always looking for the answer to why we on this forum had this happen to us.

Nobody has found the answer yet, that I know of.

Wouldn't it be great to somehow reverse the problem someday.

You are a new member here and I'm wondering where you are in diagnosis and treatment.

Again thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

Palace
single sided deafness