Author Topic: Tinnitus & Acupuncture  (Read 7627 times)

LKeith

Tinnitus & Acupuncture
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:27:49 pm »
I had a trans-lab at HEI by Drs. Friedman and Schwartz 4 months ago to remove a 2.4 cm acoustic neuroma. My recovery has been pleasantly uneventful. I began working full time at week #4 and traveled internationally for work at week #10. I manage the fatigue and dizziness with exercise and sleep with pretty good success. However, I still have tinnitus which I understand happens sometimes when it exists pre-op. I've heard that acupuncture can sometimes lessen the tinnitus. Has anyone in the Los Angeles area had any success with this? I am looking for a referral and would prefer an acupuncture therapist who is familiar with acoustic neuroma. I'd like to continue with my amazing recovery.

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
Re: Tinnitus & Acupuncture
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »
Hello,
I had my surgery about 22 months ago at House, Dr. Slattery was my surgeon.  I have some facial paralysis on my right side and I had a lot of pain in the surgical area with ingrown hairs which were very annoying and painful. 
My acupucturist was referred by Teresa England who was also referred from House, she's a PT.  The acupuncturist name is Najla Bose, I went four times a month for three months and then another 3 months, twice a month, then I discontinued the treatment because Najia had to travel to India for a long period of time.  She is in Marina Del Rey/Culver City area,  (Venice and Grandview) 12114 Venice Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90066.   
Majla's mom also had a AN removed and apparently has facial paralysis too, she said that's the reason why she became an acupuncturists.  I didn't have tinnitus so I can't say it will help you but I'm sure it will help you in many other ways.  I wish my insurance would pay more because I would have continue the treatment.
Good luck!

Ilsemor

LKeith

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:51:53 am »
Ilsemor,

Thank you so much for the referral. She sounds exactly like what I need. Do you by any chance have an email or phone #?

Good luck to you too. Hope you are doing well.

LKeith

LKeith

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 08:03:23 am »
Ilsemor, I found a website for Najla and emailed her. Will report back if that turns into a dead end.

Again, thank you so much.

LisaM

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:22 pm »
Another acupuncturist you may want to try is Drs. Ha in Santa Monica.  The husband is Dr. Ha and his wife is Ping (both are equally skilled)  They've been there for 30 years.  I'm seeing them right now to see if they can shrink the AN in head.  I've had 11 treatments and will have an MRI in July to see what is happening inside my head.  Just this past Wednesday I had a brief attack of Sudden Hearing Loss and am left with a fair amount of tinnitus. It's only been two days and I've only had one treatment (today) since Wednesday so I will see where I am at the end of next week.  They use needles and electricity.  Feel free to email me if you have further questions. 

Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

saifkamaal

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:11:14 am »
First off all apologies for bumping this old post. I have a friend who is having AN for last 4 yrs and has undergone 2 surgeries till date - the 2nd one in 2012. Her current AN size is (4.0 (AP) x 3.5 (H) x 3.2 (W) cm)), which is a big worry for us. We have been told that Acupuncture can help in cases where patient is suffering from AN. I would love to hear from the people here if in case they had the same and went ahead with Acupuncture and the results.

I would also like to know the way to reduce AN size. All doctors told her to undergo surgery again for size reduction and then go for technique like gamma knife and cyber knife to control AN.

I am looking for an alternative solution like her AN size reduction with the help of Acupuncture, so that she doesnt need to go another surgery.

Love to hear from you fellas.

Apologies again for bumping a pretty old post.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:32:28 am by saifkamaal »

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:48:16 am »
Her current AN size is (4.0 (AP) x 3.5 (H) x 3.2 (W) cm)), which is a big worry for us.

It should be. For her, too.

That AN is close to being the size of a golf ball.

I don't think she has time to explore alternate treatment.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

saifkamaal

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »
Thnks for the reply dear. Our worry is even if she gets one more surgery done, the doctors will have to leave some part of AN behind as the facial nerves passes through it. So one option is the doctors operate her, reduce the size of AN- then we get gamma knife done on her and something more and more......

We don't want to put the poor child through the knifes and surgery tables again and again. ??? ???

LisaM

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:08:30 am »
I'm not a doctor and the AN found in my head was only 2cm. Over the past 2 1/2 years the AN has gotten smaller and the last MRI, one year ago, the AN measured 1cm.  I did a major overhaul on my life, changed my diet, did acupuncture, left an unhappy marriage, starting meditating everyday and I also take supplements.  ANs seem to be a very personal experience.  You need to make sure that the AN is not compromising anything that could shut down vital organs.  I'm not comfortable giving any advice but here's a link to a post that lists what I did and some of it I still do:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=3791.msg979740298#msg979740298

I am not a doctor and you should discuss whatever you do with a medical professional.  Best of health to you.
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)

saifkamaal

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:29 am »
I am bumping this post yet  again. >:( >:( :( :( :( :(

My friend got operated and now her tumor reads 3.1 * 2.2 * 1.0 . is this size suitable for gamma knife or cyber knife ?

Of 3.1 * 2.2 * 1.0 - which parameter stands for the size of the tumor ?

Regards
Saif