Author Topic: Newbie at 3.5 weeks postop  (Read 7489 times)

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
Newbie at 3.5 weeks postop
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
Hello!
I'm Nicole and I'm new here. I've lurked a few times pre-op but didn't join until today because I wanted to say "thank you!" to everyone. I was having a rough day today and reading about the normalcy of everything I have going on helped a lot!

A little background on me-
My AN story started on 8/14, just one week after my father-in-law passed away after a two year battle with a cancerous brain tumor, when I called out of work for what I thought was the flu. I went to the Minute Clinic, essentially to get a work note, and they couldn't find anything wrong with me but told me to go to the ER if I didn't get better the next day. I don't know why I got a fever that night, or why I decided my headache (I'd had them almost daily since April) was bad enough for the ER, but the staff there was good enough to figure out my symptoms warrented a head CT and subsequent MRI.
I got connected with docs at Johns Hopkins, and though my only symptoms really were headaches and some mild facial weakness (normal hearing in both ears!), we decided to proceed quickly with surgery because of my young age (23 at diagnosis) and the size and position of my tumor (5cm, pressing on the brain stem). I had retrosigmoid surgery on 9/22. They were able to remove all of the tumor and anatomically preserve my hearing and facial nerve, however the nerves are "stunned" so I am deaf in the left ear and the left side of my face is paralyzed. The docs seem optimistic about at least the face coming back but only time will tell.

Right now I'm in PT 3 times a week to work on balance and strength in the left side (I wasn't expecting my *whole* left side to come out wonky!), and hopefuly next week I'll be getting a gold weight implant so I can get rid of this darn plastic wrap on my eye. OT starts at the end of the month. I'm very happy to have advanced to walking on my own, showering on my own while standing, and now sleeping laying down again. My goal is to get back to work (I'm a night shift nurse on a mother-baby / OBGYN / newborn nursery unit) around 2 months postop, but I feel like I have a long way to go before I'm ready. As it is now I'm staying with my parents while my husband takes care of my two kids, aged 1 and 3, and brings them over to "visit" me. I can't wait until I'm allowed to lift again so I can hold my baby!

Looking forward to getting to know you all and thank you again for inspiring me through a rough day today!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newbie at 3.5 weeks postop
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:24:11 pm »
Nicole .....

Welcome to the Forum!  What a journey you have had so far!  So glad you have already had successful treatment for a whopper of an AN.  It sounds like you are doing amazingly well for the size of AN you had.  I know it will seem like a long time, but let your body do its miraculous healing ..... do your exercises and then rest ...... rest and then do your exercises.  Soon you will be able to hold your precious children again.

My thoughts and prayers for a quick, uneventful recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:51 pm »
My goodness - you had a doozie!  I'm so glad you checked in - sounds like you are well on your way and that you have great care.  You are very fortunate that the AN was found before some really awful things happened due to the size.  Turns out, that 'ole brain stem is pretty important!!

Try to be patient - this recovery can come with lots of ups and downs, but lots of folks here have really sailed through with no "events."  (Love that reference!).  It helped me to ask questions and check in with this group because it brought me close to folks who have been there - something that unless you're close to it, or been through it, it's tough to relate.  I'll bet you'll be holding that baby soon - in the meantime, focus on you and getting your strength back. 

Hang in there, Nicole!  You are among friends here!!!!

Kathy

AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:28 pm »
Hi Nicole and welcome from another nurse (quite a few of us on here, actually).

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction - slow but sure.  We've all had to learn a little bit of patience during this AN journey - and for some of us, it was not an easy thing to learn!

Now that you're walking on your own, I'll bet your strength and balance will improve quickly.  And chasing after two little ones will help too, I'm sure!  I had a 4 year old and a 10 month old at the time of my surgery, so I know how hard it is to not be able to do all the usual Mommy things for a little while.  You may not be able to pick up your kids right now, but they can still climb on your lap for a snuggle - it's great medicine!

Sorry you had a rough day today - I hope each day gets better and better!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:24 pm »
Hi, Nicole.

I wanted to join the welcoming committee  ;D

I just read your blog and saw your post op pictures.  You sure have been through a lot, but as Lori said, you're headed in the right direction.

Looking forward to getting to know you, too.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:06 pm »
Hi, Nicole ~

Please accept my welcome.  I saw your post on another thread with a link to your blog, so I went there and read a lot of it.  The entries were informative and the photos were excellent.   Although a few were 'graphic', trust me, there was nothing (post-op) we haven't all seen before (usually, in a mirror)!  We know what it's like after AN surgery.  

I'm sorry you're having to struggle with your recovery but many of the issues you're dealing with are very likely going to be temporary and I trust that, with youth on your side, you'll have a good recovery, although probably nowhere near as quickly as you would prefer.  It's encouraging to read about your progress and I want you to know that your 'story' is likely going to be somewhat inspirational for future AN patients.  Even with obstacles, healing does happen and you can return to normalcy.  It must be tough to miss your kids and also to see returning to your profession as a distant goal.  However, you're determined and clearly optimistic, with good reason, I might add, and I believe you'll be working as a nurse again before you know it.  It won't be easy - but it will be worth it.  

Please consider these forums a resource and post here as often as you may feel compelled to do so.  Ask questions when necessary and definitely know that we understand what you're dealing with because most of us have 'been there', to some extent.  We're cheering you on from afar and you and your family will be in the prayers of many.  Thanks for posting.  :)

Jim  

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:35:27 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 03:17:00 pm »
Hi Nicole
I just wanted to say that it sounds like you are doing great for 3 1/2 weeks post op! I know for me, this forum was such an amazing resource  post op. It is great resource for someone going thru something like recovery from AN surgery. It sounds like you are working hard to regain your strength-just remember not to push yourself harder than your body is ready for. Alot of recovery is about learning to push enough to make progress with giving your body the rest it needs. Good luck and take care!
Erin

another NY postie

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
I too saw your blog on the Halloween post and went on it to check out your Mohawk!  I had surgery the day after you but yours was a much, much BIGGER one!  It sounds like you are doing very well week 3.5 considering what you have been through and how large your AN/mrengioma was.  I can only imagine how it is to have gone through surgery, still be going through this post surgery stuff, and to have young children.   (my girls are older 10&13 so it m, de things much easier and I don't pick them up anymore ;D )  Here's wishing you make a speedy recovery especially with your facial nerve and hoping you can pick up those adorable children soon!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37:56 am »
Hi, I cannot imagine how rough this is for you being so young and with small children I am much older and should stop and think I have to stop pitying myself and be grateful and to realize that there are others out there with much larger AN's and going through more difficult situations.  I am just suggesting maybe looking into a Vestibular Therapist I do not fully understand but I have noticed a lot of people seeing PT/OT but not too often mentioning a VT, I personally found the Vestibular Therapy extremely helpful..
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

ombrerose4

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:27 am »
Welcome from one newbie to another. My surgery was 9/24. I know it must be hard not holding your children, but you will you every day something will be alittle better. Sometimes it's hard to see it, but I know most days I feel alittle better and have even started to do 15 minutes of my walking tape in the house (at a slower speed). I am a student nurse and am hoping to return for my third semester in January. The trick is to try to stay positive and remember there are always those less fortunate than ourselves. This forum is wonderful for support, information and to remind us that we are not alone. Have a great day!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

tenai98

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:40:10 am »
hello and welcome to our family.  You are in great hands here.
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:05:40 am »
Thanks for the welcomes, everyone! Following and posting along here as already done great things for my mood!!
Unfortunately my son is sick with a cough right now, and since I've already caught one of their colds since leaving the hospital, I'm in "quarantine" for awhile until he's not coughing anymore.

pbjork - Thanks for the suggestion of a vestibular therapist. Actually, the therapists I worked with in the hospital were PTs that specialize in vestibular issues, and that's what I've been referred to for my current PT. Plus they gave me an excellent "homework" book which I've been practicing (though maybe not as much as I should..). My main issue now is more the left sided weakness than the dizziness, so I'm hoping PT will help?

jerseygirl

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 12:28:34 pm »
Hi, Nicole,

Welcome to this forum!  I also find a great source of information and inspiration. I had AN surgery twice: in 1988 for a giant AN and in 2007 for its regrowth. I also ended up with one-sided weakness after the first surgery for the same reason as you and it got worse after the second surgery. Both times it took me two years to get to the point when it is not noticeable to the outside world but I can still feel it.

I feel that once you have it, you will always have it even in a minor form although after two years I reached a point when it does not stop me from doing anything that I want. Exercise can both heal it and camouflage what is left but I have to do it religiously and never stop. Once I stop, weakness returns. One type of exercise that helps is resistance or weight training, not endurance training, like running or walking and not flexibility training like yoga or pilates. They all have their place in an exercise program, don't get me wrong, I do all of these for various reasons. I learned though that if I skip my weights even for two days I have trouble walking on day three and appear to have scoliosis because my right shoulder is lower than the left. So, before I go to bed, I do weights even if I am extremely sleepy or tired. Right now they are the most important part in my exercise program because they give the most results in a short term.  I am not prone to being obsessive-compulsive but I learned that I need it the hard way.When I travel, I put ankle weights in a suitcase. My husband once objected, but I said that I want to walk like anybody else!

I do weights every other day : M, W, F, S and next week it is T, TH, Sat. The entire cycle repeats over an over again. It works better than just 3 days a week. My routine consists of dumbbells and ankle weights. I do these at home but a gym is also great, whatever works for you. 

My ankle was also very weak. I took PT twice - one for vestibular retraining and one for walking. The second time I learned that my ankle was weaker on the sides than front-back because when I walk or run, I exercise front and back more. So the therapist got me on Dynadisc- you just step on it and wobble for a few seconds. While you wobble, the sides of the ankle are working. I purchased it and do it at home.  My foot was also affected much more severely after the second surgery. I am not sure if yours is but if you need exercises, let me know. When I do my ankle weights, I include foot and ankle exercises that I got from PT and Internet.

One-sided weakness (or hemiparesis ) can affect a body three ways:
1) gross motor and fine motor movements (handwriting, grabbing, holding, etc , or walking)
2) fatigue - moving the affected limbs takes so much more effort. My incredible fatigue has lifted only when my hemiparesis got to a certain level.
3) balance - your weak side cannot support you and you can fall easily. Any ANer has a double whammy here, no balance nerve and the weak side is not to be relied on! My balance is so much better now that my right side is strong.

Your age is in your favor. You should recover much quicker than I did. i had my first surgery at 25 and I remember how my handwriting was affected. I did everything with my left (non-dominant) hand, I even wrote with it. There were plenty of opportunities back then and I was amazed at how good I became at writing with my left hand. Now that I am in my 40's I cannot do it. My handwriting is not pretty to look at but it is legible and it exists. I purchased a netbook for typing instead and walk around everywhere with it.

Sorry about your forced isolation from your baby. That must be incredibly hard. Hang in there! Everything will work out, just give it time. If you have any questions, shoot. Hemiparesis after AN surgery is not common, but it happens. It can be dealt with. As soon as your doctor give OK, start with some form of weights and you will be on your way to recovery. I know it is not advisable too soon after surgery but all doctors (and all patients) are different on this.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
Thanks Eve! That's a lot of great information!
I haven't found too much on hemiparesis (I'm not even sure if that's what they are calling my weakness or what exactly the standards are for it to be called that?) following surgery. My shoulder slumps down, too! My hand seems to be a lot more affected than my foot, though I did notice when trying to put flip flops on (mom treated me to a pedicure!) that the unaffected side went right in while the left couldn't "find" the sandal, like it bounced around from side to side - weird.
I'm lucky in a few things 1) my age, 2) my mom and dad are both personal trainers and my mom teaches a number of exercises classes so I have access to a lot more than most people, and 3) my non-dominant side was the one affected. My handwriting is okay (wasn't that good to begin with!) but I noticed while doing a coloring book with my kids that I didn't do so hot "staying in the lines". I'm hoping that's more of an issue from having plastic wrap (moisture chamber) on my eye than my hand! Can't wait to get my gold weight so I can loose the plastic! Anyway, I think I'm going to borrow one of my mom's Bosu balls to practice on noe that you mention the wobble disk.

jerseygirl

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
That's great Nicole! Everything is there to help you with your recovery!

I was not able to find much on hemiparesis, either. I found information and what helped in pieces. Some of it experience, some of it PT, some exercises for stroke survivors (although they are more severely affected) and some of it, believe it or not, websites devoted to dancers, like ballet in particular. I figured they are in occupation when they break their feet. What exercises do they do to get back in dancing? I feel that if I had all the information right away, I would have recovered months faster and it would save me days when I was so frustrated because I did not know what to do. Although I shouldn't complain: I had more of hemiparesis after the second surgery and am still recovering within the same timeframes from it.

As far as the "bounce" goes, this is what helps: sit on a chair or couch and try to pick up a small fist-size ball with your affected foot. The ball can be soft and squishy. My son has a myriad of soccer balls of all sizes, so I picked up one. You can even do this exercise while watching TV. There are no weights involved, so it should be OK with your doctor but ask him just in case. Just don't hold your breath, breath as you normally would. As a greater level of difficulty, do this without looking at your foot ( that is why TV is great - it makes you look straight). It will be just a matter of time before your foot "finds" your shoe and gets into it by itself. This is practiced by dancers, so why not us!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.